Travel time from Roscoff, St Malo, Cherbourg, Ouistreham, Le Havre and Dieppe

The French website 'géoportail' makes it possible to produce very precise isochronous maps. I offer you this interesting comparison from the main ports served by Brittany Ferries + Dieppe. What area of the territory is accessible in 2 hours by road ?

ROSCOFF :

image.thumb.png.666f3cea6cfbf9f809dfd9b8d78a91b3.png

SAINT MALO :

image.thumb.png.3f20f7482fd180d66e28f2da148dee89.png

CHERBOURG :

image.thumb.png.890549f2de8ef4de9f3eb1329b2636a1.png

Edited by LHCity

Answers a big Irish question for me...

The reason why the the Irish truckers, the associations and the port are pushing on with the links to Le Havre from Rosslare.

The sailing time will the same as Dublin to Cherbourg and the driving times to the logistical hubs around Rennes, Le Mans & Rouen will be shorter.

Regardless of what livery is on the funnel I have a feeling that a ship such as the out going Kerry would prove popular sailing two or three times a week.

4 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Interesting and quite striking how well St Malo and Caen are for holiday areas, St Malo in particular but I guess we all knew that.

It all depends on where you go on vacation. If it is in the South East, it is not ideal. For the Southwest it is Saint-Malo.

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Answers a big Irish question for me...

The reason why the the Irish truckers, the associations and the port are pushing on with the links to Le Havre from Rosslare.

The sailing time will the same as Dublin to Cherbourg and the driving times to the logistical hubs around Rennes, Le Mans & Rouen will be shorter.

Regardless of what livery is on the funnel I have a feeling that a ship such as the out going Kerry would prove popular sailing two or three times a week.

A ship like the Y. B. Yeats might be better off on a Le Havre / Rosslare service on a Cherbourg/Dublin service. We can see the potential that can be captured from Le Havre, especially the entire Paris region and Nothern. It is interesting that it is not fast to reach Cherbourg from Rennes, as Le Havre.

Ex Pride-Of-Portsmouth and Pride-of-Le Havre would have been perfect on the Le Havre / Rosslare route...

Edited by LHCity
2 hours ago, LHCity said:

A ship like the Y. B. Yeats might be better off on a Le Havre / Rosslare service on a Cherbourg/Dublin service. We can see the potential that can be captured from Le Havre, especially the entire Paris region and Nothern. It is interesting that it is not fast to reach Cherbourg from Rennes, as Le Havre.

Ex Pride-Of-Portsmouth and Pride-of-Le Havre would have been perfect on the Le Havre / Rosslare route...

Passenger numbers from Ireland to France aren't big, both Stena & Irish ferries have streamlined services since around 2015. Whilst they'll add capacity on one route it invariably means they remove it from another or services will be increased on a seasonal basis. Since 2011 passenger numbers across all of the Irish ports has been falling. In 9 years it's dropped nearly 500,000.

Consider the E-Flexer, a behemoth of a ship. Stena's carry less than 1000 passengers, their increased capacity is geared towards freight.

The key to services to Le Havre in the first instance is have the scales tipped more towards freight and offer limited passenger numbers such as those on a RoPax like a Visentini. There's no market yet for a passenger heavy cruise ferry.

Yes, Normandie has a 2000 pax capacity but her sailings planned for Le Havre were about offering the limited number of passengers BF carried the same service level as their other French destinations and more berths not to mention the ability to Roll on & Roll off rather than be confined to stern only loading. They'd then also have the capacity to offer those passengers who wanted to travel to Caen but couldn't due popularity the chance to still sail on the day they wished to a port closer than Cherbourg.

The Olau Peter Pans chartered by P&O were ultimately sold to Mediterranean operators as there was no place for them on the channel due to their limited vehicle decks and the Pride of Bilbao began to lose out on the Spanish route for the same reason.

If Irish Ferries removed Y.B Yeats from the very lucrative Dublin - Holyhead route they'd begin to lose money. If  they did begin a service from Rosslare during 2021 they'd use Epsilon which has been chartered for a further 12 months.

Commercially Rosslare aren't really considering the passenger numbers the routes to France or Spain can attract, improvements to the passenger facilities at the port are the final phase of their Masterplan. It's about releasing freight pressure at Dublin... circumventing the Landbridge...giving hauliers what they want - daily sailings to France... the secured TEN-T funding and using Le Havre as traffic will increase due to the unaccompanied freight they'll be carrying to serve the Cherbourg rail link. 

6 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

I assume the maps were produced based on HGV traffic, as I can make Rennes from Roscoff in just over an hour in a car. What speed was used as a base for the maps?

Google maps suggests that trip will take over two hours under normal conditions. What do you drive? A Delorean? Ed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

I assume the maps were produced based on HGV traffic, as I can make Rennes from Roscoff in just over an hour in a car. What speed was used as a base for the maps?

As Ed says, I'd love to know how you do that.  It takes me about 2 hours, from departing the port to joining the peripherique from the N12

Our place is close to Pontivy and I was wondering how they came up with  2 hour travel time from Roscoff.

Given fair wind I can easily do it in 90 minutes. Same from St Malo, so long as you ignore the dash  board navigator and cut cross country from Dinan.

Rhys

Agreeing with the above wonderment ... We can do Roscoff to home, just south of Dinard, in exactly 2 hours with a clear run, respecting speed limits. A couple of years ago someone claimed not much more than half of that. Nonsense, illegal or downright dangerous.

The last 7 kms or so of our route home are on small roads, but shorter distance than Rennes. I have once or twice done Roscoff to St Gregoire on the north side of Rennes and time was +/- 2 hours 15 minutes.

3 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

I find that hard to believe unless you drive well above the legal speed limit. I do very regularly the trip between Roscoff and the west suburb of Saint-Brieuc (2k from from the N12) and I have never managed to do it in less than an hour. This is even with adopting a dynamic style of driving to say it wisely (just in case some police forces are reading this thread...). Reaching Rennes from St-Brieuc's Airport located by the N12 takes another hour.

It's 200+ kms just to Pace on the outskirts where the ringroad splits. I wonder if BigDW1946 actually got off the ferry in St Malo or Ouistreham. The former takes an hour at most if the queues leaving the port aren't too long and the latter is doable in about 75 minutes if you push up to 150kmph on the motorway and know where the cameras are but highly inadvisable. Ed 

11 hours ago, jonno said:

Passenger numbers from Ireland to France aren't big, both Stena & Irish ferries have streamlined services since around 2015. Whilst they'll add capacity on one route it invariably means they remove it from another or services will be increased on a seasonal basis. Since 2011 passenger numbers across all of the Irish ports has been falling. In 9 years it's dropped nearly 500,000.

Consider the E-Flexer, a behemoth of a ship. Stena's carry less than 1000 passengers, their increased capacity is geared towards freight.

The key to services to Le Havre in the first instance is have the scales tipped more towards freight and offer limited passenger numbers such as those on a RoPax like a Visentini. There's no market yet for a passenger heavy cruise ferry.

Yes, Normandie has a 2000 pax capacity but her sailings planned for Le Havre were about offering the limited number of passengers BF carried the same service level as their other French destinations and more berths not to mention the ability to Roll on & Roll off rather than be confined to stern only loading. They'd then also have the capacity to offer those passengers who wanted to travel to Caen but couldn't due popularity the chance to still sail on the day they wished to a port closer than Cherbourg.

The Olau Peter Pans chartered by P&O were ultimately sold to Mediterranean operators as there was no place for them on the channel due to their limited vehicle decks and the Pride of Bilbao began to lose out on the Spanish route for the same reason.

If Irish Ferries removed Y.B Yeats from the very lucrative Dublin - Holyhead route they'd begin to lose money. If  they did begin a service from Rosslare during 2021 they'd use Epsilon which has been chartered for a further 12 months.

Commercially Rosslare aren't really considering the passenger numbers the routes to France or Spain can attract, improvements to the passenger facilities at the port are the final phase of their Masterplan. It's about releasing freight pressure at Dublin... circumventing the Landbridge...giving hauliers what they want - daily sailings to France... the secured TEN-T funding and using Le Havre as traffic will increase due to the unaccompanied freight they'll be carrying to serve the Cherbourg rail link. 

I think, however, that we should not overlook the attractiveness of a ferry link between France and Ireland just a 2 hour drive from Paris. It can have a strong tourist impact.

I generally agree with you, but to know the subject well from my job, I do not give much future to the Freight rail link to or from Cherbourg. It is a project that is not viable. Rail freight is not working very well in France. Imagine that the port of Le Havre (the first commercial port in France) provides only 2% of its rail service. This is the major weakness of Le Havre against the northern ports (Anvers, Rotterdam, Hamburg). Even when infrastructure exists, operators are unable to make fixed costs profitable. There is no infrastructure at the end of the railway to unload containers.

Edited by LHCity

I think, however, that we should not overlook the attractiveness of a ferry link between France and Ireland just a 2 hour drive from Paris. It can have a strong tourist impact.

Especially as Paris appears to have been evacuated yesterday according to news reports (with the population taking the virus with them)

Regarding talk of Rosslare - Le Havre.

I did some digging this week and everything is quiet within Irish Sea circles so if this is happening it is being kept very hush hush.  I am told the Irish Government isn't willing to help fund it either.

15 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Apologies for my gaff. Yes I was thinking of St Malo to Rennes. Shouldn't read these postings so early in the morning. At keasr it gave you all something to talk about.

I'll call off the cops in that case.

Obviously there is now no need to change the thread title from 'travel time' to 'time travel' after all. 

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course it's not this simple. We live an hour and half from Plynouth and three and half from Portsmouth, so although Roscoff to Bordeaux for us would seem a longer journey than St Malo to Bordeaux, the journey before the ferry makes it a no brainer for us to go from Plymouth to Roscoff.

That said the way things are going we could well be travelling to Bordeaux via the Chunnell as by spring next year options may be wearing thin! That make sit a massive journey!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, muppetdodger said:

Of course it's not this simple. We live an hour and half from Plynouth and three and half from Portsmouth, so although Roscoff to Bordeaux for us would seem a longer journey than St Malo to Bordeaux, the journey before the ferry makes it a no brainer for us to go from Plymouth to Roscoff.

That said the way things are going we could well be travelling to Bordeaux via the Chunnell as by spring next year options may be wearing thin! That make sit a massive journey!

Very true.  It's always a complex mix of preferences.  It's like how some would rather take indirect flights than travel to an airport further away as it could mean a night in a hotel either or both ways or its just a pain that you have 2 or 3 hours to get home when you get off a plane.