Galicia - Inauguration - 27th November

12 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

The plans came direct from Brittany Ferries themselves actually 🙄.  Hence the acknowledgment at the bottom of the article and the credit on each image!  Perhaps they will change some colours to make them similar to the rest of the fleet, but the plans are the real deal and not just something I made myself!

Thanks, just wondered, specifically with the HUGE C Club lounge.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Save the date! The inauguration ceremony for Galicia's entry into the Brittany Ferries fleet will be taking place virtually on the 27th November.  Everyone will be able to take part via a weblink

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light. She does look mighty impressive though, will try agai

What's the crusade for? We're into the 5th page of this nonsense. Every Ro-Pax and passenger ferry at sea has different levels of accommodation. Are we to begin rattling our sabres at t

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, colin said:

Thanks, just wondered, specifically with the HUGE C Club lounge.

Just wondering aloud Colin, that maybe thats part of the plan. Whilst its free for Commodore class Pax its £35 a pop for everyone else, if they fancy it. If it becomes popular it will be a good revenue stream. I would`nt mind betting it will be heavily marketed both ashore and on board in the months to come.

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Sorry - I was surprised that BF didn't publish them !

No worries.  I think It might be a bit of an exclusive actually - as I said, I suspect they are working on a version for the public to go in the usual PDF’s.  As you probably know, we’ve been doing a lot of work with the E-Flexer’s and their different operators over at niferry.

The C-club occupies the same footprint as Stena plus on the Stena versions.  It looks big (and is) but the plan is maybe a bit deceptive - if it’s like the Stena version there are toilets in there plus counters, etc.  

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Gareth said:

Conjecture?  They’ve been published!

No, the debate about how it could be done in less/more time etc. As you have just said, the times have been published, the ship does the speed it does, all is clear. They have a reason for listing those times, so all is clear!

21 minutes ago, Cassie said:

We were scheduled to leave Portsmouth at 2215 next Thursday on Galicia and arrive in Santander at 0800 on Saturday. We were to have free 2 breakfasts and dinners to take into account the longer sailing time

Enjoy Cassie - that will be her maiden departure from the UK!

• Thanks 1

Does anyone think Galicia will have any onboard entertainment in the main bar like even Cap Finestere has? Looking at the NI Ferry enthusiasts site excellent write up on the new ship I figure not. The bar area does not look like its designed to accommodate this. Shame really.

Edited by Nick Hyde
41 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Enjoy Cassie - that will be her maiden departure from the UK!

Yes, we were really looking forward to it. We were originally booked in the CF  and were transferred, with our Club booking changed to Commodore. 

Sadly we have just cancelled the booking as winter in a locked down campsite with minimal insurance would be too much of an adventure.

I hope someone braver than we are will write about the experience.

• Sad 1

Important to note that forthcoming even stricter environmental legislation is probably going to reduce the speed of existing vessels by 2030 anyway.  It’s a huge challenge for the shipping industry, and the easiest way of meeting it is to slow down. Scrubbers or no scrubbers!

Edited by tarbyonline
5 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

Important to note that forthcoming even stricter environmental legislation is probably going to reduce the speed of existing vessels by 2030 anyway.  It’s a huge challenge for the shipping industry, and the easiest way of meeting it is to slow down. Scrubbers or no scrubbers!

Does that include fast ferries like InCats too?

11 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

All ships will be subject to the new limits, not just ferries.  Afaik we are still at the proposals stage, but the EU and others are keen

There’s some info here

https://www.climatechangenews.com/2020/10/15/ships-get-free-pass-emissions-2030-compromise-proposal/

There have been suggestions that some ferries could meet their demise prematurely as a result - it just won’t be worthwhile to retrofit versus ordering new given the limited time for payback.

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

Does anyone think Galicia will have any onboard entertainment in the main bar like even Cap Finestere has? Looking at the NI Ferry enthusiasts site excellent write up on the new ship I figure not. The bar area does not look like its designed to accommodate this. Shame really.

I bet they'll do something, even if it's just background music. They have provided entertainment on Cap Finisitere, and thinking back if DFDS could provide a 'troubador' on Dana Sirena in the confines of what was the Columbus lounge, I'm sure BF can do something at least as good ;)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

The plans came direct from Brittany Ferries themselves actually 🙄.  Hence the acknowledgment at the bottom of the article and the credit on each image!  Perhaps they will change some colours to make them similar to the rest of the fleet, but the plans are the real deal and not just something I made myself!

Personally I found both of the Galicia articles you published this week very informative and as usual, well presented... Looking forward to your release on Embla. Your niferry emails are  one of the highlights of my inbox.

Speaks volumes Steve that BF will offer you exclusive deck plans and their own images to publish. 

Top job mate...đź‘Ť

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Danim24 said:

No, the debate about how it could be done in less/more time etc. As you have just said, the times have been published, the ship does the speed it does, all is clear. They have a reason for listing those times, so all is clear!

That's not the point BF have added cost to a lot of customers. Some may receive a generous holiday allowance some people do not. When I was working 2 weeks in Asturias cost me 12 days off work out of an allowance of 20. Christmas need 4 So 4 left for the rest of the year. Galicia will make it 14 days off so only 2 for the rest of the year 

• Like 2

Galicia is very much following the usual modern ferry (and cruise) approach of limited outside space. Long gone are the day of a good bow view with the wind hitting you hard in the face (I must be in the minority to enjoy that).

A shame they didn't at least further extend the passenger section around the base of the helicopter winch area. Going even further forward over the bridge would be expecting too much.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, lg12 said:

Galicia is very much following the usual modern ferry (and cruise) approach of limited outside space. Long gone are the day of a good bow view with the wind hitting you hard in the face (I must be in the minority to enjoy that).

For many years we have done the Portsmouth/Santander or Bilbao route in December return March and August return October. I can remember very few crossings when going onto the outer decks was an option and warnings were often that we moved about inside the boat at our own risk. 

I’m delighted to see that the Galicia has improved stability devices and look forward to the day when we don’t even take Stugeron with us.

Edited by Cassie
15 hours ago, Cassie said:

We were scheduled to leave Portsmouth at 2215 next Thursday on Galicia and arrive in Santander at 0800 on Saturday. We were to have free 2 breakfasts and dinners to take into account the longer sailing time

Sorry you are not able to go, Cassie, but not a bit sorry that I am not going.  32 hours 45 minutes on a ferry across the Bay of Biscay in mid winter does not tempt me at all. I have been to New Zealand more quickly than that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m delighted to see that the Galicia has improved stability devices and look forward to the day when we don’t even take Stugeron with us.

Unlikely I'm afraid. A few years back we crossed to America on Queen Mary 2 and even that huge ship moved around quite noticeably in the ocean swells. The best way to minimise movement is to try and be fairly low down just aft of midships. It's no accident that many cruise ships choose that for their main dining facility.

Stabilisers can reduce rolling to a minimum but not piching where the ship is simply heaved up and down bodily by the sea.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IanN said:

That's not the point BF have added cost to a lot of customers. Some may receive a generous holiday allowance some people do not. When I was working 2 weeks in Asturias cost me 12 days off work out of an allowance of 20. Christmas need 4 So 4 left for the rest of the year. Galicia will make it 14 days off so only 2 for the rest of the year 

The other point to make about cost is that there must be an added cost to running a ship that you can only get two round trips per week out of compared with running one that can give you three round trips in the same time.  So the cost equation is complex and not just a matter of running slower burns less fuel.

I suspect the truth is more mundane - BF hasn’t made a deliberate decision to run slower; it’s just that the best they could find for new ships to take them into the new era happens to be ships that run slower.  So it’s just what there is and they have to run with it.

• Like 3

Returning to the subject of the 'C' lounge. I have just changed our Cherbourg booking from 13th to 20th December, and noted in passing that the lounge is showing 'full'. If that is so it is good business for an overnight crossing, but, of course, it could also mean 'closed'. We shall see.

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

I suspect the truth is more mundane - BF hasn’t made a deliberate decision to run slower; it’s just that the best they could find for new ships to take them into the new era happens to be ships that run slower.  So it’s just what there is and they have to run with it.

True Gareth..They didn`t design them, somebody else did. BF are merely leasing them.

• Like 1