Galicia - Inauguration - 27th November

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Save the date! The inauguration ceremony for Galicia's entry into the Brittany Ferries fleet will be taking place virtually on the 27th November.  Everyone will be able to take part via a weblink

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light. She does look mighty impressive though, will try agai

What's the crusade for? We're into the 5th page of this nonsense. Every Ro-Pax and passenger ferry at sea has different levels of accommodation. Are we to begin rattling our sabres at t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Cassie said:

Does anyone have any information on whether the boat felt more stable than the Cap F would have done in similar sea conditions ? 

I have been on Estrid in pretty extreme conditions and she handled conditions wonderfully well.

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, colin said:

These guys are favourites with pilots. Serious boats for serious conditions. I have sold several "leisure" versions. St Malo pilots have at least one, possibly 2 now. Great videos on their site, including the astonishing Thunderchild I & II.

Safehaven Marine

Astonishing as you say Colin, are we allowed to post a link to that Vimeo video on their homepage?

Chris

This delay in leaving Santander reminds me very much of my first trip on Pont-Aven back in April 2004. This was a ferry publications trip and after a very bumpy journey down from Plymouth, I recall us all being given a letter when we arrived back at the terminal after our few hours in Santander. It stated that our departure would be put back until as late as 6.00am the following morning. I think in the end we left very late that night. Fortunately i was a student at the time, so had a no such concerns as having to worry about work the next day ;)

Edited by Ryan_H
18 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

It is choosing not to sail that marks out the professional and competent mariner

Thank you Colin. And just to remind those with short memories like me (🤣) and new members, here’s the perfect example of a completely in-competent mariner. The master of MV Epsilon who deemed it wise and safe to sail into the teeth of one of the worst storms of the decade back in February 2016. People in the know tell me she was within a few degrees of rolling so far over she would never have recovered.

Its not called the cruel sea for nothing....

Chris

With thanks to thejournal.ie and whoever took these photos...😳

EA0A8B90-47DD-417F-9998-9D7099FE0D3E.jpeg

910FCF72-D470-4ADA-AF19-4116227D64DC.jpeg

7033D223-1EF2-4A89-A41D-8E40FAE13321.jpeg

239A2726-6B6B-4D7F-953E-F5AB9C14BF03.jpeg

65EE2E67-ED09-49DC-8E9A-F2865DD7A8B7.jpeg

this is footage onboard Epsilon during that storm

4 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I have to say that watching pilots at work on a balmy July day seems like money for old rope to me (joking of course..🤣), but I only have the highest respect for you guys when it goes the other way. Out of interest what's the biggest sea you've ventured out in, and have you ever thought hang on, this isn't going too well?

Chris 

The max wave height in our area is around 3.5m, but it's the frequency that causes the most issues. Short sharp breakers reduces our speed. Most of the Safehaven videos are in longer swells (without meaning to put their boats down) most pilot boats could cope in those situations. 

We use Halmatic (Nelson) 48/50' old but built like a brick out house. Our newer boats are French designed Orcs. Lighter but more modern hull design. Hart marine in Melbourne also build them and they have some fantastic video of them out in the Southern Ocean. 

She's now back on schedule arriving soon after 17h30 this evening in Cherbourg. I saw a couple of Irish truck drivers heading down to her for the overnight trip back, I know them well and asked to give us an unbiased view of their experience tonight, including the cabin option. They mentioned that as a rule freight drivers are the worst whinge bags imagineable - their language was considerably more colourful so will keep that to myself!

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Didn't go down for the arrival this morning due to the fog but did have my radio on and watched on the webcam (No screenshot). I see she came through the entrance about 08:59 and docked at 09:14. She did pretty well considering the delay. I did go down for the departure though.

G1.jpg

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

The Irish alphabet is so much simpler than ours, every other letter replaced by an F

So that means ABCDEFGH etc etc becomes FBFDFFFH etc etc..😂

Chris

In Glasgow you use a naughty word every 4 words. Every 3 words in Dundee. Just becomes like someone saying "like" or "you know" or whatever gap fillers.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, colin said:

In Glasgow you use a naughty word every 4 words. Every 3 words in Dundee. Just becomes like someone saying "like" or "you know" or whatever gap fillers.

Having moved from the outskirts of Glasgow to North Lanarkshire just before lockdown I haven't yet worked out the relevant ratio here (I think that 1 in 4 is kind for Glasgow).

• Haha 3
31 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

Having moved from the outskirts of Glasgow to North Lanarkshire just before lockdown I haven't yet worked out the relevant ratio here (I think that 1 in 4 is kind for Glasgow).

When I become comfortable in relaxed company the true scouser always appears if I'm not careful. My alphabet becomes effing A effing B effing C all the way to Z.  I can easily make simple words in to 4 syllables.

Totally different person in the workplace or with the in laws. The missus who speaks in the manner expected of a private school & Oxford educated lady turns the air a deeper shade of blue than me when she gets going.

Sad really.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, jonno said:

The missus who speaks in the manner expected of a private school & Oxford educated lady turns the air a deeper shade of blue than me when she gets going.

Sounds like my other half , and she teaches in a seminary .

• Haha 5

REPORTAGE. À bord du ferry Galicia, le deal ou no deal sur le Brexit n’empêche pas de voyager (ouest-france.fr)

Ouest France article about Galicia's 1st commercial Cherbourg turn around, with Thierry Lacour the incoming commandant. Doesn't really tell us much, except seems one Portuguese trucker was happy with the ship, mainly freight loading, 120 trucks out of 155 max capacity. One couple on bikes returning home after sailing their boat to Cherbourg to be in the EU over the year end and retain EU VAT paid status. (They can then return to UK under Returned Goods Relief and also have UK VAT paid status. I know quite a few who have done this. Also a woman who has decided to move permanently to France, has got a job, and is doing a last trip to collect her stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Galicia now approaching Santander to complete her first full run through her weekly schedule. Schedule works well and has a lot of contingency built into it.

With all that spare time they could have at least organised a berthing trial in Brest just in case she ever needs to go back there. 

Ed

• Haha 3
49 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

With all that spare time they could have at least organised a berthing trial in Brest just in case she ever needs to go back there. 

Ed

I’m sure that’ll come along before long.  BF has a long tradition of ships being able to berth there without need for a berthing trial! 😁

• Like 1