Galicia - Inauguration - 27th November

2 hours ago, jonno said:

It's only now that BF are reliant on freight, that'll change once we've all had the jabs and we're free to travel again.

It's never been the core or even the bread and butter of the company, passenger traffic is. The historic split is 85% pax 15% freight. It's why since the pandemic their heart has been ripped out, they lost 85% of their business.

Stena, DFDS & I.F. are the opposite, they're more freight dependant, freight drivers aren't an afterthought they're first on the list.

Quite ironic really, when you consider the reason the company was set up! 

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Save the date! The inauguration ceremony for Galicia's entry into the Brittany Ferries fleet will be taking place virtually on the 27th November.  Everyone will be able to take part via a weblink

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light. She does look mighty impressive though, will try agai

What's the crusade for? We're into the 5th page of this nonsense. Every Ro-Pax and passenger ferry at sea has different levels of accommodation. Are we to begin rattling our sabres at t

Posted Images

6 hours ago, jonno said:

I've been looking at these. They are the same as what Shipping Summit are using. same source probably.

Yes - I believe these have been available at the Rivacom BF French Corporate Image Bank for journalists.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jonno said:

It's only now that BF are reliant on freight, that'll change once we've all had the jabs and we're free to travel again.

It's never been the core or even the bread and butter of the company, passenger traffic is. The historic split is 85% pax 15% freight. It's why since the pandemic their heart has been ripped out, they lost 85% of their business.

Stena, DFDS & I.F. are the opposite, they're more freight dependant, freight drivers aren't an afterthought they're first on the list.

The percentages you quote I have heard before but are general and not route specific.

On a ship that depends primarily on year round friend, this cabin decision remains quite frankly ill-thought out and odd.

On the Spanish routes freight is increasing and tourism is decreasing.

https://www.corporate.brittany-ferries.com/chiffres-cles.aspx

However the customer for freight is the company and not the driver !

I don't see a problem with the freight cabins, I think that they are better than shared 4 berth standard !

Note that some customers are in chairs and don't even get a bed.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Note that some customers are in chairs and don't even get a bed.

Sadly still doesn’t make it right - if 2020 has taught me anything, it’s just how much inequity there is in the world. It’s the third decade of the 21st century and we expect people to sleep in chairs where they could have beds. And we might think that’s ok. There feels like something almost Victorian about that.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

Nevertheless one might hope that basic standards would have improved by now without the need to revisit the equivalent of  'steerage'.

I think it is a losing battle against Mr Williams, it seems not a bad word can be said against BF.

The point is, they are charging a premium price but not providing a premium service. (In my opinion).

3 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

I think it is a losing battle against Mr Williams, it seems not a bad word can be said against BF.

It’s a transport business, it is not trying to change society.

If I was young again, I could go as a foot passenger next year to Santander with a decent seat that reclines and 2 meals for £114. If I want a cabin it is an extra £134.

All transport operations work the same way to give economy to those who want it and better quality to those who will pay for it.

I am not an apologist  for BF, even Communist transport systems have multiple classes !

• Like 1

The weather in the Bay is vile at the moment (pretty awful in Cherbourg too!), with a 6-8 metre swell running so it looks as though she kept going and arrived just before 3am this morning to allow passengers some respite and sleep - remember it was their second night at sea...

Chris

Why are truck drivers still travelling with their trailers? Surely unaccompanied services would be more economical for both the haulage companies (no cabin to pay for) and ferry operators (no on-board catering required on freight-only services). On mixed services that would leave more cabin capacity for passengers.

Ed

12 hours ago, David Williams said:

It’s a transport business, it is not trying to change society.

If I was young again, I could go as a foot passenger next year to Santander with a decent seat that reclines and 2 meals for £114. If I want a cabin it is an extra £134.

All transport operations work the same way to give economy to those who want it and better quality to those who will pay for it.

I am not an apologist  for BF, even Communist transport systems have multiple classes !

I think the point here is that the criticised concept (which is barely a cabin and more of a pod) is perfectly fine as a product.  But the idea that professional people who are integral to the success of this ship are forced to use these is ludicrous.  By all means, some younger or more budget conscious travellers will be happy with this.

And before somebody says that BF would allow drivers' employers to pay for an upgrade*, whilst I am sure that's true, if every single company tried to do that, it wouldn't be allowed or even possible.

It's pure and simply, a very misguided decision by BF sadly.

I'm more shocked Stena RoRo didn't raise concerns or put a stop to it as if the ship is ever returned to them, this will be a negative in finding another operator unless put right.

*There is also a huge aspect of the real cost of the supply chain. People want cheaper and cheaper goods/food.  The cost of a £200 return supplement for cabins simply goes on to the prices paid by all of us.

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Why are truck drivers still travelling with their trailers? Surely unaccompanied services would be more economical for both the haulage companies (no cabin to pay for) and ferry operators (no on-board catering required on freight-only services). On mixed services that would leave more cabin capacity for passengers.

Ed

With driver shortages getting worse and increased regulation of driver hours, I think modal shifts are inevitable.  Mainly unaccompanied but also containers/MAFIs.

Eventually, accompanied will become the method of last resort on anything but shorter crossings.  When you think about it, what sense does it make to have a driver on ship for 24 hours.  It makes more sense to have drivers doing domestic runs and generally returning to their own home at night.

This trend has been building for years and is sure to get bigger.

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 2

What's the crusade for?

We're into the 5th page of this nonsense.

Every Ro-Pax and passenger ferry at sea has different levels of accommodation.

Are we to begin rattling our sabres at them all. How about Stena and their pods with passengers using shared bathrooms?

...or don't we care as they're not fitted to ferries sailing in British waters... or is it that they're not even known about?

I suggest many members experience a more diverse selection of ferry operators before they put BF up against a wall and start throwing stones.

12 hours ago, Danim24 said:

Yes it can but the criticism used to be constructive. Most of us know the areas in which BF genuinely fall down on, they've been discussed for years. It seems that there have been many new members over the past year or so who have joined to simply bad mouth BF or to goad further those who have become frustrated at a particular level of service.

It why we are seeing members leave the forum.

This is the Brittany Ferries Enthusiasts forum - the clue is in the name. 

Upgrade the Pullman cabins by all means but I have a feeling that there will be simply something else on the list to moan about. Queue's for dinner is a prime example. Really? Who has never queued for food on a ferry?

A simple question?

How many many of those voicing their negative opinion on this forum about a particular level of accommodation on board a ship would ever contemplate reserving said accommodation?

I'll wager none.

How many of those voicing their negative opinion on this forum about the same accommodation has experienced it first hand?

Again I'll wager none.

You can't have an opinion about something you've never experienced.

• Like 11

Going back to the Galicia crossing; can anyone point me in the right directiion for feedback from those who sailed on it on Thursday night ? 

I hope some notice was given that they intended to dock early and let passengers stay in bed until the normal time !  I can imagine the panic in our cabin if we woke up to hear the ship docking and assumed we had missed the dulcet tones of the BF wake up music and queues of angry motorists would be waiting behind our motorhome to get on their way.

Edited by Cassie
50 minutes ago, Cassie said:

the dulcet tones of the BF wake up music

Didn't you hear? In line with the other styling options on board, and to get you in the mood for the Costas, they've changed the tune and you now wake up to Agadoo.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Haha 5
On 04/12/2020 at 11:05, RickOShea said:

I assume you mean that you are comparing two sets of plans for the GALICIA and not GALICIA vs Eflexer.  A GA is always to scale, other plans can have a degree of artistic license for simplicity/attractiveness.

Structurally the restaurants are exactly the same on the BF and Stena versions.

Exactly.  It’s the same space, just as the C-club is the same as Stena Plus and Plaza Mayor the same as The Sky Bar

23 hours ago, Seashore said:

One thing I was surprised about is that they have put the pet cabins in the same area as the Commodore Suites... Galicia certainly isn't Val de Loire (the best ferry BF ever sold). Surprised they didn't put them on deck 7 with the kennels or deck 8 with the freight drivers.

The pet cabins ARE on deck 7 :).  Towards the forward end of the cabin block.

The plans based on the GA that @jonno shared and ferry shipping summit has also published look to be relatively old and modified from the original E-Flexer plans.  Note the “taste” servery for instance.  I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the small names in those plans, more I’d use them as a handy reference as to the layout.

The passenger information leaflet will be online any day now.  The plans on it are very similar to the ones published on NI Ferry.

As for the decor, personally I think I prefer the Brittany Ferries version.  Tbh it’s all very well sitting here behind screens commenting on the ship, but until we actually experience her for ourselves there’s not really much point IMO!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bf Bretagne said:

GA should have departed Santander at 14:00 UTC. Two hours ago! 🤪

Wonder what the delay is?

Still there and now 3 hours late.  At this rate the return will be a 2-nighter arriving Sunday morning and the Cherbourg crossing by day on Sunday.