Sorry to report this but it appears that The Grace has grounded just out of Marriehamn. Early days so I can’t report much else but this is awful. Fingers crossed everyone on/board is OK. I have seen some mobile footage and it is frightening how close to the shore she is.

• Sad 1

It’s much too early to speculate but that looks to me as though her engines failed while turning before manoeuvring onto the berth. Let’s hope there are no injuries or worse, and everyone is safe and well

Chris

6E52A455-9669-4C60-9FCD-3BA1B8274CD3.png

Edited by Fine Whine

Further details on their website here

https://www.sales.vikingline.com/find-cruise-trip/timetable/traffic-bulletin/

Updated: 11/21/2020 6:27:02 PM

M/S Viking Grace, which operates the Stockholm–Åland Islands–Turku route, had a ground contact outside the harbour of Mariehamn on 21.11.2020 at 14.10 Finnish time. The situation is stable.

There are 331 passengers and 98 crew members on board. No injuries have been identified. The authorities have been informed. Viking Grace will stay at the site until the wind dies down.

Update at 16.42 Finnish time: the following sailings of Viking Grace are cancelled:
– 21.11 at 20.55 Turku–Långnäs–Stockholm
– 22.11 at 07.45 Stockholm–Mariehamn–Turku
Affected passengers will be informed separately.

Update at 16.50 Finnish time: Divers are currently investigating the bottom of the ship, after which a decision will be made on further action. The situation on board is calm and passengers are offered dinner.

Update at 18.12 Finnish time: Passengers will spend the night on board and leave the ferry tomorrow. The situation is stable, accommodation in cabins and meals are provided on board. Tomorrow we will inform passengers on which ferries they can continue their journey. The ship will be replaced from 23.11 by M/S Gabriella until further notice, first sailing from Turku at 20.55. Affected passengers will be informed separately.

We will provide additional information as soon as possible!

Edited by spll
  • Thanks 3

The good news is that Viking Grace appears to have been refloated and is heading back to Finland under her own power and currently making a steady 16 knots. I remember being on Bretagne about 10 years or so ago, enjoying another one of those gargantuan buffet lunches when all the lights suddenly went out somewhere between Guernsey and Alderney as did the main engines, and remained that way for a good 5 minutes. Suddenly off we went again as though nothing had happened - fine if you're out at sea but pretty scary anywhere close to land and the weather outside is foul.

Chris

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I remember being on Bretagne about 10 years or so ago, enjoying another one of those gargantuan buffet lunches when all the lights suddenly went out somewhere between Guernsey and Alderney as did the main engines, and remained that way for a good 5 minutes. 

Chris

Who can forget those Bretagne lunches in the Les Abers. Best in the fleet. Just hoping that they return, as gargantuan as ever, next year. 🙏

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, colin said:

On the video, at around 1:45, it looks like she regains engines? Visible wash. Seems to be forward thrust? Trying to avoid bow grounding first?

Did she loose engines to start with? It seems odd that she never deployed either of the anchors!

By which time it’s too late. I quite agree Colin, you know as well as I do what it’s like trying to manoeuvre a vessel without bow thrusters. Great when the sails are filled but utterly useless when in a confined space and the wind is blowing in the wrong direction ....💥👇

Chris 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, colin said:

Power loss was a suggestion upthread, and until 1:45 there is no wash from screws or thrusters.

I'm not sure I agree. You can see prop wash prior to 1:45, it definitely looks like she is going astern on her port prop.

If she had lost power they would have dropped one, if not both anchors, especially that close to shore. 

If you watch some of the posters other videos you can see other vessels manoeuvring in that location. They may have had some issues but I doubt they lost power all together. I'm afraid human error may be involved here.

I wouldn't expect to see the wash that we see if she was going astern, and she continues to pivot stern to port. Trying to go astern in that wind would have had the bow continue inexorably towards the shore with a certainty of impact. Even with her bow thrusters going flat out, and they are not, the ship was in a fix, hence my guess as to the action taken when power came back. Lots of ifs, I accept, did she lose power? To engines and thrusters? Did she regain power when I suggest she might have?

I have spent a lot of my life manoeuvring boats, yes, mainly much smaller ones, but the effects of wind, prop action, rudder angle, amount of thrust etc remain similar.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, colin said:

I have spent a lot of my life manoeuvring boats, yes, mainly much smaller ones, but the effects of wind, prop action, rudder angle, amount of thrust etc remain similar.

As a pilot boat (no bow thrusters) coxswain of many years, working through most weather conditions, at a company that serves around 10,000 vessels a year, I understand your point. I just don't think she lost total power. 

If you watch this clip, you can see the Baltic Princess in a similar position whilst waiting for the Galaxy to turn. I am positive that, had they lost any form of power during that maneuver in those conditions, they would have thrown out the anchors. This is standard practice and compulsory to have crew on the anchors in most ports.

Silja Line In Hard Wind 2.11.2020 Mariehamn Åland Baltic Princess & Galaxy - YouTube

• Like 2

I do not disagree, and put lots of question marks in my posts ... Anchors could, and should, be ready, but will only be deployed if the master is sure they will help the situation. If she had tried to anchor, would her stern have grounded? The worst bit of the ship to have touching, with rudders, props and shafts (or pods or whatever system).

I am guessing, and I guess that we will get better info and answers in due course.

My referring to experience was only so that you knew I was not talking out of my a**e.... You have much more relevant experience than me. I was basing my suggestions on the visible wash, and why we suddenly see it.

• Like 4