FSG Hull No. 774 - A new chapter

On 04/11/2020 at 12:59, VikingVoyager said:

Adding a ramp isn't that hard though? The old Pride of Kent had one added I think.

And of course, the D Class and Spirits have ramps linking the upper car deck and upper freight deck (just nothing between the two freight spaces)

It may not be a simple task.  If a ship was designed with such future modifications in mind obviously it should be pretty straightforward.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Kent had been designed with it in mind for the future given what was then TT had potential use for her outside of Dover - Calais back then.  However, construction techniques have changed over the years and there could be a real risk of cutting through something structural or taking too much steel out and having to compensate.  There’s also the rerouting of pipes, wiring, etc.  That all costs money which may not be justifiable on a ship with nearly 3 decades intensive service under its belt,  Unfortunately it’s not necessarily a case of cutting a big hole through the deck and installing a ramp.

On 04/11/2020 at 13:30, Danim24 said:

Yep. None of the current fleet (DFDS & P&O) have internal ramps between decks 3 and 5. Nor any of the previous fleet that I can remember. As Viking Voyager states, the Sprits have an additional car deck above the freight decks which is accessible via permanent ramps on the fore and aft decks. This is also the case for DFDS's D Class ships which serve Dunkerque.

DIEPPE SEAWAYS did, as did MALO SEAWAYS (59m x 3m).  EUROPEAN ENDEAVOUR also had internal ramps as she was designed for Irish Sea operation.

On 04/11/2020 at 13:35, Danim24 said:

The Dieppe Seaways (ex. Superfast X, Seafrance Molliere) had a lift to the lower hold, which was unused on the Dover/Calais service.

SeaFrance Moliere had a 34m x 2.5m fixed ramp to the lower hold covered by a hatch. It’s still there.

Internal ramps are a pretty standard feature on new builds as they give a lot of added flexibility (and sale charter potential in the future).  They also come in handy if there is a failure either ship side or shore side forcing single level loading, or if the ship doesn’t fit a given linkspan on both levels (*cough*)!  It no longer makes sense for the Dover ships I guess as they pretty much only fit there and on Larne - Cairnryan anyway (to a point as Seaway is pretty much the max length Larne can manage at present anyway)!  They are designed to last 25+ years at Dover, by which stage they have had a very hard life of constant turnarounds (the lack of internal ramps on P.O. Dover/Calais wasn’t the only thing going against them being used elsewhere).  To be of use away from the eastern channel the “latest” generation would need to have surgery much greater than just cutting off the cow catcher 🐮.

• Like 4
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

130 is really a sample number based on a range of different accompanied and unaccompanied traffic.  Giving a trailer capacity for any ship is always hypothetical.   As food for thought, see this link

Ok, let’s try again... Now that the vessel formerly known as Honfleur has finally arrived at Fosen shipyard I think a new heading/thread is called for because the next chapter in her troubled lif

No offence meant, the important thing is being able to laugh at yourself. Many, many years ago the hour went back at the end of September in France, end of October in the U.K., meaning for one month o

Posted Images

2 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

DIEPPE SEAWAYS did, as did MALO SEAWAYS (59m x 3m).  EUROPEAN ENDEAVOUR also had internal ramps as she was designed for Irish Sea operation.

It must be a hoist ramp then as there was no ramp between decks 3 and 5 on the few trips I made on her from Dover.

Just now, Danim24 said:

It must be a hoist ramp then as there was no ramp between decks 3 and 5 on the few trips I made on her from Dover.

They generally are between deck 3 and 5.  More deck space that way!  Between deck 3 and 1 they can put other things in the void below of course.

No offence meant, the important thing is being able to laugh at yourself. Many, many years ago the hour went back at the end of September in France, end of October in the U.K., meaning for one month only both countries shared the same time. We arrived at Ouistreham 2 hours before the afternoon departure ( or so I thought) and decided to take a stroll along Riva-Bella beach.

In those day it was a fledgling one ship service so Imagine my dismay to see DDN sailing out of the harbour an hour later, clever clogs hadn’t read the ticket properly and an expensive trip to Calais to get back for work the next day was the only option. 

And to really celebrate that gaffe in style we stopped for fuel in Dover and I managed to put petrol in a diesel car.....😡🤣

Chris

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

the important thing is being able to laugh at yourself.

I managed to book two crossings from UK to Ireland (instead of one to go and one to return). They were with separate companies so we didn't realise until turning up at Rosslare, expecting to find Stena Europe waiting and instead finding an empty port.

Luckily, it was summer and a Sea Lynx service was running so we didn't have to wait for the Europe to plod back. Still never been on the Europe though, sadly.

I know the feeling Dave. We’re into day 10 of self-isolation having come into contact with my daughter who tested positive for this wretched virus. The only time we’ve been away from home was to head for the testing station where thankfully the result was negative. Everything I can reach with a paint brush has changed colour, the garden’s been dug twice, managed to secure a Tesco home delivery slot because the gin had run out, only to find someone had forgotten to pack the gin! Tonic yes, lemons yes, but no gin - what a crisis but resolved the following morning.

Anyway back to France on Thursday and a monster bill from the kennels who’ve been taking care of our 2 dogs...

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, colin said:

Going slightly astern, I read that FSG have received a roro order "from their owner", with a photo of a DFDS roro, and tags FSG, Siem, DFDS. Subscription only on Le Marin.

FSG press release

https://www.fsg-ship.de/wordpress/en/order-to-build-a-roro-ferry-plus-option-for-a-second-roro-ferry-for-flensburger-schiffbaugesellschaft/

Seems to be a speculative order to allow the yard to survive !

Edited by David Williams
Just now, LHCity said:

I have the feeling that Brittany Ferries could recover the Honfleur at a lower cost after the end of the work? Is it just a personal feeling?

You could well be right...stranger things have happened in the past.

4 minutes ago, Paully said:

You could well be right...stranger things have happened in the past.

Sorry for this question which may seem stupid to you, but is the yard retaliatory? On an idea of the end of the work?

5 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Sorry for this question which may seem stupid to you, but is the yard retaliatory? On an idea of the end of the work?

I don't understand the question in that context.  Can you write what you meant in French so I can check the meaning?

Thanks.

Ed

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I don't understand the question in that context.  Can you write what you meant in French so I can check the meaning?

Thanks.

Ed

excusez moi. Le chantier a-t-il repris sur le Honfleur ? Si oui, une date de fin de travaux est-elle annoncée ?

Edited by LHCity

OK. That's clear enough. 

She's been moved by tugs to a different yard in Northern Norway to apparently be finished off with the hope a buyer will be found for her. As far as I'm aware there has been no clear timescale suggested for the work but 'a year' was I think reported as necessary to get her finished for BF before they withdrew their interest and money. 

Ed

• Thanks 1

It does appear that work is starting to at least get her to a 'Commissioned' state, I  assume that means completed to the approval of the certification body (was Bureau Veritas). No timings have been announced, I assume that Siem will be looking for buyers in the mean time who may require changes, if not they well try and charter her out.

https://fosenyard.com/ukategorisert/fsg-774-safely-arrived/