Economie brand gone? No Le Harve next year

I have just been speaking to BF on online chat...

'We are no longer running an economie brand, which route was it for? '

'Yes it has, the Le Havre is under review but it is likely not to operate next year. '

Was it common knowledge that economie brand is now gone?

I suspect that little chance of Le Harve in 2021 comes as no surprise.

Economie was basically created for the Vissentinis, and the Vissentinis have basically now disappeared from UK services.  So with that, yes, it is logical that Economie has gone too.  It’s still operating as a brand on Connemara’s sailings from Rosslare.

12 minutes ago, jamess said:

I have just been speaking to BF on online chat...

'We are no longer running an economie brand, which route was it for? '

'Yes it has, the Le Havre is under review but it is likely not to operate next year. '

Was it common knowledge that economie brand is now gone?

I suspect that little chance of Le Harve in 2021 comes as no surprise.

Le Havre is running for a few months next year, however I am sure that it will be freight only. The first sailing is the Etretat on the 31/12

As far as Le Havre is concerned, it’s possible it may be operating as a freight route under contract to the UK government.  Most likely using Cotentin.  But, yes, as a passenger route that’s gone for the forseeable future.

Not sure about some of that. The economie brand is still alive, and still present in web booking engine. It does appear on the UK site when/if Connemara serves on a UK route. BDS gone, Etretat will be off. Kerry is also around don't forget. I think the person on chat was not accurate, the economie brand has not officially been removed yet for sure. As for Le Havre - don't forget BF is due to get Cotentin back when Etretat goes, so that would free up a ship for use elsewhere - maybe something with Barfleur/Cotentin will be juggled about! 

4 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Not sure about some of that. The economie brand is still alive, and still present in web booking engine. It does appear on the UK site when/if Connemara serves on a UK route. BDS gone, Etretat will be off. Kerry is also around don't forget. I think the person on chat was not accurate, the economie brand has not officially been removed yet for sure. As for Le Havre - don't forget BF is due to get Cotentin back when Etretat goes, so that would free up a ship for use elsewhere - maybe something with Barfleur/Cotentin will be juggled about! 

Galicia ?

• Haha 1

Is Cotentin a ship normally open to passengers? Doesn't he just do freight? Do you have pictures of the interiors? He has a family feel with Armorique, I'm wrong ?

Edited by LHCity
45 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Is Cotentin a ship normally open to passengers? Doesn't he just do freight? Do you have pictures of the interiors? He has a family feel with Armorique, I'm wrong ?

You need to search the forums where you will find all the answers. Also search Stena Baltica which has been her name for the last few years.

Hull sister to Armorique but without the accommodation block basically. Truck drivers cabins, mostly with shared bathrooms, so essentially unsuited to even an Economie passenger service. There was talk about a conversion towards an Armorique version, but not going to happen any time soon with market conditions.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, LHCity said:

She is very orange, shall we say.  As Cotentin before she never took passengers but believe she does as Baltica.  There are pictures of her interior somewhere here, it was a Facebook post I shared so you should probably be able to see them if you are on FB.

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

She is very orange, shall we say.  As Cotentin before she never took passengers but believe she does as Baltica.  There are pictures of her interior somewhere here, it was a Facebook post I shared so you should probably be able to see them if you are on FB.

I certainly sailed from Poole to Cherbourg and return on her in 2013 (I think) - including a memorable view through the glass panel in the floor of the bridge of the Cherbourg pilot leaving the boat in quite rough waters.

Edited by rogerpatenall
1 hour ago, rogerpatenall said:

I certainly sailed from Poole to Cherbourg and return on her in 2013 (I think) - including a memorable view through the glass panel in the floor of the bridge of the Cherbourg pilot leaving the boat in quite rough waters.

The interior fittings are no worse than Etretat or Connemara. It's strange not to open it to passengers in the ECO version. Does that mean that by putting Cotentin back on Cherbourg / Poole, BF wanted to close the route to passengers?

5 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Are cabins / sanitary modifications possible to make it a real passenger ferry?

I think it would take minimal modifications to give her *some* passenger capacity. Not a lot - maybe 100-200 capacity? But they don't forget Etretat capacity was 375, and she was rarely full, so I think as a short term gap it would be a positive thing...

This has been discussed so many times on here, remember she was built to carry 120 trucks with the same number of 2 berth cabins, to alter anything would reduce the potential freight numbers. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LHCity said:

The interior fittings are no worse than Etretat or Connemara. It's strange not to open it to passengers in the ECO version. Does that mean that by putting Cotentin back on Cherbourg / Poole, BF wanted to close the route to passengers?

They may well close the route altogether. I suspect BF would rather not have had the Cotentin returned to them, at this moment in time. They won`t be spending any money on her fixtures and fittings. They cannot afford to do so. She is on the Le Havre route because the British Government have offered incentives for freight carriage.. not passengers. When the incentives cease then they will have to decide what they do with her. Maybe even sale. Who knows..Everything is in the big mixer at the moment...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Solo said:

This has been discussed so many times on here, remember she was built to carry 120 trucks with the same number of 2 berth cabins, to alter anything would reduce the potential freight numbers. 

From what I read, she can carry a maximum of 210 passengers and has a variety of shared bathroom economy cabins and comfort cabins with en-suite. She appears to have been used as a combination of freight and passengers, carrying up to 100 cars for Stena.

So why would this be different for any other operator? Yes, the more cars she carries will be less freight, but there are options for her.

1 hour ago, Paully said:

They may well close the route altogether. I suspect BF would rather not have had the Cotentin returned to them, at this moment in time. They won`t be spending any money on her fixtures and fittings. They cannot afford to do so. She is on the Le Havre route because the British Government have offered incentives for freight carriage.. not passengers. When the incentives cease then they will have to decide what they do with her. Maybe even sale. Who knows..Everything is in the big mixer at the moment...

Absolutely, but when things return to some form of normal and with the Honfleur cancelled, it may be an option to consider her in some other guise. They can still maintain the lane meters with an accommodation extension. She is only 13 years old after all.

Remember much of the reaction when Economie was first introduced. Multiply that by a few and you will probably gauge the sort of comments BF clients would make about Cotentin ...

• Like 1

When does the charter for Etretat end? It must have had a high Penalty attached for early termination as BF have deemed it cheaper to keep her laid up than to try and hand her back to her owners