Galicia - Inauguration - 27th November

Save the date! The inauguration ceremony for Galicia's entry into the Brittany Ferries fleet will be taking place virtually on the 27th November. 

Everyone will be able to take part via a weblink, which will include a comprehensive tour of the vessel, interviews with key members of staff and include some beautiful images and film which showcases the vessel and the new technologies used onboard.

Watch this space for more info.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Save the date! The inauguration ceremony for Galicia's entry into the Brittany Ferries fleet will be taking place virtually on the 27th November.  Everyone will be able to take part via a weblink

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light. She does look mighty impressive though, will try agai

The arrival of a new ship in the middle of a horrendous year for the travel industry - I’d call that reason to celebrate a (rare) good news story! 

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Jim said:

Thanks to Brittany Ferries for the heads up on this - a countdown website will appear next week!

A countdown to a virtual champagne and caviar reception. Can't wait! I shall get some Schweppes and Apericubes in for the event. Ed.  

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

A countdown to a virtual champagne and caviar reception. Can't wait! I shall get some Schweppes and Apericubes in for the event. Ed.  

Not quite. As we understand it the event is very much to be geared towards a remote audience and designed to show off the ship to them with a tour and interviews with key staff. There won't be any breaking of a bottle on the hull or blessing of the ship though.

Despite Covid, BF are determined to mark the occasion.

Your choice of snack and beverage are at your own discretion, Ed. Perhaps pop an Orangina in the fridge for something cold and bubbly ;)

• Haha 2
37 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

We better save the two packs of Apericubes that we brought back from Super U last week! Might stretch to a bottle of Red Bus bubbly.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Despite Covid, BF are determined to mark the occasion.

Your choice of snack and beverage are at your own discretion, Ed. Perhaps pop an Orangina in the fridge for something cold and bubbly ;)

Well done BF for thinking out of the box.

Talking of which, Ed will now be frantically hunting his tape measure to produce exact cubes of export quality cheddar, to be stabbed with toothpicks and finished off with a little Branston hat 🎩

Chris

• Haha 2

A bit off topic but on the same lines,I remember when the new ferry port opened in bilbao.we were told a free buffet was going to be put on for the first trip from the port.the only problem every Spanish guys and family heard about it and nobody could get anywhere near it.

When we did the first ARC transatlantic race from Gran Canaria to Barbados in 1986, we had been told about an early arrivals party, on the 14th December if my memory holds. We were amongst the front runners in a fleet of 208, and as soon as we got within VHF radio range we called Barbados radio. Said we had the foot down to make the party. It was around 11:00 local time. The guy sounded a little hesitant, and in his lovely accent told us he would call us back in 15 minutes. True to his word, "Airwave, Airwave, Airwave, this is Barbados radio, Barbados radio". He then told us that his concern was correct, and that the party had already started. But, don't worry, he said, they will keep it going till you get here.... We came alongside in the Shallow Draft harbour of Bridgetown about an hour after dark. No missing where the party was. We all donned blazers and ties. As skipper I was the first to step ashore, to be first met by a large local lady customs officer who said "Boys, it is a bit late now, but promise me you will come and see me in the morning". She handed over to 3 men, standing on the quay. The first shook my hand and introduced himself as the Prime Minister and welcomed us to his island. The second introduced himself, somewhat unnecessarily as Sir Garfield Sobers, whilst the third handed us a tray of rum, glasses, jug etc and introduced himself as Peter Marshall, MD of Mountgay Rum. Wow!!!

We spent a magical 4 months in Barbados.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Well done BF for thinking out of the box.

Talking of which, Ed will now be frantically hunting his tape measure to produce exact cubes of export quality cheddar, to be stabbed with toothpicks and finished off with a little Branston hat 🎩

Chris

Na, he'll use Dairylea lunchables as hors d'oeuvres.😁

Eh there's a thought... we've horse duvets & pigs in blankets, has anyone got something snuggly for the sheep & cows? 

Just been looking at the SuperU website - this week's special offer is 20% off frozen food. So I've earmarked some calamars, some coquilles and some tartelettes. All of which can make a contribution to a Galicia buffet. And I can rustle up some mini-pizza if I put aside some of the dough I'm making this afternoon. Add a dish of olives and some crudités, with a bottle of Cava to mark the Spanish connection, and voila, the instant celebration.

And if the Mac Mini's internet connection in the salon is working we will be able to watch the event on the big screen TV.

Cheers

Ken

• Like 1

As planned, 'Galicia' is about to leave the dry dock in Santander (14:30 Friday), she's heading off for trials before docking at the Admiral Terminal. 'Galicia' is due to depart Santander tomorrow (Saturday) at 14:00 local time, bound for Portsmouth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Scrap my last, 'Galicia' will not be going to Portsmouth, she's departing Santander tomorrow at 14:00 sailing direct to Cherbourg and will remain there until November 27th.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
19 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Scrap my last, 'Galicia' will not be going to Portsmouth, she's departing Santander tomorrow at 14:00 sailing direct to Cherbourg and will remain there until November 27th.

Great news and thanks Tony - I'll get my box brownie out once she arrives, likely to be tied up in front of the old transatlantic terminal so almost within touching distance...🙃

Chris

36 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Great news and thanks Tony - I'll get my box brownie out once she arrives, likely to be tied up in front of the old transatlantic terminal so almost within touching distance...🙃

Chris

Is that the Cruise Terminal? Won't the port close that to the public like they do when Cruise Ships visit?

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Is that the Cruise Terminal? Won't the port close that to the public like they do when Cruise Ships visit?

It is Tony, but apart from when cruise ships are in port the locals are allowed to fish from the quayside. So I'll don a scruffy jacket, grab an old rod and beret, hang a gauloise from my mouth and nobody will be any the wiser......:)

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been informed by someone who works in Roscoff Port that 'Galicia' is expected in Roscoff on November 28th/29th. Maybe this is for the inauguration ceremony, seeing as management will be in attendance.

From there, 'Galicia' heads back to Santander ready to start service.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Galicia Appears to have missed the Cherbourg turn-off! Currently off Barfleur (the town, not the ferry ;) )!

Galicia isn't due in Cherbourg until tomorrow morning, around 0900.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Galicia Appears to have missed the Cherbourg turn-off! Currently off Barfleur (the town, not the ferry ;) )!

It's apparently a bit windy out there tonight and there's an exceptionally high tidal range too so they might be waiting for conditions to improve.

Ed. 

• Like 1
Just now, Cabin-boy said:

It's apparently a bit windy out there tonight and there's an exceptionally high tidal range too so they might be waiting for conditions to improve.

Ed. 

A bit windy???

Thats an understatement Ed, it’s blowing a real hoolie out there and has been for most of the day. Epsilon has just left for Dublin, now that should be a lively crossing!

Ill be down at the port prior to opening tomorrow, just to check she’s made it...

Chris

• Like 1

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light.

She does look mighty impressive though, will try again later in the week..  

Chris

35E51B11-F940-4793-8848-503BD40EC51A.jpeg

463796A9-E4A8-478C-9C08-BA06F0DA1E40.jpeg

ED8E6759-2B1E-4DFB-9451-F0CD8AD5CFD0.jpeg

Edited by Fine Whine
  • Like 11