News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Le Havre becomes the 4th largest European port

This week, the French government announced the merger of the Seine Axis ports, bringing together Le Havre, Rouen and Paris. Le Havre will be the headquarters of this new European giant, ranked 4th largest European port just behind Hamburg. This represents 120 million tonnes of freight per year, all types of freight combined.

"The creation of the future large State seaport bringing together the ports of Le Havre, Rouen and Paris (Haropa) has taken new steps with, on the one hand the appointment of Stéphane Raison as general manager and on the other hand the choice from the headquarters of this future establishment in Le Havre, on June 1, 2021. France's leading commercial port, the new port complex will be able to weigh more heavily in the competition with other major European hubs. With nearly 120 million tonnes of sea and river traffic each year and activities representing more than 130,000 direct and indirect jobs, a sustainable logistics system, HAROPA is becoming an essential maritime hub. In addition to the integration of the three port establishments which will strengthen its economic model, Haropa should benefit from the additional resources provided by the additional € 175 million provided for under the recovery plan. Stéphane Raison, Chairman of the Management Board of the large seaport of Dunkirk, has solid experience in the port and transport sector to complete the finalization of the establishment of the establishment."

https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/deux-nouvelles-etapes-importantes-creation-du-nouveau-grand-port-maritime-detat-reunissant-havre

700095-grand-paris.jpg?modified_at=1418308321&width=960

• Like 1
  • Jim locked and unlocked this topic

This article makes me chuckle a little bit. Combining ports which (as the crow flies) are over a hundred miles apart to create Europe's 4th largest port is daft.

Maybe Tlibury, London Gateway and Felixstowe could combine and relegate Le Havre further down the list!

The combined port is called Haropa not Le Havre

16 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

This article makes me chuckle a little bit. Combining ports which (as the crow flies) are over a hundred miles apart to create Europe's 4th largest port is daft.

Maybe Tlibury, London Gateway and Felixstowe could combine and relegate Le Havre further down the list!

Maybe if we add Brighton Marina with Tilbury etc, we could say that Brighton Marina is the largest port in the UK !

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Danim24 said:

I think it means that when one goes on strike they are all paralysed. One for all and all for one. Ed. 

• Haha 1

Even if the ports are far away, it makes sense if we think in the logistics chain. The northern ports are also very extensive inland. The Seine is a natural corridor. Napoleon already said "Paris, Rouen, Le Havre, a single city of which the Seine is the main street ". HaRoPa is the current name of the grouping of the ports of Le Havre de Rouen and Paris => https://www.haropaports.com/fr 

This is not the future name of the establishment after the administrative merger. What is certain is that the head office will be located in Le Havre opposite the Transmanche Terminal.

In the longer term, there is talk of merging Marseille and Lyon into a port complex covering the Rhone valley. It has already been done for a long time with Nantes and St Nazaire.

Edited by LHCity
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Napoleon already said "Paris, Rouen, Le Havre, a single city of which the Seine is the main street "

I believe he also said:

"In politics, stupidity is not a handicap." (En politique, une absurdité n'est pas un obstacle)

So maybe we shouldn't be quite so enthusiastic in following his suggestions. 

Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I believe he also said:

"In politics, stupidity is not a handicap." (En politique, une absurdité n'est pas un obstacle)

Ed. 

though he was right in that, going by last night!

7 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I believe he also said:

Ed. 

In any case the reality is there whether you like it or not. The Seine is a natural and physical link around which an industry and a logistics chain has been built up since the end of the 19th century. After that, we must be clear, in this regrouping, the ports of Rouen and Paris serve as a rear base for the port of Le Havre, in particular to irrigate the entire northern part of France, including the Paris region.

Napoléon was a great visionary, that's why he has so many fans in England (much more than in France for that matter) 😉

It is no coincidence that a large part of today's French political and administrative structures are directly heirs to Napoleon.

Edited by LHCity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great news. Be such a shame if BF ever left LH (not that I think they will any time soon), as it's such a contrast to other BF destinations in France. Other than 'gateway to Paris', its a fab destination in itself...

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

Will BF tickets and booking options now show the sailings as going from Portsmouth to HaRoPa? It sounds like the noise my cat makes when she has furballs. 

Ed

probably so if other destinations display "Norman Ports Associates" 😆

The real innovation would be to create a Fluvial BF service from Le Havre to Paris. 😁