Galicia - Inauguration - 27th November

3 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

Returning to the subject of the 'C' lounge. I have just changed our Cherbourg booking from 13th to 20th December, and noted in passing that the lounge is showing 'full'. If that is so it is good business for an overnight crossing, but, of course, it could also mean 'closed'. We shall see.

I think it does mean closed Roger.I`ve checked various Portsmouth Cherbourg summer 21 crossings and on all sailings the lounge is shown `full`..I think its only available on the Spanish crossings.

Edited by Paully
  • Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Save the date! The inauguration ceremony for Galicia's entry into the Brittany Ferries fleet will be taking place virtually on the 27th November.  Everyone will be able to take part via a weblink

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light. She does look mighty impressive though, will try agai

What's the crusade for? We're into the 5th page of this nonsense. Every Ro-Pax and passenger ferry at sea has different levels of accommodation. Are we to begin rattling our sabres at t

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

Does that include fast ferries like InCats too?

Take a look at Balearia's new Catamaran which was designed by InCat Crowther although built in Gijon.

http://www.ngvjournal.com/s1-news/c7-lng-h2-blends/balearia-launches-in-gijon-the-worlds-first-lng-powered-fast-ferry/#:~:text=The world's first fast ferry,the first quarter of 2021.

• Thanks 2
37 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

Returning to the subject of the 'C' lounge. I have just changed our Cherbourg booking from 13th to 20th December, and noted in passing that the lounge is showing 'full'. If that is so it is good business for an overnight crossing, but, of course, it could also mean 'closed'. We shall see.

You do realise that for now the C in 'C Club lounge' stands for Covid and is the designated isolation area on board. That maybe why they aren't selling spaces. 😀

Ed. 

• Haha 3
15 minutes ago, jonno said:

Do we know where she will be operating? 

Ed 

56 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Do we know where she will be operating? 

Ed 

Don't know Ed, I'm assuming the Spanish Islands. 

There's lots of smart tech onboard accessed through your phone/ phablet or tablet including kennel webcams to keep an eye on your four legged friend.

2 hours ago, wortley said:

Sorry you are not able to go, Cassie, but not a bit sorry that I am not going.  32 hours 45 minutes on a ferry across the Bay of Biscay in mid winter does not tempt me at all. I have been to New Zealand more quickly than that.  

Looking at the forecast for Thursday Friday and Saturday in the Bay. I would want to spend as little time as possible on a Ferry the stabilisers will get a good test. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, IanN said:

Looking at the forecast for Thursday Friday and Saturday in the Bay. I would want to spend as little time as possible on a Ferry the stabilisers will get a good test. 

I’m feeling a little less disappointed after looking at Windy for Thursday and Friday. Thanks ! 

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

I suspect the truth is more mundane - BF hasn’t made a deliberate decision to run slower; it’s just that the best they could find for new ships to take them into the new era happens to be ships that run slower.  So it’s just what there is and they have to run with it.

Well said Gareth, spot on.....

Chris

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jonno said:

Impressive. Almost as big as the Stena HSS.

Edited by Nick Hyde
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, IanN said:

NEX Plymouth to Santander could liven up the crossing and give the desired crossing time (If it gets there)

It invariably would never leave given the 3m wave height operating restriction. Remember there is always the CF Saturday and Monday departures if you want a sub 24 hour crossing, and for you speed merchants who need to get there in a hurry - the short sea route option...🤪

Chris

5 hours ago, jonno said:

Don't know Ed, I'm assuming the Spanish Islands. 

There's lots of smart tech onboard accessed through your phone/ phablet or tablet including kennel webcams to keep an eye on your four legged friend.

Does that include a K9 pooper scooper App that does all the dirty work for you? Just imagine, a remote controlled 💩clearer upper, now that would be useful...

Chris

• Like 1
9 hours ago, lg12 said:

Galicia is very much following the usual modern ferry (and cruise) approach of limited outside space. Long gone are the day of a good bow view with the wind hitting you hard in the face (I must be in the minority to enjoy that).

A shame they didn't at least further extend the passenger section around the base of the helicopter winch area. Going even further forward over the bridge would be expecting too much.

Limited outside space?  Two promenade decks, three balcony style decks aft, and a large sun deck.  By modern day standards that’s loads for 1000 passengers!  It’s a helipad and there are reasons why full length sun decks aren’t practical.  There’s a lot of equipment up there on a modern ferry (and a backup bridge too in this case)

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

three balcony style decks aft

I look forward to feedback on how the balcony style deck outside the Commordore Suites work and whether it is good or bad for the occupants,

I think that the bar on the top deck looks great & is probably preferable to the Plaza Major which will probably be no more than a glorified sports bar when the football or rugby is on.

5 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

Limited outside space?  Two promenade decks, three balcony style decks aft, and a large sun deck.  By modern day standards that’s loads for 1000 passengers!  It’s a helipad and there are reasons why full length sun decks aren’t practical.  There’s a lot of equipment up there on a modern ferry (and a backup bridge too in this case)

And BF are pretty good about bridge visits.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Oaken said:

How do you get to visit the bridge? My boys would love that 

Plan A is contact BF customer services before travel.

Plan B is go to reception on board and be nice, explain how interested you and your kids are in ships, the sea etc.

In general, the Commandant is only "on the bridge" for about an hour during departure and arrival, although he is obviously around doing all his other stuff. watch rotations mean that everyone has time off. Senior officers normally have day cabins close to the bridge which are like their office, although they can snooze there if appropriate, whilst the cabins for off watch sleeping are a little further from the action. Under the Commandant will be the "Second Capitaine" First Officer to us, then a hierarchy running down to Lieutenant, in parallel with engineering ranks and hotel / catering ranks. The Purser (French Commissaire) is the boss, under the Commandant, of the hotel / catering / reception / shop staff.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, eddy said:

Used to be just ask at the information desk but since all the Isis stuff  they stopped visits-on Cap Finisterre anyway.

It is still at the Commandant's discretion. Security has been tightened with access codes changing frequently and stricter accompanying of bridge visitors, but the big C is God on board.

• Like 1
On 29/11/2020 at 10:15, rogerpatenall said:

If I remember rightly, the C lounge is closed overnight, so I think this may be the reason they show it as full, to avoid people buying it and then finding out that it's closed on the Cherbourg crossings.

On 28/11/2020 at 09:50, jonno said:

Steve at niferry has produced another Galicia page which also includes deckplans & cabin numbers.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/introducing-brittany-ferries-galicia-with-deck-plans/

This was updated this morning with some higher resolution deck plans following feedback.  I have also added vehicle decks 5 and the mezzanine deck 6 for completeness. 

EDIT:  BF has confirmed these are the plans displayed on the ship.  A different version in the corporate style will be produced for leaflets, etc.

@jonno im hoping to have the Stena Embla page later this week.  Thank you for your kind words.

For those commenting on the facilities, this is a 1000 passenger 3000 lane metre ship.  Like most modern ferries the focus is shifting more and more towards freight, and to be fair this class is much better appointed (and quieter) than the Visentini alternative.  All indications are this will continue to be the trend going forward, and that it might actually accelerate.  Even the likes of Moby who in the past have given many an elderly ferry a home are saying the future is Ro-Pax. Ferry companies have to make money at the end of the day!

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5