FSG Hull No. 774 - A new chapter

As the vessel formerly known as Honfleur has finally arrived at the Fosen shipyard I think a new heading/thread is called for because the next chapter in her troubled life starts now. At least we can now discount the scrapping theory once and for all, the yard seem perfectly capable to take on what can only be described as an interesting project, but I see no reason to believe the sad, rusting hulk we saw in those pictures just a few days ago will emerge as a proud, spanking new looking vessel in around 12 months. She certainly deserves it and I’ll be watching her progress with interest.

Chris

Mods If I’ve put this in the wrong place please feel free to move it, but somehow she still feels like a BF ship...

• Like 2
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Everyone, I have gathered as much as I could find and speculate about Honfleur (FSG 774) over the past few days. I tried to make sure that most of the stuff that I mention in this post isn't rep

130 is really a sample number based on a range of different accompanied and unaccompanied traffic.  Giving a trailer capacity for any ship is always hypothetical.   As food for thought, see this link

Ok, let’s try again... Now that the vessel formerly known as Honfleur has finally arrived at Fosen shipyard I think a new heading/thread is called for because the next chapter in her troubled lif

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

but I see no reason to believe the sad, rusting hulk we saw in those pictures just a few days ago will emerge as a proud, spanking new looking vessel in around 12 months

Shouldn't that be 'won't' not 'will'?

😉 Ed. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I see no reason to believe the sad, rusting hulk we saw in those pictures just a few days ago will emerge as a proud, spanking new looking vessel in around 12 months.

The notion that she will be scrapped seems silly to me. Honfleur has come too far, and Fosen won't go through all this just to scrap her.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Ok, let’s try again...

Now that the vessel formerly known as Honfleur has finally arrived at Fosen shipyard I think a new heading/thread is called for because the next chapter in her troubled life starts now. At least we can discount the scrapping theory once and for all, the yard seem perfectly capable to take on what can only be described as an interesting project, but I can’t see any reason why the sad, rusting hulk we saw in those pictures just a few days ago won’t emerge as a proud, spanking new looking vessel in around 12 months. She certainly deserves it and I’ll be watching her progress with interest.

Happy now??!😂

Chris

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
22 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The notion that she will be scrapped seems silly to me. Honfleur has come too far, and Fosen won't go through all this just to scrap her.

I quite agree Tony, but the first time anybody mentioned the word scrapping on here was your good self back on the old Honfleur thread...as per below

I’m still convinced her time will eventually come and wherever she ends up, whether that be the Irish Sea, English Channel, the Baltic or even Tasmania, she will be a success.

Chris

Over the past few weeks, Brittany Ferries have been exploring all the options regarding 'Honfleur' and whether the ship could be completed at an alternative shipyard.

However, this morning, a BF source has told me that Brittany Ferries will definitely not be taking 'Honfleur'.

What happens to the ship now? Who knows. Maybe another company will take her on, but there is also a possibility that she will end up being scrapped. Such a shame

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would be interesting to know what the Fossen contract is for, the original Shippax article mentioned storage until a buyer is found followed by completion to the buyers specification, however maybe more will done to the essential stuff first.

I don't think that we should rule out BF if the package is right.

2 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

This from the Fosen Shipyard website just now, sounds to me like they have far more than just storage in mind David....

Chris

https://fosenyard.com/ukategorisert/fsg-774-safely-arrived/

Makes sense, I was only quoting the Shippax article, however a spec of 'get it finished as cheaply as you can' would make sense and then any future owner could make modifications if required or maybe Siem would charter it out.

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

I quite agree Tony, but the first time anybody mentioned the word scrapping on here was your good self back on the old Honfleur thread...as per below

I’m still convinced her time will eventually come and wherever she ends up, whether that be the Irish Sea, English Channel, the Baltic or even Tasmania, she will be a success.

Chris

Over the past few weeks, Brittany Ferries have been exploring all the options regarding 'Honfleur' and whether the ship could be completed at an alternative shipyard.

However, this morning, a BF source has told me that Brittany Ferries will definitely not be taking 'Honfleur'.

What happens to the ship now? Who knows. Maybe another company will take her on, but there is also a possibility that she will end up being scrapped. Such a shame

"Possibity she may be scrapped", - I never said she would be scrapped. 

What I posted came from my source at BF, they were not my words.

41 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

"Possibity she may be scrapped", - I never said she would be scrapped. 

What I posted came from my source at BF, they were not my words.

What you posted alluded to input from a source, but without a direct quote or a clear representation it's not unreasonable for Chris to have the impression the subsequent comments were yours. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Jim said:

What you posted alluded to input from a source, but without a direct quote or a clear representation it's not unreasonable for Chris to have the impression the subsequent comments were yours. 

It seemed pretty clear to me.

"However, this morning, a BF source has told me that Brittany Ferries will definitely not be taking 'Honfleur'.

What happens to the ship now? Who knows. Maybe another company will take her on, but there is also a possibility that she will end up being scrapped. Such a shame!"

10 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

It seemed pretty clear to me.

"However, this morning, a BF source has told me that Brittany Ferries will definitely not be taking 'Honfleur'.

What happens to the ship now? Who knows. Maybe another company will take her on, but there is also a possibility that she will end up being scrapped. Such a shame!"

You can't just add quotation marks now! Especially as you've put them in the wrong place. Ed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

It doesn't matter how it was written, it clearly states a BF Source has told me.

It does matter though - if it didn't, there wouldn't be any differing views over the varying interpretations of it...

• Like 3