Incident - Nave Andromeda

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the sbs or sas get involved they don’t mess around!

Alas the media these days seem to use Twitter as the source for half their story and fill in the gaps, often badly, on the rest. Throw in terms like 'terrorist', 'hijack' and 'pirate' and you've got a

Just got back on PA yesterday ourselves, so perhaps we can expect them over here checking us out this afternoon. Will  make sure that Mrs C has put some washing on the line "Spotter choppers"  wi

Posted Images

Sky now reporting it as a small number of stowaways kicking off...The crew have withdrawn to their `safe area`..a few heavily armed Marines should sort it shortly. Probably due to the Master informing the authorities of their presence, wheras they intended to slip down the gangway at Fawley...

The vessel was inbound with a full cargo from Nigeria.

Police dealing with security incident involving number of stowaways on oil tanker off Isle of Wight

A Coastguard helicopter has been circling the Nave Andromeda, which was due to dock in Southampton this morning.

Police are dealing with a security incident involving a small number of stowaways aboard an oil tanker off the Isle of Wight, Sky News understands.

Sky's home affairs correspondent Mark White said: "We believe at least half a dozen stowaways were discovered at some point today.

"There are reports the crew are sheltering at certain points on the ship."

Authorities are still trying to establish the exact circumstances of the incident, but local reports suggest it could be an attempted hijacking.

The Nave Andromeda was due to dock in Southampton at 10.30am today and a Coastguard helicopter is circling the ship.

A restriction zone of five nautical miles is now in place around the vessel.

Hampshire Police have also deployed their own helicopter over the Isle of Wight.

The 228-metre long ship has been carrying 42,000 tonnes of crude oil and left Nigeria on 6 October before heading for Southampton.

The vessel had made a number of zig-zags around the area just off the Isle of Wight within a couple of hours, according to Marine Traffic.

If crew members are indeed sheltering on the ship, they could be on the vessel's bridge, according to Sky's Mark White.

They would be able to lock the area around the bridge to make it secure.

"It is clearly a serious incident that is unfolding," Mr White said.

"For the authorities, as well as ensuring this tanker comes into no harm, they want to make sure any other vessels around this oil tanker are safe and out of the way.

"But the top priority for the authorities is to make sure the crew are safe."

He added that the route is well-known for people smuggling - with immigrants coming from countries such as Iran, Iraq, Nigeria and Somalia - but the investigation is still in very early stages.

A Hampshire police spokesman said: "We are aware and dealing with an ongoing incident onboard a vessel which is situated south of the Isle of Wight.

"We will provide you with further updates when we are in a position to do so."

The Coastguard confirmed it is assisting police, and search and rescue helicopters from Lee on Solent and Lydd are attending the incident.

Home Secretary Priti Patel is being kept informed about the incident, according to Sky's political correspondent Joe Pike.

In December 2018, British forces stormed an Italian cargo ship and regained control after stowaways threatened crew members as it sailed in the Thames Estuary.

https://news.sky.com/story/police-dealing-with-ongoing-incident-aboard-oil-tanker-off-isle-of-wight-12114220

image_2020-10-25_155457.png

Seems that the vessel is under command by the crew she has changed course almost 180deg and slowed down. has a tug and a `fast craft` near her. No doubt waiting for darkness to fall.

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If the SBS would be kind enough to delay any operation until around 9am tomorrow morning, I'll be cruising past and will try to get some good photos from the aft deck of Normandie. 

Ed

Dont sleep in, early start and traffic can be fierce on a Monday morning....your not at home now..But at least you won`t have any tailboard acrobats to content with and don`t forget the Cheddar and Branston🤣

Edited by Paully
10 minutes ago, Paully said:

Dont sleep in, early start and traffic can be fierce on a Monday morning....your not at home now..But at least you won`t have any tailboard acrobats to content with and don`t forget the Cheddar and Branston🤣

Check in is at 6.45 I think and I was planning to be there on time. I'm a good, obedient customer as you well know. Ed. 

• Haha 1

Any one remember in Iranian siege of 1980?

it took nearly a week before the sas stormed the embassy so I doubt the sbs would storm the oil tanker tonight or tomorrow night.

Both the Bembridge and Selsey lifeboats have been tasked and are standing by as well as the tug Lomax from Fawley. The Chinook is out of Odiham and they will be used to this type of machine. Would`nt imagine it will be long now, although much will depend on the threat level to the crew.

Edited by Paully
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Check in is at 6.45 I think and I was planning to be there on time.

These 90 minute checkins are a pain, especially as they don't bother to move you to nearer the original time.

Management has now banned the morning crossing from Ouistreham which I used to enjoy and was cheap & we have now moved to Wednesday afternoon for the returns.

I would imagine that the main concern of the authorities is that the ship should not be driven aground which would cause a catatrophic pollution incident. The rocks of Bembridge ledge are not far away. The SBS will be able to operate at night with their equipment so the priority will be to take ontrol of the vessel.

She`s well out to sea now and sailing east from the Island, still shadowed by the 2 RNLI all weather boats, which makes me think she is still under the control of her crew. The Military will intervene when the time is perfect for them.

2 minutes ago, Paully said:

She`s well out to sea now and sailing east from the Island, still shadowed by the 2 RNLI all weather boats, which makes me think she is still under the control of her crew. The Military will intervene when the time is perfect for them.

Sky news is reporting that it’s all over and 7 people have been detained.

• Thanks 1

Three helicopters passed over the house here in Petersfield about 10 minutes ago heading north-west. They weren't making the usual whoomp-whoomp noise of the Chinooks (which I used to hear about child most weekends when we lived nearer Alton and Odiham) so perhaps they were returning to another airfield, maybe Middle Wallop or Fairford. Ed.