On what will now sadly have been our last minicruise to Zeebrugge, we took the car and went to Ghent, which we preferred to Bruges. Very picturesque but less touristy. Would definitely go back. I live in York and when we first went to Bruges the taxi driver we had  laughed, because he said a lot of people from Bruges go to York as tourists. They are quite similar in some ways. 

I think I read on Facebook that the King was one of the last boats to keep its Maltese cross. At least one of the CPH - Oslo boats does too I think, from seeing a recent picture.

• Like 3
  • Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/02/2021 at 09:56, Tumnus2010 said:

I live in York and when we first went to Bruges the taxi driver we had  laughed, because he said a lot of people from Bruges go to York as tourists. They are quite similar in some ways. 

I'm from York too and definitely agree with this

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2021 at 09:56, Tumnus2010 said:

On what will now sadly have been our last minicruise to Zeebrugge, we took the car and went to Ghent, which we preferred to Bruges. Very picturesque but less touristy. Would definitely go back.

Off-topic but during my trip to Belgium I much preferred Ghent to Bruges. Bruges felt almost *too* perfect whereas Ghent has the charm but also felt like a city where people actually lived and worked. On the other hand, Bruges felt a bit like walking around a museum for me as everything was so perfect it felt a bit fake.

The underpass of Gent-sint-Pieters station which was like a concrete building site with confusing signage wasn't its most redeeming feature though!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, AdamW said:

Off-topic but during my trip to Belgium I much preferred Ghent to Bruges. Bruges felt almost *too* perfect whereas Ghent has the charm but also felt like a city where people actually lived and worked. On the other hand, Bruges felt a bit like walking around a museum for me as everything was so perfect it felt a bit fake.

My thoughts exactly!

• Like 2

Same concept for me in Holland. I much prefer Utrecht to Amsterdam. Less crowded, cleaner, still got the canals and some nice little restaurants in the arches along the canal bank.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Pegpilot said:

Same concept for me in Holland. I much prefer Utrecht to Amsterdam. Less crowded, cleaner, still got the canals and some nice little restaurants in the arches along the canal bank.

Yes, I should have been going to Utrecht next month for a concert, which originally should have been in Amsterdam last October...now looks like it will be moved to the Autumn, along with my ferry crossings. It's a lovely city, I also like Haarlem & Rotterdam in preference to Amsterdam. 

• Like 1

Agree with all the above comments. Utrecht we've visited many times for a nice city break, we were advised to go there first by Dutch friends. We also really like The Hague, fewer canals, but an interesting place to be. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

A 10 year extension of the commercial agreement for use of Fellison terminal  at Port of Ijmuiden has been agreed with DFDS and KVSA. Positive news indeed.

Just in case this was missed .... what are peoples thoughts?

Edited by Le Quiberon
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I read via Ferry Shipping News that Moby officially has five ships up for sale, including the Moby Aki & Moby Wonder. Would this provide a new opportunity for DFDS to pick them up for a more favourable price? Though I doubt they would now be able to offload the current ships to Moby in return...

5 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

I read via Ferry Shipping News that Moby officially has five ships up for sale, including the Moby Aki & Moby Wonder. Would this provide a new opportunity for DFDS to pick them up for a more favourable price? Though I doubt they would now be able to offload the current ships to Moby in return...

Moby want £55m for each of them. This may possibly reduce to £30m each with the part ex of the Peter Pans which formed the original deal. That was before Moby's parent company decided to have the Chinese build two new ferries to replace them.

They also want around £50m for Sharden which isn't included in the 5 mentioned and is sailed under the Tirrenia name. She's too big for Holland. Originally Tirrenia wanted to sell her along with Bithia & Janas to the Japanese and charter them back but just like the DFDS deal that fell through too. MSC then decided to sell the 40 year old Aurelia - no takers so she was re branded under SNAV.

I have a feeling that both Aki & Wonder won't be going anywhere until their replacements, the two new monsters being built by GSI arrive. Moby Fantasy is due in the summer of 2022 and the currently un named 2nd ship is due late 2022 starting service early 2023. These are two big girls... 237 metres long and 3800 lane metres.

With BF having cancelled Honfleur I was hoping that they may have looked to one of the Moby sisters to replace Bretagne. She could have gone in the opposite direction to replace one of Moby's 1970's ferries they desperately want to replace... and the larger 214m Bithia Class, Sharden, to possibly take up the reigns at Rosslare as she can carry around 100 HGV's or 140 unaccompanied trailers... Ideal for Spain or Cherbourg.

Both still have 25 years left in them and when you consider BF paid £80 million for a decade old Superfast, £90- £100m for both MSC ships with Bretagne thrown in looks good value.

• Like 1

The Bithia class always look odd I think, due to their lack of windows overlooking the bow. There must have been a good reason for it, but it looks odd in this day and age.

Bretagne would surely be a great bet for the med, it would be nice if she could replace Dubrovnik, a sort of fitting succession from the St. Malo route...

With all of Moby's financial issues, are the two new builds secure still?

The P & O Zeebrugge twins to the med story seems to have gone all quiet too.

9 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

With all of Moby's financial issues, are the two new builds secure still?

Very much so and ordered during said financial issues. Onorato has also bought an FSG built RoRo, the Maria Grazia Onorato during the same period.

• Thanks 1