Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

Proposed new DFDS ferry.

Screenshot_20201126-125524_Facebook.jpg

As I commented on another thread - we should be clear that at this stage, this about DFDS and partner organisations seeking funding for the development of a concept.  Positive news but a long way short of a newbuild yet

 

https://www.dfds.com/en/about/investors/announcements/announcement#lang=English&id=3843041

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RickOShea said:

As I commented on another thread - we should be clear that at this stage, this about DFDS and partner organisations seeking funding for the development of a concept.  Positive news but a long way short of a newbuild yet

I don't think there was any doubt about that. The articles make it quite clear. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gareth changed the title to DFDS Updates
  • 4 weeks later...

 The Princess has just been and the King is heading to dry-dock meaning DFDS are clearly investing in the vessels which is good news! The Newc-Ij route is supposedly doing well due to increase freight volumes which is good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Le Quiberon said:

 The Princess has just been and the King is heading to dry-dock meaning DFDS are clearly investing in the vessels which is good news! The Newc-Ij route is supposedly doing well due to increase freight volumes which is good.

I believe the ships are mostly full of freight which is why the route hasn't been suspended despite no passengers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering with Moby's current issues whether there is likely to be any revival of the replacement of the DFDS Newcastle boats with the Moby sisters? 

Personally quite glad the current sisters are still operating as I've still got a twice delayed trip on King Seaways from last year 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Le Quiberon said:

I think it will still go ahead but later than planned. Crazy to think that the new girls could have been in service by now.

They'd have been in service almost a year by now!  One was due mid-Feb and one mid-March.

I doubt it will ever go ahead.  Project was dependent on the nature of the deal agreed.  That deal will never be on the table again I would imagine.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @RickOShea I had read somewhere about the city of Bruges looking to tender for a new passenger link to the UK. Had wondered if that might come from Newcastle and DFDS. They would (I think) have the capacity in North Shields as presumably they still have 2 linkspans? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Thanks @RickOShea I had read somewhere about the city of Bruges looking to tender for a new passenger link to the UK. Had wondered if that might come from Newcastle and DFDS. They would (I think) have the capacity in North Shields as presumably they still have 2 linkspans? 

I'd say almost zero chance of that route happening and very unlikely to be DFDS unless there was a decision to move from IJmuiden (very unlikely too).

Ports can dream all they like of new routes, but there has to be a commercial attractiveness.

Also note that second linkspan at Newcastle is quite constrained in many ways.  Even the existing DFDS vessels have issues using it, can't recall the specifics.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/02/2021 at 14:18, Tumnus2010 said:

Personally quite glad the current sisters are still operating as I've still got a twice delayed trip on King Seaways from last year 

Me too, I was supposed to be travelling on both in April as part of a re-arranged concert trip, that clearly won't be happening now. They're both (still) lovely ships though so I'm glad they'll be around to enjoy for a while yet, hopefully I'll get on board again before the end of the year. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RickOShea said:

I'd say almost zero chance of that route happening and very unlikely to be DFDS unless there was a decision to move from IJmuiden (very unlikely too).

Ports can dream all they like of new routes, but there has to be a commercial attractiveness.

Also note that second linkspan at Newcastle is quite constrained in many ways.  Even the existing DFDS vessels have issues using it, can't recall the specifics.

With Zeebrugge now working in close partnership with Antwerp might they have decided that freight is their only option for the future?

With Dunkerque seemingly going from strength to strength and the port being only an hour from Bruges is this a more realistic option in terms of passenger traffic?

DFDS could easily market a mini break, call it 2.5 hours from Dover?

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jonno said:

With Zeebrugge now working in close partnership with Antwerp might they have decided that freight is their only option for the future?

With Dunkerque seemingly going from strength to strength and the port being only an hour from Bruges is this a more realistic option in terms of passenger traffic?

DFDS could easily market a mini break, call it 2.5 hours from Dover?

Absolutely - fine idea.  The ferry and hotel short break market is one that DFDS is already experienced in.

A lot of places get obsessed about having a ferry when the reality is reaching a target audience and having workable connections is more important.

When you look at the volume of passengers handled by Hull - Zeebrugge in recent years Vs the volume of tourists going to Bruges, P&O clearly accounted for a relatively small percentage of the total.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickOShea said:

When you look at the volume of passengers handled by Hull - Zeebrugge in recent years Vs the volume of tourists going to Bruges, P&O clearly accounted for a relatively small percentage of the total.

Yes, agreed. Although I suspect the one thing P&O did bring was a certain amount of consistency and particularly low season tourism. I've been in Bruges in high summer when it's been heaving, largely with American and Asian tourists. But, also been there many times in the low season where there have still been healthy numbers of coaches taking minicruise passengers to and from the boat. The 2 for 1 deal certainly helped in that regard, and better "value" than the DFDS equivalent. 

Zeebrugge, like other cruise destinations, must be hoping for the return of the cruise market ASAP. Other than Pont Aven doing festive cruises, is Antwerp used as a cruise destination? 

Edited by Tumnus2010
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Other than Pont Aven doing festive cruises, is Antwerp used as a cruise destination? 

I have been there twice on a cruise!  That said, that was Cruise and Maritime (RIP).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well another aborted trip from last year involves a hotel in Ostend, and I was planning to use Dover-Dunkerque for that as well - so DFDS have a fair bit of my money still. Personally, I love Ostend and much prefer it over Bruges any day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We travelled on one of the last Ramsgate - Ostend crossings, just before it went bust.  Loved Ostend, the ferry was just 'weird' - being almost empty (4 cars and 1 truck).  We dined on chicken and chips in a deserted restaurant, declining the brussel sprouts offered as a side.  The travel up river to the berth at Ostend was scary - the ship didn't seem to slow down and was at times very close to moored craft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw some photos of the King and Princess looking very smart on shipspotting earlier, presumably fresh from refit. It looks like Princess has lost her Maltese cross on her funnel but King still had hers, as of a couple of days ago anyway. All they need now is some passengers ;)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...