Galicia - Inauguration - 27th November

21 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light.

She does look mighty impressive though, will try again later in the week..  

Chris

35E51B11-F940-4793-8848-503BD40EC51A.jpeg

463796A9-E4A8-478C-9C08-BA06F0DA1E40.jpeg

ED8E6759-2B1E-4DFB-9451-F0CD8AD5CFD0.jpeg

I think her early arrival has certainly boosted your photography credentials. Great pics, all the more because of that sky colour.

• Like 1
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Save the date! The inauguration ceremony for Galicia's entry into the Brittany Ferries fleet will be taking place virtually on the 27th November.  Everyone will be able to take part via a weblink

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light. She does look mighty impressive though, will try agai

The arrival of a new ship in the middle of a horrendous year for the travel industry - I’d call that reason to celebrate a (rare) good news story! 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

One well-parked van there I see. I guess it wasn't a French driver!

Ed

Damn, I've been found out but quite unintentionally...🤣

I think her early arrival has certainly boosted your photography credentials. Great pics, all the more because of that sky colour.

Thank's Nick but that's the colour the sky was - these pesky phones sometimes aren't much use at making calls but the camera bit is idiot proof 

Chris

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Damn, I've been found out but quite unintentionally...🤣

Yes, it was clearly difficult to find a space among all the people hoping for a glimpse of the new ship. Ed

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

But they all turned up at 9h Ed, the advertised time. Unlike muggins here who was woken up by your text message at 06h18 this morning and spotted on AIS she was making an early dash for the quayside...

Chris

Just as well I sent the text message in that case! It gave you time to fill in your 'attestation' but I'm wondering which reason you put for being out and about on the quayside at that time in the morning.

Ed

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just as well I sent the text message in that case! It gave you time to fill in your 'attestation' but I'm wondering which reason you put for being out and about on the quayside at that time in the morning.

Ed

It obvious Ed..He`s a wine merchant and therefore delivering essential food supplies😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light.

Chris

Nice pics Chris! :) Still so much prettier from the stern! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Nice pics Chris! :) Still so much prettier from the stern! 

G6.jpg

Do you really find this attractive? I think it's slightly boxy - she's not the prettiest ship on the planet but BF have done a good job and I'm getting to like the new logo. Her sheer size is impressive especially when up close. What will be interesting is in another couple of years once all 3 sisters are finished how they plan to individualise each vessel internally, I'm assuming Salamanca and Santona will not be just a carbon copy of Galicia.

Chris 

36 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

G6.jpg

Do you really find this attractive? I think it's slightly boxy - she's not the prettiest ship on the planet but BF have done a good job and I'm getting to like the new logo. Her sheer size is impressive especially when up close. What will be interesting is in another couple of years once all 3 sisters are finished how they plan to individualise each vessel internally, I'm assuming Salamanca and Santona will not be just a carbon copy of Galicia.

Chris 

Love it Chris :) 

Yes I really do - I just think her bow is underwhelming, and a bit generic. The large portholes make her look much smaller than she is. The stern gives a more serious angle I think!

6 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Chris

Thanks Chris, top job mate.

One thing for me. She doesn't seem to have port or starboard hatches for foot passenger access?

15 minutes ago, jonno said:

Thanks Chris, top job mate.

One thing for me. She doesn't seem to have port or starboard hatches for foot passenger access?

Perhaps they can board just aft of the liferafts. PA doesn't have hatches either as you step onto the covered promenade deck.

Ed

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps they can board just aft of the liferafts. PA doesn't have hatches either as you step onto the covered promenade deck.

Ed

Ah at last, something sensible from you Ed.....😂🤣

Yes it’s the same arrangement on Normandie and MSM as well, effective and efficient. 
Chris

• Like 2

Nothing can spoil Brittany Ferries’ Galicia launch party. On line at least. In the face of lockdowns in all markets, the company presents the “virtual inauguration” of its next ship, Friday 27 November at 10:00 (UK) 11:00 (CET).

There won’t be champagne, a blessing or a bottle smashing against the hull. But perhaps something even better. A tour of the ship, interviews with key players and beautiful images of interior spaces never seen before. We promise a great event. Everyone is invited.

So make note in your diary now: Friday 27 November 2020 10.00 am (UK time).

https://bit.ly/36FllXQ

and we will “see” you there. Get ready to start the engines…

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/galicia-virtual-inauguration-27-november-10-00-all-invited/

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jonno said:

What about access for harbour pilots? Is there a little door low down, or a long, long ladder to the top?

2 hours ago, wortley said:

What about access for harbour pilots? Is there a little door low down, or a long, long ladder to the top?

Pilot door with a short ladder below the 'S' on the port side and below the logo on the starboard side.

On 18/11/2020 at 11:01, georgem7 said:

The page also confirms that Salamanca will replace Cap Finistere. Of course, this was widely believed, but was it ever confirmed directly? 

Anyone know the plans for the Cap?

36 minutes ago, Oaken said:

Anyone know the plans for the Cap?

Pre Covid she was to get MGO electric hybrid propulsion but now your guess is as good as anyone's.

In the back of my mind there's a flicker of something telling me that if Pont Aven does replace Bretagne the Cap' is the only vessel still capable of a 24hr sailing to Spain. That's one scenario, another is that she'll eventually replace Connemara sailing from Rosslare to both Spain & Cherbourg which after all three E-Flexer's arrive seems rational.

Thinking on... she'd also be capable of Rosslare to Le Havre in 15 hours too.

Edited by jonno
  • Like 3

Here’s a few more shots of Galicia this morning as she’s finally moved further along the quay to allow Stena Horizon to berth. Up close she really is huge and what’s impressive is how quiet the electric generators are, nothing more than a gentle hum and just as the publicity blurb claims!

Chris

E959826A-2792-4AEF-8D33-7CEE0D1E0D26.jpeg

03771E9B-768D-4811-BBA8-525B3024FD2F.jpeg

B0A5B91F-EB86-4F25-805D-0A2FFEB4DC74.jpeg

8D01B9BB-ACFB-4973-AAEF-04B2D64BF0FD.jpeg

3367C332-F7F9-4300-867D-C2CE10624CE3.jpeg

5BE043CB-F720-4934-9681-6F2F96533F7F.jpeg

E0A6C58A-0A1A-4DBF-95C1-026132AFDF71.jpeg

5830A3CD-BEB8-4AE5-8CC6-3D46FF3E8FFC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4