FSG Hull No. 774 - A new chapter

Fine Whine

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Another possibility is simply that IF have bought her and will charter her out to BF.

Siem own a number of ships that are chartered out, can’t see IF buying her then chartering her out.

59 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Siem own a number of ships that are chartered out, can’t see IF buying her then chartering her out.

But you'll admit that this time last year you didn't see BF chucking in the towel regarding Honfleur either, did you?

19 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Siem describe Honfleur as dual fuelled.

Yes, LNG and Breton tears, the latter of which contain large amounts of combustible alcohol. 🤣

Ed

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:
1 hour ago, David Williams said:

But you'll admit that this time last year you didn't see BF chucking in the towel regarding Honfleur either, did you?

Siem have said that they want to either sell the ship or do a long term charter. It would he interesting if Irish Ferries buy her and then sail her into a BF port with the name Honfleur !

• Haha 1

IF pulled their order for a new build for the Dublin-Holyhead route so there could be a use there.  Or the cabin space could be reconfigured for enhanced freight driver facilities for Dover-Calais.  

30 minutes ago, IanN said:

Poole to Gijon could be an option for IF. (Jonno will tell me she won't fit)

187m long? She'll fit Poole.

I doubt she'd go to I.F unless they plan to use her for Cherbourg as she has far too many cabins for their other routes and too few lane metres.

How about this...

Siem long term charter/purchase option her to BAI to replace Connemara at Rosslare. This would allow them to sell the 20 year old CF rather than look at using her on the route when Salamanca arrives?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

That was my first thought, but the choice of country of registration and base of the management company have got the Dover rumours going, I think

Yes, that and the general lack of anything else being available.

I wonder if Calais Seaways is destined for IF and Dover Calais when their new E-flexer arrives. If that did happen she would then have sailed for seven operators on the channel and six from Dover? Surely a record?

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, jonno said:

Siem long term charter/purchase option her to BAI to replace Connemara at Rosslare. This would allow them to sell the 20 year old CF rather than look at using her on the route when Salamanca arrives?

BAI/BF is an obvious choice if they have the cash flow to support it, Cyprus is a red herring, flags can change overnight and they would not want it French flagged at the moment.

ps, however Connemara is Cyprus flagged at present !

Edited by David Williams

A charter to buy seems the likely route given nobody is going to be too flush with cash just now. I notice in the world of football that quite a few deals currently are loans to buy, presumably because everyone is trying to spend as little as possible now, with a view to having more income next year. The travel industry is in a similar situation i suppose.

The most recent photos on here suggested quite a bit of work still to be done, she would need sea trials etc first, so must still be a couple of months away from being ready at least?

6 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

A charter to buy seems the likely route given nobody is going to be too flush with cash just now.

Siem are quite good at raising cash in Asia, They would be fine with a long term charter with an option to buy.

7 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Yes, that and the general lack of anything else being available.

I wonder if Calais Seaways is destined for IF and Dover Calais when their new E-flexer arrives. If that did happen she would then have sailed for seven operators on the channel and six from Dover? Surely a record?

Looks like said E-flexer is crossing the Bay of Biscay right now, so perhaps we will find out. It would make more sense for IF to have Calais Seaways in the short term than Honfleur surely? Plus DFDS will want to offload it somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this video on YouTube:

It shows off a good look at some of the interiors and partially confirms what they are doing with the interior, which is going with the original plans. We also get a look at  (as far as I’m aware) a previously unseen part of the public spaces.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Edwards said:

Just found this video on YouTube:

It shows off a good look at some of the interiors and partially confirms what they are doing with the interior, which is going with the original plans. We also get a look at  (as far as I’m aware) a previously unseen part of the public spaces.

Unless they've ripped loads of stuff out to start over, then the videos we were shown of BF employees walking around various parts of the ('nearly finished') ship were very carefully filmed to not reveal the true scale of the work still required to put her into service.

Ed

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you have access to LinkedIn a Marta Fabiszewska (Coating Inspector w Siem Shipping Inc) has some photo's up. I can't place the link as you need to be logged into LinkedIn

Latest photo seems to show 774 (Fosen have it numbered as #93)in dry dock with a new coat of paint.
She also has previous pics of the outside and car decks getting a coating.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Posted earlier on LinkedIn Interestingly using a hashtag of #Honfleur  In the past Marta  has tagged with #93 - yeah my imagination is jumping light years ahead here! 🙂

(c) Marta Fabiszewska

774.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marsav68 said:

Posted earlier on LinkedIn Interestingly using a hashtag of #Honfleur  In the past Marta  has tagged with #93 - yeah my imagination is jumping light years ahead here! 🙂

(c) Marta Fabiszewska

I think since BF announced they were getting a mini-Flexer to replace the Normandie, any chance of Honfleur coming to BF is minimal to nil.

Not quite sure what will happen to her

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaplain said:

Roslare-Pembroke for Irish Ferries?

A very, very expensive kit for a marginal route.

But IF could find other, more profitable, ways to deploy her, if they can afford to.