Jump to content

FSG Hull No. 774 - A new chapter


Recommended Posts

My interpretation also Danim24. But following on from your last comment, Normandie has an internal ramp from decks 3 to 5 and I’m pretty confident MSM has too (wasn’t this confirmed on another thread recently?). 
 

I agree they were all designed for the Portsmouth-Caen route but from a safety aspect you would have thought if there was some reason why access to deck 5 became difficult because of fire, a fuel leak, or a vessel had to divert in an emergency to a port with a single link span, then that internal ramp would become a welcome (and possibly statutory) facility.

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

130 is really a sample number based on a range of different accompanied and unaccompanied traffic.  Giving a trailer capacity for any ship is always hypothetical.   As food for thought, see this link

Ok, let’s try again... Now that the vessel formerly known as Honfleur has finally arrived at Fosen shipyard I think a new heading/thread is called for because the next chapter in her troubled lif

No offence meant, the important thing is being able to laugh at yourself. Many, many years ago the hour went back at the end of September in France, end of October in the U.K., meaning for one month o

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

from a safety aspect you would have thought if there was some reason why access to deck 5 became difficult because of fire, a fuel leak, or a vessel had to divert in an emergency to a port with a single link span, then that internal ramp would become a welcome (and possibly statutory) facility.

 

Yet none of the Dover ferries have them, so it would be interesting to know if there is such regulation and or it differs depending on length of crossing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I agree they were all designed for the Portsmouth-Caen route but from a safety aspect you would have thought if there was some reason why access to deck 5 became difficult because of fire, a fuel leak, or a vessel had to divert in an emergency to a port with a single link span, then that internal ramp would become a welcome (and possibly statutory) facility.

Rather than safety, isn't it likely that this feature was added by BF because there is a greater chance of route swapping / cascading of ships in their fleet?

With the exception of relief cover for Cairnryan there's hardly any movement of ships from Do-Cal to the (few) other routes served by P&O 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danim24 said:

Yet none of the Dover ferries have them,

Are you 100% sure about that? I’m not in a position to comment one way or the other, but just because they’re not used in everyday operations doesn’t mean they don’t exist. On Normandie it’s obvious, port side from memory and the car shakes and rattles as you drive over the metal ridges but on MSM it’s almost invisible from deck 5, maybe more obvious from deck 3 looking up. I’ll try to research that one, otherwise @jonno might be able to enlighten us once he wakes up...😂

Chris

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of an internal ramp in the Dover ferries is why they have limited use elsewhere.  Pride of Dover and Pride of Calais went to early breaking because of this restriction on their versatility.  The former Honfleur is just as bespoke for the Caen route, so in the discussion about how adaptable she is for use elsewhere, the presence or absence of an operationally-effective internal ramp (such as the one in Armorique - not just an emergency one like in Normandie) between her main vehicle decks is very relevant.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

On Normandie it’s obvious, port side from memory and the car shakes and rattles as you drive over the metal ridges

Those bloody ridges almost curdled my cheese haul last Monday coming back to France. Ed. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Are you 100% sure about that?

Yep. None of the current fleet (DFDS & P&O) have internal ramps between decks 3 and 5. Nor any of the previous fleet that I can remember. As Viking Voyager states, the Sprits have an additional car deck above the freight decks which is accessible via permanent ramps on the fore and aft decks. This is also the case for DFDS's D Class ships which serve Dunkerque.

Edited by Danim24
Spelling.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hull 774 has hoistable tilting ramps accessed via the front door in the deckhouse bulkhead or the stern ramp. They can be fixed in place for twin loading linkspans or tilted to allow loading through a single level span accessing the stern door & clam shells.

Off the top of my head MSM has hoistable decks accessed via the bulkhead door which creates a vehicle deck on lvl 6.

Normandie has hoistable decks for lvls 3 & 4 and hoistable tilting ramps for lvls 5 & 6.

They look the same when your sitting in your car, it's the operation which is different, hoistable decks have shorter ramps and less height clearance which is noticeable on older ferries which weren't really built for the modern, taller freight trailers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

Yep. None of the current fleet (DFDS & P&O) have internal ramps between decks 3 and 5. Nor any of the previous fleet that I can remember. As Viking Voyager states, the Sprits have an additional car deck above the freight decks which is accessible via permanent ramps on the fore and aft decks. This is also the case for DFDS's D Class ships which serve Dunkerque.

The Samsung built ferries have 3 vehicle decks, how do the access one of them without a ramp or hoistable deck?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2020 at 10:15, Fine Whine said:

This from the Fosen Shipyard website just now, sounds to me like they have far more than just storage in mind David....

Chris

https://fosenyard.com/ukategorisert/fsg-774-safely-arrived/

I wonder if it's a smart move... The only place more expensive to commission something than Germany is Norway. That will add a hefty chunk to her bill no matter what they do. Pint of lager in Oslo is still about 13 quid! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Fly into Newquay - Trago I am sure would do a great deal on white paint!

Trago mills in Falmouth will be the best bet.

it’s the only place I know that sells so much rubbish that your bags get searched when you enter to make sure you are not brining anything they deem worth steeling!😳🙄😂😆

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2020 at 19:16, jonno said:

She has 2600 full height lane metres which will be more or less the same as the next two E - Flexers for BF and she was to have over 800 berths in 260 cabins. what's bespoke about that?

If this would mean that she'd be unsuitable for a longer overnight crossing, Cap Finistere must be a terrible experience - which of course she isn't.

I checked the official records and it's all a bit complex.

Car lane metre capacity is given as 2600 lm based on Deck 5 (1490 lm) and hoistable platforms on deck 6 (1100 lm)  - 2600 lm.

Freight lane metre capacity is 2200 lm based on Deck 3 (1130 lm) and Deck 5 (1070 lm)

In terms of Deck 5.  A freight lane metre on this vessel is 3m wide, a car lane metre is 2.4m wide.  So on each side of the centre casing you have 4 freight lanes or 5 car lanes. 

Obviously more cars could be carried on Deck 3 but then you'd exceed the passenger capacity.  So you probably would want Deck 3 full of freight and Decks 5 and 6 full of cars for an optimal profit making load.

There is a single hoistable internal ramp linking deck 3 to deck 5, situated midships on starboard side and is just one freight lane wide.  Obviously, this is contingency planning as it is designed to be used for double-deck loading.

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

I checked the official records and it's all a bit complex.

Car lane metre capacity is given as 2600 lm based on Deck 5 (1490 lm) and hoistable platforms on deck 6 (1100 lm)  - 2600 lm.

Freight lane metre capacity is 2200 lm based on Deck 3 (1130 lm) and Deck 5 (1070 lm)

In terms of Deck 5.  A freight lane metre on this vessel is 3m wide, a car lane metre is 2.4m wide.  So on each side of the centre casing you have 4 freight lanes or 5 car lanes. 

Obviously more cars could be carried on Deck 3 but then you'd exceed the passenger capacity.  So you probably would want Deck 3 full of freight and Decks 5 and 6 full of cars for an optimal profit making load.

There is a single ramp from Deck 3 to Deck 5 too.

Thanks G.

The 3 - 5 ramp allowing loading through the clamshells or bulkhead door.

 I note that all of the literature points to an total tractor trailer freight loading of 130, that's pushing 2400 lane metres so possibly BF's announcement of 2600 is nearer the mark?

 http://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/media/pdf/9/q/The_MV_Honfleur.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jonno said:

Thanks G.

The 3 - 5 ramp allowing loading through the clamshells or bulkhead door.

 I note that all of the literature points to an total tractor trailer freight loading of 130, that's pushing 2400 lane metres so possibly BF's announcement of 2600 is nearer the mark?

 http://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/media/pdf/9/q/The_MV_Honfleur.pdf

130 is really a sample number based on a range of different accompanied and unaccompanied traffic.  Giving a trailer capacity for any ship is always hypothetical.   As food for thought, see this link which doesn't even cover all freight cargoes https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/maximum-length-of-vehicles-used-in-great-britain/maximum-length-of-vehicles-used-in-great-britain?fbclid=IwAR3pje1ZWI9oj4nWdT-4UdsFkuVzI36fwdtnSaM7-Ng9QSphPEPGBaOB8GI

Bottom line is the actual max freight lane metres is 2200.  Attached some stuff that might be of interest :) 

123310152_355894852310457_77047391564350036_n.jpg

123455297_438681527113468_2655520718064728279_n.jpg

123815261_806004550239938_2669701238010765437_n.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...