Of absolutely no relevance to BFE

Blimey. As a retired Metro careerist I'm very interested to find out what the heck happened.  But it's clear that it overshot the arrestor on a parking "headshunt" beyond the terminus.  Questions I ponder are whether the signalling should automatically slow trains approaching the arrestor here (as we installed on the tube after Moorgate in 1975) and whether leaf mulch on the rails may have impeded brake performance given we're in the peak of the leaf fall season and we have strong winds bringing the lelaves down as well.  But if the driver was pondering the mass of his train, maybe he was proceeding to the "Whale Weigh Station".  I'll get my coat...

• Haha 3
12 hours ago, Pegpilot said:

Blimey. As a retired Metro careerist I'm very interested to find out what the heck happened.  But it's clear that it overshot the arrestor on a parking "headshunt" beyond the terminus.  Questions I ponder are whether the signalling should automatically slow trains approaching the arrestor here (as we installed on the tube after Moorgate in 1975) and whether leaf mulch on the rails may have impeded brake performance given we're in the peak of the leaf fall season and we have strong winds bringing the lelaves down as well.  But if the driver was pondering the mass of his train, maybe he was proceeding to the "Whale Weigh Station".  I'll get my coat...

I have no insight into the Moorgate crash, but remember it well. Having sat in the front of numerous trains, I am convinced that there is such a phenonemen as 'sleeper hypnosis', and thought then that it was the most likely cause. In this case, with no one being injured it could be that it was empty stock, and it could again be a factor. All uninformed conjecture on my part - but nevertheless, and sadly, fascinating.

edit - just seen your confirmatory comment, Colin. 

Edited by rogerpatenall
acknowledge further input
3 hours ago, Chef said:

Too many "special" brownies at the coffee house maybe .

Plus the sight of a diving whale on the track ahead of you would seem pretty weird  , waaaayyy out dude . 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, rogerpatenall said:

Having sat in the front of numerous trains, I am convinced that there is such a phenonemen as 'sleeper hypnosis'

Sleepers, overhead electrification, tunnel lining segments, even some fencing all cause this effect, which increases the closer to the cab you look. Newer cab designs try to mitigate this effect, for example the TGV has large window pillars either side of the windscreen to reduce the close in view and direct the driver’s view ahead where the overhead line looks more consistent and less hypnotic.

14 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I guess they found the driver blubbering in his cab.

Ed

I presume the images are from Dutch Whaleways...

I did read that the artist for the sculptures is rather impressed the weight of the train was held given they are effectively made of plastic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I worked on the Jubilee Line engineering team, some of my colleagues managed to slam a train into the buffers in Stratford depot.  They were testing some traction control software modifications but forgot to disengage the motors from the control system before testing the "proceed" command through the plugged-in laptop.  The train naively did what it was asked without question and a couple of seconds later there was a very loud graunching noise and a spectacular cloud of dust from the end of the line. Back to the subject at hand, my spies tell me that the signalling system in Rotterdam would probably not have progressively checked the train's speed as it approached the arrestor because it was a shunt (non-passenger) move into a siding, whereas for a passenger move into a line-end platform such protection would undoubtedly have been required.  And the whale has apparently been called in for interview under caution - apparently its tail lights weren't working.....

• Like 2
2 hours ago, rogerpatenall said:

Subsequent to posting I think that the second photo (the aerial one) should have been credited to Getty. My apologies for this oversight.

I doubt Mr Getty will get the hump(back) over the mistake. Ed 

Reminds me of a song .... and a mixed metaphor?

"The runaway train came over the hill and she blew!"

Luckily the relevant aperture did not form part of the sculpture.