Jump to content

Covid tests for all entering Spain


Recommended Posts

The full details are on the article I`ve attached below but seems all those entering Spain, mainland included, by air or sea will need a covid test (not the NHS ones) done, no longer than 72 hours before arrival at the port of entry.(that should be fun)..It is intended that these regulations will remain in force until the Covid emergency is over (hmm)..

https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts/tests-for-passengers-nov-23-all-need-know

The start date is from the 23rd November onwards. There is a lot to read but this weekly paper is always spot on with information. It is a national Spanish Government requirement and supercedes all existing local and area ones. 

Good luck to all those making plans for the New Year and beyond.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There still seems to be this awful vagueness as to how the virus is most commonly spread.

The full details are on the article I`ve attached below but seems all those entering Spain, mainland included, by air or sea will need a covid test (not the NHS ones) done, no longer than 72 hours bef

I'll willingly house-sit there for free until next Spring if they want.  Ed. 

It is going to be almost impossible to take the test 72 hours before arriving in Spain by ship given the approved tests takes a day or two to return a result.

I also note that it seems to only apply to those entering by air or sea  - unless I am missing something land is ok.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It is going to be almost impossible to take the test 72 hours before arriving in Spain by ship given the approved tests takes a day or two to return a result.

I also note that it seems to only apply to those entering by air or sea  - unless I am missing something land is ok.

 

I don't see how they can police the land border effectively to ensure the rule is applied unless the Schengen agreement is changed, as has been suggested. 

The certificate also needs to be in Spanish and/or English. I've no idea if the French authorities are capable of issuing them in other languages. 

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I don't see how they can police the land border effectively to ensure the rule is applied unless the Schengen agreement is changed, as has been suggested. 

It is about time someone took serious action. It is a worldwide pandemic and people are getting dead. I hope other countries pull the fingers out and follow suit. If you can't get to Spain in the 72-hour window then you don't go, simple.

It's about time the idiots who are flaunting the regulations and have become complacent are reigned in. The rules need tightening up all over, then maybe we might be able to get the infection rate down and poor sods will stop 'getting dead' and us 'key workers' will be at less risk!

Rant over!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not everyone are “idiots flaunting the regulations” - what about lorry drivers and other commercial interests. I also aware of a UK couple who had to return from Spain for a medical emergency but now need to return to Spain to retrieve their car from Alicante airport and ensure their property is secure, etc for the winter; this includes sealing doors and windows, otherwise they'll have a house full of cockroaches when they return in 2021

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

now need to return to Spain to retrieve their car from Alicante airport and ensure their property is secure, etc for the winter; this includes sealing doors and windows, otherwise they'll have a house full of cockroaches when they return in 2021

I'll willingly house-sit there for free until next Spring if they want

Ed. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a parallel thread running with a similar theme.

Reading the link Paully gave, it seems that if you don't have the necessary paperwork on arrival you have to go and get a test done at a local medical centre. What happens until the results come through is not clear. 

Ed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Diggers said:

How is it possible to have a Covid swab test confirmed and PCR certificate issued inside 72 hours prior to arriving in Santander? New entry regs apply from 23 November.

Until 2 December 2020 the present lockdown in England applies. You can only travel overseas for limited reasons such as work or education. The UK government website is clear. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

Not everyone are “idiots flaunting the regulations” - what about lorry drivers and other commercial interests. I also aware of a UK couple who had to return from Spain for a medical emergency but now need to return to Spain to retrieve their car from Alicante airport and ensure their property is secure, etc for the winter; this includes sealing doors and windows, otherwise they'll have a house full of cockroaches when they return in 2021

 

Until 2 December 2020 the UK government lockdown regulations say they are not allowed to travel . If that rule is relaxed after that date they pay for private tests, and if there are flights available they fly back to Alicante

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, IanN said:

I guess you pay for it privately and add it into the cost of the Ferry crossing ☹️

Yes, but where can you get a fast certified result close to the ferry port? There is a day on the ship and the document must be within 72 hours on arrival so

speed is essential. The test and result would have to be completed on the same day. Happy to go private, but where? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wortley said:

Until 2 December 2020 the present lockdown in England applies. You can only travel overseas for limited reasons such as work or education. The UK government website is clear. 

I understand the current regulations, we have a sailing on the 29th Dec to Santander when the new Spanish entry regulations apply. A PCR certificate

less than 72 hours old has to be presented on arrival. I am unable to locate any organisation that can provide the service needed prior to boarding.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not convinced whether the test on arrival option is valid, in addition BF may insist on paperwork pre Journey.

It is worth checking at the end of the month when the new rules are in force to see what happens.

If it is urgent to go to Spain by car , probably the only option will be via France assuming that is open for travel then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest I'm picking up from the Canaries is that they are pressing Madrid for the test to be the Antigen test rather than the PCR..This is easier to obtain and much cheaper.

  The ball is in Madrid's court now and will make a further decision later on this month.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I read this I contacted a few friends in Spain ,who then contacted a few people in the know and all of them Said they have Never heard of anything about the covid test before entry into Spain .so is the another rumour going around because you would of thought television/newspapers would of got wind about this before now.stay safe

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nodwad said:

When I read this I contacted a few friends in Spain ,who then contacted a few people in the know and all of them Said they have Never heard of anything about the covid test before entry into Spain .so is the another rumour going around because you would of thought television/newspapers would of got wind about this before now.stay safe

Certainly not just a rumour. 

The latest travel advice for Spain can be found on Gov.uk, which is regularly updated, and you can sign up for email updates also. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Spanish Government keep this up for next summer then BF will have a big problem as I cannot see how this can be achieved. 

In our case using PA from Plymouth (best case scenario for crossing times) we would need 5 hours for the journey to Plymouth say 2 hours waiting time at  at Plymouth

21 crossing time to include getting off the boat so 28 hours so 44 hours to get the test done and receive the results. If you are on Galicia then this reduces by 8 hours which is 36 hours. You would also need to factor in a time for a delay so would you take the risk of arriving outside the 72 hour period. I note that Galicia outbound at the end of December seems pretty full so what do these passengers do as a delay in December is likely and with the reduced speed can any delay be caught up

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IanN said:

If the Spanish Government keep this up for next summer then BF will have a big problem as I cannot see how this can be achieved. 

This will only affect arrivals from high risk countries, if we are still high risk by Easter we will have more to worry about than BF ! 
I understand the list of countries will be reviewed every couple of weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many examples of groups of workers in close contact with each other becoming infected - examples here in the south west those have included  food factories and prison officers . And of course outbreaks on cruise liners have proved impossible to control.

 One can only hope there isn't an outbreak like this affecting the crews on board B/F ships - but if this should happen then they, or their union leaders,  or the management, or the health authorities, may have to make a quick decision decide  to bring the ferry service to a stop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone from BF explain the confusion. I have read Catalan news and le Pias  and Murcia today stating " 72hrs prior to the journey"  This makes a lot more sense But cant get any conformation from anyone. After all if you fly its 72 hrs before departure.

My other question is bearing in mind the small window between testing and result before departure what happens to your ticket that was booked before this restriction was imposed if you have a positive test???  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dicksmith said:

My other question is bearing in mind the small window between testing and result before departure what happens to your ticket that was booked before this restriction was imposed if you have a positive test???  

Firstly welcome to the Forum...This is where we would need to have the most flexible ticket that BF sell..There are almost no insurance companies covering cancellation for Covid these days. You would otherwise be relying on the generosity, or otherwise, of the carrier I`m afraid. Terrible situation to be in and many will be. If this situation goes on for a while surely BF will consider rolling cancellations of passenger carrying capacity to Spain and use the Galicia in a freight only role. 

Edited by Paully
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...