Jump to content

Galicia - Inauguration - 27th November


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Not offended in the slightest Nodwad...ūüėé

All I was alluding to is I‚Äôve seen far too often on social media platforms folk who rant and rave about the slightest thing, sometimes justified but I would imagine invariably not. Hopefully I will give her an unbiased opinion once I‚Äôve actually been on board and seen what she‚Äôs like myself (although I think I‚Äôll give those freight cabins a miss....ūüėā)

From your own personal experiences regularly using the Spanish services I presume you’ll agree that although not necessarily perfect both PA and CF are both very acceptable vessels and will please most people most of the time. I simply don’t trust folk who complain about BF staff being rude, one of the Twitter comments I noticed yesterday. In my 34 years using their services on a regular basis I’ve never encountered rudeness at any level, even in the most trying of circumstances. 

Chris

 

Chris thank you,most of the comments on this website are whatpeople  have read and heard off other people.i do agree about making your own opinion about her when you can travel on her.these comments were off people on board and not all of them can be a critic of everything bf do.you must admit what is coming out about her is not what bf wanted?some other people are saying about problems with the bow doors has happened on a other new stena ferry.if so  you would of thought that problem  should  of been resolved in the shipyard instead of getting people stuck  for many hours on board.the person who mentioned safety did not say what safety issues he was on about.so will take that with a pinch  of salt.unless he tells us what he meant by that comment.just hope the rest are just teething problem.as for the rudness I also never had this experience either but maybe the staff on board was that stressed out it came across that way( I have had many days like that myself)I had a nickname of grumpy and even my family started calling me that.stay safe

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Save the date! The inauguration ceremony for Galicia's entry into the Brittany Ferries fleet will be taking place virtually on the 27th November.  Everyone will be able to take part via a weblink

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light. She does look mighty impressive though, will try agai

What's the crusade for? We're into the 5th page of this nonsense. Every Ro-Pax and passenger ferry at sea has different levels of accommodation. Are we to begin rattling our sabres at t

Posted Images

5 hours ago, IanN said:

Agreed cheaper to run but not cheaper to use by the paying customer. People will expect less if they pay less. Not Cruise prices for Economy  BF are pocketing all the savings knowing there is no competition 

To be fair, I guess the meals are included on GALICIA, which is quite a big saving, especially for a family of four.

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seashore said:

I don’t think it’s too much of a surprise that BF asked for a configuration less generous to hauliers than Stena - for starters, the Truckers Lounge on Stena is the tapas restaurant on Galicia. I assume they have a small corner of the Azur restaurant.

The truckers area is in from of the tapas bar.

767731995_Plan-Galicia-scaled(3).jpg.bc34438d0510b4d135dc77eeae48d425.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nodwad said:

the person who mentioned safety did not say what safety issues he was on about.so will take that with a pinch  of salt.

I think that comment came from someone on Tony's facebook page. He was called out on that one and it seems he was just rehashing the comment re the lock on the ladies shower. Also on Tony's page was a comment from someone who had an enjoyable crossing, and liked the cabin and the Tapas.

My view on BF Social Media comments are that they are an interesting way about finding out information like the truckers cabins or sailings getting cancelled, however should never be relied upon as being correct  ! (ps I am trying to differentiate between observable facts and opinions !)

Even the barrage of complaints re the truckers facilities may well have come from a group who were having a good whinge on board !

Edited by David Williams
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nodwad said:

bow doors has happened on a other new stena ferry.if so  you would of thought that problem  should  of been resolved in the shipyard instead of getting people stuck  for many hours on board

I thought that it was the Normandie with the bow doors and a ramp for the Galicia.  However it can't have been that bad for the Galicia as it left on time last night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic a bit just wonder how many people were on board?i looked it up yesterday and most cabins were still available and even pet friendly cabins available ,which must be a first for a very long time.one other point how did they manage get there pcr certificate?in the allotted time scale the Spanish rules.stay safe

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jonno said:

The truckers area is in from of the tapas bar.

767731995_Plan-Galicia-scaled(3).jpg.bc34438d0510b4d135dc77eeae48d425.jpg

Although that GA is for GALICIA, much of it is based on the Stena Line Irish Sea ships and the "Truckers" label is a relic from that and not accurate.

Truckers - like all other passengers - will be allocated a dining slot in one of the two restaurants.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

Although that GA is for GALICIA, much of it is based on the Stena Line Irish Sea ships and the "Truckers" label is a relic from that and not accurate.

Truckers - like all other passengers - will be allocated a dining slot in one of the two restaurants.

 

I've also noticed on these particular plans only one of the suites is illustrated, lacking numbers 0985 & 0935.

Comparing both sets available, the Tapas Restaurant is clearly far larger on the more polished style supplied by BF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonno said:

I've also noticed on these particular plans only one of the suites is illustrated, lacking numbers 0985 & 0935.

Comparing both sets available, the Tapas Restaurant is clearly far larger on the more polished style supplied by BF.

I assume you mean that you are comparing two sets of plans for the GALICIA and not GALICIA vs Eflexer.  A GA is always to scale, other plans can have a degree of artistic license for simplicity/attractiveness.

Structurally the restaurants are exactly the same on the BF and Stena versions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RickOShea said:

To be fair, I guess the meals are included on GALICIA, which is quite a big saving, especially for a family of four.

Perhaps but last time we took pot noodles and sandwiches on the way out and a Spanish equivalent on the way back made are own tea and coffee in the cabin. Bottle of wine for each leg . On board spend zero. We did have the free breakfast. On PA in the summer we have seen many families self cater to save costs. BF do not give you a choice on Galicia you pay for your food even if you don't eat it due to Sickness.  You also pay for 25 % of it when you book and the rest 8 weeks before you eat it. Again good for BF. I can imagine people paying for a restaurant meal 8 weeks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seashore said:

I’ve not yet tried any of the E-Flexers, lockdown and all, but am keen to try. I think if I were to go I’d probably pick one of the ships in their intended guise, most likely a return trip on the Birkenhead-Belfast route.

With only the photos to compare (mostly from @tarbyonlineexcellent site), I‚Äôd say that in ‚Äúlook‚ÄĚ the Stena version has it for me. I like the splash of colour on the Galicia but the mention ‚Äútarting up‚ÄĚ is what springs to mind with the decor around the skylight in the Playa Major bar; but I think it may have been necessary as lifeboats will surely block the whole view and most of the light, which Estrid/Edda/Embla don‚Äôt have the same issue. That said, I think there‚Äôs been some ‚Äúdumbing down‚ÄĚ in the decor on¬†Galicia. The recliners look far less comfortable than the Hugge lounge on Stena, the Azur restaurant looks just like the Taste self service but with the cool features like the fish in the dividers missing (the Azur restaurant to me looks like a food hall) and a rather stark colour scheme (Taste looks warm)¬†and the atrium area now being full of shop rather than coffee shop does make it look less spacious.

I was wondering what those deck 8 cabins were from the first photos showing tiny windows. As that was the space that the deluxe cabins are on the Stena ship, my (wrong) assumption was that these would be Commodore Cabins with double windows. I was slightly surprised to see they’re essentially couchettes; made me think 1980s configuration Northern European ferry or something from the Eastern Med. Rather a come-down from Cotentin where each driver has a single cabin and own WC - it doesn’t take much to see why hauliers might be disappointed; BF set a standard a decade ago and have rolled back to something four decades ago.

I don’t think it’s too much of a surprise that BF asked for a configuration less generous to hauliers than Stena - for starters, the Truckers Lounge on Stena is the tapas restaurant on Galicia. I assume they have a small corner of the Azur restaurant. Surprising given that the lane meterage of Galicia is the same as Estrid, although typically will carry less as no extra car deck.

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickOShea said:

I assume you mean that you are comparing two sets of plans for the GALICIA and not GALICIA vs Eflexer.  A GA is always to scale, other plans can have a degree of artistic license for simplicity/attractiveness.

Structurally the restaurants are exactly the same on the BF and Stena versions.

I've been looking at these. They are the same as what Shipping Summit are using. same source probably.

 

 

Plan-Galicia-scaled.jpg

Edited by jonno
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jonno said:

I've been looking at these. They are the same as what Shipping Summit are using. same source probably.

 

 

Plan-Galicia-scaled.jpg

One thing I was surprised about is that they have put the pet cabins in the same area as the Commodore Suites... Galicia certainly isn't Val de Loire (the best ferry BF ever sold). Surprised they didn't put them on deck 7 with the kennels or deck 8 with the freight drivers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonno said:

I've also noticed on these particular plans only one of the suites is illustrated, lacking numbers 0985 & 0935.

I must have a look at the charts later. This is most worrying . . . we are booked into 0935 on the return on the 28th. (0707 on the outbound).

Yes Chris, I will try and do a report - but probably not until after the return on the 28th and only then if I have lots of positives to talk about. Monday 21st will be busy, I suspect, in a socially distanced sort of way.

Oh, and by the way, going back to your earlier comment about the staff, I can remember only one grumpy BF soul since I started travelling regularly in March 1992 (on a self service check out), and anyone can have the odd bad day. That's not to say the occasional loading marshall hasn't had a go at me when I have tried to park too far away from the adjacent vehicles - gallic eyes raised to the roof, etc - but always ending with a thumbs up and what may even be the hint of a gallic smile.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Seashore said:

or deck 8 with the freight drivers.

 

Just to make their journey even worse, nice thought! Why not treat them like dogs, I mean, they only transport virtually EVERYTHING you buy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

Just to make their journey even worse, nice thought! Why not treat them like dogs, I mean, they only transport virtually EVERYTHING you buy!

And to think a few months ago at the height of the pandemic we were saying how vital freight drivers were as "key workers" now we think they aren't worthy of the same standards as anyone else expects.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

I must have a look at the charts later. This is most worrying . . . we are booked into 0935 on the return on the 28th. (0707 on the outbound).

Yes Chris, I will try and do a report - but probably not until after the return on the 28th and only then if I have lots of positives to talk about. Monday 21st will be busy, I suspect, in a socially distanced sort of way.

Oh, and by the way, going back to your earlier comment about the staff, I can remember only one grumpy BF soul since I started travelling regularly in March 1992 (on a self service check out), and anyone can have the odd bad day. That's not to say the occasional loading marshall hasn't had a go at me when I have tried to park too far away from the adjacent vehicles - gallic eyes raised to the roof, etc - but always ending with a thumbs up and what may even be the hint of a gallic smile.

 

We're booked into 0935 next May & 0985 on the return. The two positioned on the port & starboard look a little larger than the one centrally placed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Seashore said:

One thing I was surprised about is that they have put the pet cabins in the same area as the Commodore Suites... Galicia certainly isn't Val de Loire (the best ferry BF ever sold). Surprised they didn't put them on deck 7 with the kennels or deck 8 with the freight drivers.

My interpretation of the deckplan provided on the NI ferry site is that the outside cabins on Deck 9 denoted in a different colour are not the pet cabins but the Commodore Club cabins. 

I would like to think the Pet cabins (of which there are both outside and inside types) are on the starboard side of Deck 7 close to the Pet Walk Area. 

However, I haven't booked so those who have cabin allocations with the aforementioned types might be able to shed more light. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danim24 said:

Just to make their journey even worse, nice thought! Why not treat them like dogs, I mean, they only transport virtually EVERYTHING you buy!

That was the point I was making - someone said that Galicia is a three class ship; Commodore, leisure passengers and hauliers. Those freight cabins surprised me, I’d have not imagined a shipping line would create something like that, so thought putting the dog cabins there would take the biscuit. It’s a shame on a freight orientated design and heavy freight carrying corridor (second only on Ouistreham) that they’d treat the drivers so badly. Wondering how long until DFDS starts sailing that route and attracting hauliers away.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's only now that BF are reliant on freight, that'll change once we've all had the jabs and we're free to travel again.

It's never been the core or even the bread and butter of the company, passenger traffic is. The historic split is 85% pax 15% freight. It's why since the pandemic their heart has been ripped out, they lost 85% of their business.

Stena, DFDS & I.F. are the opposite, they're more freight dependant, freight drivers aren't an afterthought they're first on the list.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...