Galicia - Inauguration - 27th November

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Save the date! The inauguration ceremony for Galicia's entry into the Brittany Ferries fleet will be taking place virtually on the 27th November.  Everyone will be able to take part via a weblink

Unfortunately 9h arrival turned out to be South African time - she was tying up when I got down to the port at 8h so only just getting light. She does look mighty impressive though, will try agai

What's the crusade for? We're into the 5th page of this nonsense. Every Ro-Pax and passenger ferry at sea has different levels of accommodation. Are we to begin rattling our sabres at t

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The freight cabins look good, they seem to have solid bunks with curtains and be designed with their needs in mind.

In the old days there were complaints about sharing a normal cabin with 3 others, however in the last few months they haven’t had to share ! 

Do they have different needs to me and you. I certainly would not want to share toilet facilities with 120 strangers.

If this is how the facilities have been cut for drivers what hidden ones are there for other customers that are still to come out.

Economy at cruise prices

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, IanN said:

Do they have different needs to me and you. I certainly would not want to share toilet facilities with 120 strangers.

If this is how the facilities have been cut for drivers what hidden ones are there for other customers that are still to come out.

Economy at cruise prices

I don't think it's one toilet per 120 people. Plus they only mention shower facilities so it's more akin to a sport's club locker room with perhaps 10 cubicles for people to use individually. There are presumably also separate facilities for women drivers.

Ed

I am no expert on freight driver facilities but it does seem a little retrograde to rely on such communal facilities in 2020. Although I don't mind the exterior of the Galicia, my sense is that the minimalist interior is as much about money as it is a reflection of Iberian/Scandinavian design

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, nick hall said:

Doesn’t the link Jonno provided state that all cabins are en suite?

It says:-

Accommodation on board

• Two berth cabins

All cabins have air-conditioning and share a shower area and toilets. Cabin upgrades are offered subject to availability, at an additional charge.

Edited by David Williams
8 minutes ago, Chef said:

Pretty hard to practice social distancing in a cabin that size with a complete stranger  on a 20+ hours crossing , plus drivers having driven trough several countries prior to boarding . 

I imagine that it is one driver a cabin at the moment (like the rest of the fleet), communal toilets can be kept clean - they have to clean the other communal ones !

ps and when it is all back to normal there will be 4 drivers sharing a normal cabin on other ships with no curtains or fixed bunks etc.. 

pps - I wonder if BF thought about Japanese style pods - not that different from the accommodation they often have on the top of their cabs & would have been even more private.!

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, wortley said:

I think it's shabby treatment for the truckers. They deserve private toilets and showers. Bad show B/F.

I don't get the issue - in normal times in normal ships there are 4 strangers in a standard 4 berth cabin with folding upper bunks sharing a bathroom / shower which if you are not careful can become a wet room with a flimsy shower curtain that retains the moisture. If properly designed (and that is an if) proper shared facilities with proper shower cubicles etc can actually be better.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It says:-

Accommodation on board

• Two berth cabins

All cabins have air-conditioning and share a shower area and toilets. Cabin upgrades are offered subject to availability, at an additional charge.

WOW! that's changed overnight!

Originally is said that the cabins were air conditioned and en suite with an opportunity to upgrade.

It's the reason I posted the link.

• Sad 1
25 minutes ago, jonno said:

Originally is said that the cabins were air conditioned and en suite with an opportunity to upgrade.

That was fast, mind you they haven't changed every page.

One of the non ship specific pages (https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/fleet/driver-comfort)

currently says:-

Freight cabins

Each freight driver is provided with a berth in an air-conditioned, en-suite cabin. Linen, towels and toiletries are provided

Let's see how long that takes to be changed !

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, jonno said:

Maybe that explains Mr. ROUE's facial expression in the photos posted.

He just toured his new ship for the first time and noticed the problem.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

It's interesting to read some of the views here.

It's 2020 - freight drivers are in short supply and working to increasingly tight regulations.  They need high quality facilities.  Sharing a shower block between 120 drivers simply isn't acceptable when most will want to use at the same time.

Most of the people on here wouldn't dream of booking a cabin like this for themselves so why is it acceptable for freight drivers?

I should add -  anything more than 2 per cabin (even before Covid) has become very difficult for an operator to justify.  Single use of cabins is almost the norm on many routes such as on the North Sea where the likes of P&O, Stena and DFDS rarely ask drivers to share at all now.

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, RickOShea said:

Most of the people on here wouldn't dream of booking a cabin like this for themselves so why is it acceptable for freight drivers?

Absolutely right. With freight being the only way forward for companies to make any sort of money, the drivers should get preferential treatment. I'd like to know how much that crossing costs for a HGV?

1 hour ago, RickOShea said:

And we all remember the couchettes on the Pont L'Abbe! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately, General feedback for the new ship doesn’t seem that favourable, based on replies to BF’s Latest tweets. 😢 (see below)

On the note of freight berths/cabins, it’s worth remembering that the basic freight tickets only includes a berth which is included in the price....

As a CEO/major customer of BF freight, its upto the freight company to accept the basic berth included for their driver (and make their staff aware!) or pay for a supplement for the driver!  I always pay my staff to have a solo-use of a cabin Cabin, so in my view, it’s upto the freight company to either pay extra for their drivers comfort or the driver could always pay the supplement.....  Because of CV19, The drivers right now should have solo-berths if the freight/Pax permit because of the pandemic...

8E2E23DE-501E-4321-8AE3-C3130D56BC1A.jpeg

52F712B1-B7A9-4A4A-AF9F-1AEED321C802.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
21 minutes ago, daves_pad! said:

or pay for a supplement for the driver

Do the large freight companies have that option in advance ? I have seen old tweets by some owner / drivers saying that it is only available if there is space ?

I can't get the image from the last tweet out of my mind !

2 hours ago, jonno said:

It has changed, I thought I had gone mad when I saw what DW had posted. I’m glad someone else noticed it.

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

I don't get the issue - in normal times in normal ships there are 4 strangers in a standard 4 berth cabin with folding upper bunks sharing a bathroom / shower which if you are not careful can become a wet room with a flimsy shower curtain that retains the moisture. If properly designed (and that is an if) proper shared facilities with proper shower cubicles etc can actually be better.

But that's surely not right in 2020? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Danim24 said:

Absolutely right. With freight being the only way forward for companies to make any sort of money, the drivers should get preferential treatment. I'd like to know how much that crossing costs for a HGV?

And they are now having to endure it for longer

So it turns out Galicia is a three class ship. A first class lounge with access restricted to the rich, an ordinary cabin for me, and truck drivers queuing for a lavatory at the back end of deck eight. 

Liberte...Fraternite...what's the missing word? 

• Haha 1

I read the tweets and look like a lot of problems on her first trip.it will be interesting to hear what the problems are on board.there was bound to be some problem with her first few trips but it sounds it is a bit more than that.stay safe