Covid tests for all entering Spain

13 hours ago, David Williams said:

To be honest, if you have a camper the simplest way is probably to drive through France when their restrictions are lifted, hopefully it should all be clearer in a couple of weeks.

Good morning David, Driving through France has always been our first choice but with the infection rate being so high and having to camp on the way down we decided to take the ferry so we could isolate in one place. We are not worried about taking the test as you understand its the time scale that is difficult to work with.

I think unless we can get some information from BF, which is unlikely, we will have to move our ticket to sometime in the future and do France.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There still seems to be this awful vagueness as to how the virus is most commonly spread.

The full details are on the article I`ve attached below but seems all those entering Spain, mainland included, by air or sea will need a covid test (not the NHS ones) done, no longer than 72 hours bef

I'll willingly house-sit there for free until next Spring if they want.  Ed. 

Do you not think we are all getting a bit in front of ourselves?there is different opinions coming out but in the end we are all still in the dark a bit.ie is its test must be done within 72 hours before arrival in Spain or is it 72 hours before departure to Spain?if it is the latter one then not so bad but if it is the first one ,that is going cause a big problem.lets all hope there will be some clarity coming out soon.stay safe

10 minutes ago, IanN said:

It's not much point doing it if it's 72 hours before departure you will have had at least 4 closer to 5 days to get infected before arrival. 

As i said before the test is only good for the moment you have the swab.... you could pickup the virus touching the door handle on the way out of Boots.

• Like 2

This is a google translation of the relevant part from the official BOE document. https://boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2020-14049

Every passenger from a country or risk zone listed in Annex II, who intends to enter Spain, must have a Diagnostic Test for Active Infection (hereinafter PDIA) for SARS-CoV-2 with a negative result, carried out in  the seventy-two hours prior to arrival in Spain.

As part of the documentary control that is carried out at the entry points, the passenger may be requested, at any time, to accredit the result of the PDIA.  The supporting document must be the original, will be written in Spanish and / or English and may be submitted in paper or electronic format.  The document will contain, at least, the following information: traveler's name, passport number or national identity document or letter (which must coincide with the one used in the Health Control Form), date of the test, identification and  contact details of the center conducting the analysis, technique used and negative test result.

The PDIA for SARS-CoV-2 supported is PCR (COVID-19 RT-PCR).  As long as its harmonized use is not accepted in the European Union, other diagnostic tests such as rapid antibody tests, rapid antigen detection tests or high performance serologies (ELISA, CLIA, ECLIA) will not be accepted.

Exceptionally, the non-completion of the PDIA at origin may be admitted, regardless of the passenger's country of origin, to seafarers who arrive in Spain back from their campaign on board a ship or in transit to embark or disembark, having to  justify their condition as a crew member and the impediments for carrying it out, without prejudice to the application of the provisions of the sixth section of this resolution.

El País in English gives a good review of the new requirements https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-11-12/spain-will-require-negative-pcr-test-from-travelers-coming-from-over-60-countries.html

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I am sure that this will be subject to change. It will be interesting what BF does and whether the EU will accept 1 hour tests which would make everything simpler.

David I agree with you about that, what someone said what is the point of testing? Yes you could get covid straight after a test but surely this is the best way forward instead of taking narrow minded view.? I only said if you have a test 72 hours before sailing would be the best option for us.i also said hope there is more clarity coming out in next few days.stay safe

4 hours ago, nodwad said:

if you have a test 72 hours before sailing would be the best option for us

For everybody wanting to travel by Ferry it's the only option.

Unless BF decide to move every thing to Plymouth and run PA or CF at full speed and do an 18 hour crossing

41 minutes ago, IanN said:

For everybody wanting to travel by Ferry it's the only option.

Unless BF decide to move every thing to Plymouth and run PA or CF at full speed and do an 18 hour crossing

Thats one option BF could employ. However once we come down from the present levels and the situation stabilises then the Spanish will drop this particular requirement, but always reserving the right to re impose it if our levels rise again. Even greater uncertainty. The other option they have is cancel passenger traffic and operate the Spanish ship in a freight only role. 

At this moment in time I doubt BF have any certainty as to what they are going to. Its one thing after another for them.

53 minutes ago, David Williams said:

There does not seem to be any exemption for lorry drivers !

Almost like the Denmark situation, where Ryanair have suspended all of their flights to/from Denmark as their flight crew, even UK based on and 'out and back' (and probably numerous other legs!) were also not exempt from the latest restrictions. 

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

The virus seems to be running amok in Europe (as well as in the US).

Makes you wonder if we are missing something in relation to the means of transmission (apart from mink and Trump rallies)

Apparently they can trace virus hotspots by testing in sewers, and we now know it can mutate/cycle through animals.  Lets hope the upturn during the pandemic in pet sales isn't a contributory factor.

12 hours ago, Paully said:

Thats one option BF could employ. However once we come down from the present levels and the situation stabilises then the Spanish will drop this particular requirement, but always reserving the right to re impose it if our levels rise again. Even greater uncertainty. The other option they have is cancel passenger traffic and operate the Spanish ship in a freight only role. 

At this moment in time I doubt BF have any certainty as to what they are going to. Its one thing after another for them.

BF again between a rock and a hard place. If they cancel they will need to give refunds. If they continue to sail they will get panned on Trip Advisor.

When we went in September the UK infection rate was supposedly below 20 It will take an awful long time to get back down to that sort of figure especially as I think we now doing more testing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IanN said:

When we went in September the UK infection rate was supposedly below 20 It will take an awful long time to get back down to that sort of figure especially as I think we now doing more testing.

The problem is that if you look for something then you are in with a good chance of finding it so getting the rate down again, and keeping it down, will be nearly impossible without the vaccine.

There will have to be a reasseement of the acceptable risks come next Spring if there is to be any chance of tourism restarting.

I think that it will be interesting to see what the French ski ressorts are allowed to do this Winter as that should provide some indication of what the authorities are prepared to accept.

Ed 

• Like 1

Our tickets are booked for 3rd December, a 2 nighter on the inaugural sailing of Galicia. We seem to be caught all ways: we can’t travel to Portsmouth the day before as usual as we will still be locked down and not allowed to overnight other than at home.  We can’t realistically meet the 72 hour Covid test deadline as 36 hours will be on the boat and embarking plus travel time to Portsmouth plus test centres closing overnight.

If the lockdown is extended, even by one day, we can’t travel to Spain at all on that boat anyway. Once we get to Spain - if we do- I believe we cannot travel out of the region we arrive in and certainly not to Andalucia. 

Thankfully we have flexi-tickets so can re-book for later next year. I do wonder however if Brittany Ferries can still insist on the no refunds if the boat sails ruling when so many of us will not be able to legally or practically travel on it.

• Sad 1

Chaos for anyone who are planning a trip shortly.i notice bf have it on there website but no advice at all but what advice can they give to anyone if Spain decides that is the rules.i notice on defra website it says it effects ports and airport but this rules does not effect going to Spain by road and you don't need a test.very strange to me ,you would of thought it would be for any forms of transport going to Spain.just hope the uk gets to stage where the uk is not on the at risk country.stay safe

1 hour ago, nodwad said:

Chaos for anyone who are planning a trip shortly.i notice bf have it on there website but no advice at all but what advice can they give to anyone if Spain decides that is the rules.i notice on defra website it says it effects ports and airport but this rules does not effect going to Spain by road and you don't need a test.very strange to me ,you would of thought it would be for any forms of transport going to Spain.just hope the uk gets to stage where the uk is not on the at risk country.stay safe

I really feel sorry for those caught up in this. If it wasn't for the Leader of the opposition not wanting to be away for Christmas then I would have been caught up in this nightmare

Links from the Canaries are a bit misleading as there are local rules that apply to all non locals including the Spanish and the Spanish National rules.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the BF sailings, the rules are virtually impossible to comply with on their sailings & I am not sure whether lorry drivers are exempt ! It could lead to more unaccompanied trailers on the Spanish routes and more accompanied on the French ones. 

Edited by David Williams
39 minutes ago, IanN said:

Good highlighting Ian..Janet Anscombe is highly respected for her upodates which she has been doing for years. She uses a trusted array of advisors and lawyers before posting information. Certainly a blog to watch.

Edited by Paully

A text from BF today looking forward to seeing us on board on the 3rd December and reminding us that we will need a negative Covid test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival in Spain and that the requirements are very specific. 

What they don't do is tell us how we are supposed to get the test results within the specified period. Boots reckon that they will take 4 days from test to result and that is only if we are prepared to travel some way to the nearest Boots who do such tests. Our surgery can't help unless we have Covid symptoms and even then we'd not get the results within 24 hours.

Is there anyone out there who is going to be on the Galicia that day ?  How ?

3 minutes ago, Cassie said:

A text from BF today looking forward to seeing us on board on the 3rd December and reminding us that we will need a negative Covid test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival in Spain and that the requirements are very specific. 

What they don't do is tell us how we are supposed to get the test results within the specified period. Boots reckon that they will take 4 days from test to result and that is only if we are prepared to travel some way to the nearest Boots who do such tests. Our surgery can't help unless we have Covid symptoms and even then we'd not get the results within 24 hours.

Is there anyone out there who is going to be on the Galicia that day ?  How ?

I believe that there are some labs that will give next day results, however you would need to enquire of guarantees etc, I think that the 2 day crossing gives more chance - ie test midday day 1, result 6pm day 2, sail evening day 2, arrive am day 4 less than 72 hours after sample taken, however if positive you would not be able to move the crossing due to the 4 hour rule for amendment !

Safest at the moment , assuming that France allow movement,  is to drive through France.

It would be good if Spain allowed the 60 min Antigen test, that is probably good enough.

It would be good if BF waived the 4 hour rule for positive tests !

• Like 1