Jump to content

"New" Ireland - France schedules for Irish Ferries and Stena Line


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not to mention fuel stations, transport cafes and much more. Those who conned the people into Brexit were never interested in details, just getting rich and avoiding tax.

Stena Line and Irish Ferries have come to an agreement (after some political pressure) to offer a daily service between Ireland and France.  Each of the company's will sail a Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Irish Government has confirmed that this is from January.  As someone pointed out elsewhere, if this change hadn’t occurred at the behest of the government people would be calling it anti-competitive!

On 07/11/2020 at 15:27, Fine Whine said:

Before Irish Ferries moved north to Dublin they were running exactly the same schedule out of Rosslare as Stena, week in week out throughout the winter months.

Chris

I'd need to check the archives but I don't think they were.  I think that only happened when the EPSILON moved full time to the Cherbourg route (except Summer).  If it was the old paper brochure days I could quickly check that one!  But pretty certain I am right.

The IF 7 sailings per week summer schedule means that sometimes they have always sailed on same days as Stena.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to check the archives Rick, I’ve obviously been taking too many of @colinschandler’s Covid tests! Both Normandy and Oscar Wilde used to spend Monday nights laying over in Cherbourg having arrived at 14h, then taking up the roster again at 20h on Tuesdays, 21h30 on Thursdays and Saturdays back to Rosslare. Good job somebody is paying attention!

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites

The full report on capacity to the European mainland by the Irish Maritime Development Officer can be downloaded here:

https://www.imdo.ie/Home/sites/default/files/IMDOFiles/IMDO report Maritime Connectivity Assessment.pdf

I am not hugely impressed by the report. It reads more like an undergraduate Masters' report analysing capacity rather than a market analysis capturing long-term user needs and the opportunity of potentially more ambitions government policy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

No need to check the archives Rick, I’ve obviously been taking too many of @colinschandler’s Covid tests! Both Normandy and Oscar Wilde used to spend Monday nights laying over in Cherbourg having arrived at 14h, then taking up the roster again at 20h on Tuesdays, 21h30 on Thursdays and Saturdays back to Rosslare. Good job somebody is paying attention!

Chris

My memory is generally pretty good but I hate disagreeing with somebody without being able to back it up!!  The Internet is so full of false information, I do turn into the Fact Police sometimes!

I remembered well them going to duplicate schedules as it was pretty controversial of Irish Ferries to do so and did have an impact on Stena's traffic levels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/11/2020 at 14:36, colin said:

Many fewer school groups likely to go to UK when as well as different currency, there are other regulations such as passports not ID cards, customs issues ... School trips will resume once the Covid-19 situation settles down, and more services to Ireland, specially to Dublin will be attractive.

In addition to the other issues raised by others, you forget about the much higher cost of a France to Ireland crossing.  School trips could conceivably go anywhere else in Europe, not automatically to Ireland, in any case.  I imagine it's not the most profitable business in the world in any case.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

In addition to the other issues raised by others, you forget about the much higher cost of a France to Ireland crossing.  School trips could conceivably go anywhere else in Europe, not automatically to Ireland, in any case.  I imagine it's not the most profitable business in the world in any case.

What other English speaking countries are there? Yes, a little more expensive, but I would hazard a guess that IF do special deals. There may even be subsidies from one or both governments? Profitable? If space is available then normally filling it is worthwhile?

Scotland may become possible soon of course, but no direct ferry link and even further. On the plus side it is well known that the best English is spoken in Scotland.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, colin said:

Channel Islands get a lot of day trips, but as no normal people or families actually live there, longer exchange visits are tricky .... (ducking quickly)

Not strictly true but a big advantage if you want to learn Portuguese. 😀

Ed

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, colin said:

What other English speaking countries are there? Yes, a little more expensive, but I would hazard a guess that IF do special deals. There may even be subsidies from one or both governments? Profitable? If space is available then normally filling it is worthwhile?

Scotland may become possible soon of course, but no direct ferry link and even further. On the plus side it is well known that the best English is spoken in Scotland.

Is there a law that school trips must be to English speaking countries?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

Is there a law that school trips must be to English speaking countries?  

We tried to persuade our French and biology teachers that a trip to Amsterdam (via Belgium) would be both linguistically beneficial and anatomically instructive. For some reason they decided to send us to Le Havre for ten days instead. You can imagine the disappointment! 

Ed. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rattler43 said:

The potential loss of 150,000 UK landbridge truck crossings a year is going to make quite a hole in the finances of cross channel and Irish Sea ferry companies.

Not to mention fuel stations, transport cafes and much more. Those who conned the people into Brexit were never interested in details, just getting rich and avoiding tax.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the predictions of gridlock at Dover and Kent were to materialise a ferry service  between Holyhead and France would not be out of the question for UK trucks heading north in the UK , more time at sea but  better than sitting parked up on the south coast waiting to cross .

Edited by Chef
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chef said:

If the predictions of gridlock at Dover and Kent were to materialise a ferry service  between Holyhead and France would not be out of the question for UK trucks heading north in the UK , more time at sea but  better than sitting parked up on the south coast waiting to cross .

I would have thought we were more likely to see an intensification of services from north east and eastern England, to Netherlands and Belgium mainly. That puts them into the grid of routes fanning out across Europe.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, colin said:

I would have thought we were more likely to see an intensification of services from north east and eastern England, to Netherlands and Belgium mainly. That puts them into the grid of routes fanning out across Europe.

Especially as DFDS and CLdN are increasing capacity with larger ships. DFDS are about to take delivery of their 6th mega freight ferry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, colin said:

Not to mention fuel stations, transport cafes and much more. Those who conned the people into Brexit were never interested in details, just getting rich and avoiding tax.

A 150,000 less truck movements a year (will never come to anything like that) would be good for British roads. They don`t refuel in UK unless forced, as there are currency differences and are on time limits to make the landbridge exit. The financial benefit to the UK from landbridge is next to nothing in fact.

Re the routes from East of England to the Continent they are being reduced. P & O the main operators, have reduced Hull Zeebrugge to an ad hoc freighter and there are rumours they intend to reduced the Rotterdam services. No sign, so far, of new ports or routes although I agree now would be the time to intensify not reduce....but that`s P & O for you.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

P&O’s main freight operation in that arena is from Teesport, and that’s been enhanced recently to a 3-ship operation.

Thanks Gareth that makes sense. The Humber ports are mostly behind locks and therefore restrictive, although very handy at one end of the Trans Pennine M62.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paully said:

P & O the main operators

I don't know the answer but, is P&O the main operator when you consider the tonnage that DFDS, CLdN and Stena are running into Purfleet, Harwich, Felixstowe, Immingham and Killingholme?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...