FSG Hull No. 774 - A new chapter

Fine Whine

The talk of her going to Polferries, it has been suggested by someone else that she could serve Ystad, be a replacement for Baltivia. I thought she could replace Wawel and join Nova Star in Gdansk, thought be a good pairing for that route.  Think it is more possible she goes to Ystad from what I read.

I cannot understand why Arm doesn’t replace Barfleur and the this new ship serves Plymouth. Ok, Nova Star might not be an option but if they are going to the trouble of rebuilding Cotentin as Armorique Mk2 when the Cotentin is perfectly good as she is, then surely a ready made vessel like this ship could be used.  She could serve Plymouth and Arm could serve Poole.

15 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I cannot understand why Arm doesn’t replace Barfleur and the this new ship serves Plymouth. Ok, Nova Star might not be an option but if they are going to the trouble of rebuilding Cotentin as Armorique Mk2 when the Cotentin is perfectly good as she is, then surely a ready made vessel like this ship could be used.  She could serve Plymouth and Arm could serve Poole.

There's a few reasons. Armorique is owned by Brittany not Normandy... Cotentin is owned by Normandy not Brittany.

The Armorique has too many cabins, too many berths and poor freight capacity as she has a further public deck. If or when they eventually slightly rebuild Cotentin she won't have this in order to continue to carry more than twice as many HGV's.

• Like 2

I’m more confused about why BF felt the need to replace Honfleur with an e-flexer which will have less facilities and passengers, along with being not ready for the next peak season (along with the next peak season after that) unlike Honfleur which looks like it’ll be ready before the end of the year. I also find it strange how the Honfleur seemed to be getting more media coverage in the months leading up to her cancellation (the Facebook videos). She also had a repaint of her model which is shown below:

AD9B353F-C727-4D1E-9B90-D0C2ADB60B44.jpeg.0424acbcc5c9194d1b8aff01cbe19d0a.jpeg

There was also the teasing from Nigel Wonnacott on Twitter, about BF buying her after the cancellation so it would be interesting to know what actually happened and why the project completely fell through after the cancellation.

A lot has changed with the BF finances. Low running costs, including staffing, is a key part of their recovery. 
The FSG insolvency was a good opportunity to get out of the project. I guess that Siem would not offer BF acceptable terms to continue.

2 hours ago, jonno said:

There's a few reasons. Armorique is owned by Brittany not Normandy... Cotentin is owned by Normandy not Brittany.

The Armorique has too many cabins, too many berths and poor freight capacity as she has a further public deck. If or when they eventually slightly rebuild Cotentin she won't have this in order to continue to carry more than twice as many HGV's.

Until we actually see an official image and deck plan of a converted Cotentin, it is difficult to predict exactly how much freight capacity she will continue to have.  As far as I know, there aren’t any about, just that whatever it is will replace Barf.  Case of waiting and seeing.

2 hours ago, Solomon Edwards said:

I’m more confused about why BF felt the need to replace Honfleur with an e-flexer which will have less facilities and passengers, along with being not ready for the next peak season (along with the next peak season after that) unlike Honfleur which looks like it’ll be ready before the end of the year. I also find it strange how the Honfleur seemed to be getting more media coverage in the months leading up to her cancellation (the Facebook videos). She also had a repaint of her model which is shown below:

AD9B353F-C727-4D1E-9B90-D0C2ADB60B44.jpeg.0424acbcc5c9194d1b8aff01cbe19d0a.jpeg

There was also the teasing from Nigel Wonnacott on Twitter, about BF buying her after the cancellation so it would be interesting to know what actually happened and why the project completely fell through after the cancellation.

I can give 160 million reasons. It would be much better to long term charter her with a view to purchase at a later date ??????

50 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Until we actually see an official image and deck plan of a converted Cotentin, it is difficult to predict exactly how much freight capacity she will continue to have.  As far as I know, there aren’t any about, just that whatever it is will replace Barf.  Case of waiting and seeing.

Poole-Cherbourg is more about freight than passengers, it's why Barfy runs with a reduced capacity of 450. A revised Cotentin could easily be increased to match. I doubt BF would want to decrease her freight capacity, it's her raison d'etre. Of all of the BF full time channel ferries she has the highest freight capacity.

As she is now she already has more cabins than Barfy, albeit 2 berth en suites, but she only has around 30 less beds.

P.S. Poole might just get Normandie?

Edited by jonno
  • Like 2

Cotentin sailed half empty on her Poole - Cherbourg sailings, or a lot less than that, so she is pointless on that route.  All that freight space is wasted in Poole, it was her Spanish crossings that were more successful.  Freight between Poole and Cherbourg is quite low.  Which is why I suggested our Polferries friend, still say she would have been suitable, if as Jonno said, Normandie could fit in Poole.  Freight space on Normandie would have been wasted as well.  NS could have easily handled Poole - France freight, doing double rotations a couple of days a week.   Cotentin’s very low loadings from Poole - Cherbourg made her unsuitable for the route.  NS would have also provided an enhanced experience for pax as well with the enhanced facilities she has.  Still think BF missed a trick with her.

42 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Cotentin sailed half empty on her Poole - Cherbourg sailings, or a lot less than that, so she is pointless on that route.  All that freight space is wasted in Poole, it was her Spanish crossings that were more successful.  Freight between Poole and Cherbourg is quite low.  Which is why I suggested our Polferries friend, still say she would have been suitable, if as Jonno said, Normandie could fit in Poole.  Freight space on Normandie would have been wasted as well.  NS could have easily handled Poole - France freight, doing double rotations a couple of days a week.   Cotentin’s very low loadings from Poole - Cherbourg made her unsuitable for the route.  NS would have also provided an enhanced experience for pax as well with the enhanced facilities she has.  Still think BF missed a trick with her.

But when Contentin was sailing half empty with freight on the Poole route was that when she was operating alone or in tandem with Barfleur? What period of time is being referred to? If she was operating with Barfleur that would explain a lot.

30 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

But when Contentin was sailing half empty with freight on the Poole route was that when she was operating alone or in tandem with Barfleur? What period of time is being referred to? If she was operating with Barfleur that would explain a lot.

I think it was recently, but remember when she replaced Barf before when the latter went to Dover, her French loadings were never that good.  Her Spanish sailings have always been the most successful.  Well known around Poole.  She was low on freight with or without Barf.  I posted pics of her recently when she arrived and sometimes she has sailed with only a few trucks from Cherbourg.  When Cotentin was sailing with the amount of trucks that could have fitted on Liberation, then that is a waste. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I think it was recently, but remember when she replaced Barf before when the latter went to Dover, her French loadings were never that good.

But isn't Cherbourg going to become a lot more freight orientated when the rail link gets going? If that is successful, then I suppose the question will be, can Poole supply enough freight or will other Cherbourg routes become the priority?

3 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

But isn't Cherbourg going to become a lot more freight orientated when the rail link gets going? If that is successful, then I suppose the question will be, can Poole supply enough freight or will other Cherbourg routes become the priority?

I think it will most definitely, but I think Portsmouth will probably be more successful as Poole’s road network, as has been pointed out so many times, dire for traffic.  Until the powers that be in Poole sort that one out, it will continue to be a backwater port, much as it is the shortest crossing and extremely scenic.  The roads around Poole, let alone the constant roadworks that seem to spring up all the time is just not really helpful, this is holding Poole back in my opinion.  

BF have already stated that Poole will be their destination port for the rail freight heading into the U.K. 

There's no real comparison to make. Cotentin came along during a global economic meltdown, the worst since the Great Depression of the 1930's, she then spent nearly 8 years at Stena before returning during the grip of a pandemic.

A huge amount has changed during this period. Both Transmanche & LD have gone, their numbers needed to go somewhere... and Cherbourg has become an increasingly popular departure and arrival point for both passengers and freight... pre Covid the the volume of traffic on the combination of sailings from Poole & Portsmouth were 2nd only to Caen.

Poole-Cherbourg needs the freight space, with a little fettling Cotentin gives them this and the ability to continue to carry an equal number of passengers without a huge outlay on new tonnage.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jonno said:

I can give 160 million reasons. It would be much better to long term charter her with a view to purchase at a later date ??????

Sorry, I should probably rephrase my post to something I was more curious about, my brain was clearly muddled when I wrote that post, I also have another query which I am unsure whether you were suggesting and I've just assumed it was typo Jonno, so apologies if you did mean it.

Anyway, obviously there's been a worldwide pandemic which has obviously obstructed BF's finances and the construction of Honfleur, unless you've been living under a rock for the past 18 months, (clearly I was when I wrote my previous post) it is fairly obvious as to why Honfleur was cancelled and not given a second chance with BF. My question is, why was the Honfleur completely swiped off of BF's radar, especially since there was definitely still interest in Honfleur, why was it said that BF would 'definitely not be taking Honfleur', because all that seems to have done is remove the option of chartering with a potential buying at a later date, which is exactly what Siem were looking for. Which brings me on to my next question, why wasn't that considered at any point (chartering, and then buying at a later date)? Sorry if any of this is obvious, my brain clearly isn't thinking straight right now 🙃.