Brittany Ferries - the "Brand"

So watching the Galicia Inaugaration video, something that stuck out with me was this quote by the Passenger Experience Director:

"The First Ship in the Brittany Ferries Fleet that truly embodies our brand position, putting the discovery of Spain at the heart of the journey"

So what is BFs "Brand Position" now? Has this rebranding gone even deeper then just a new logo and font? 

• Like 1

Interesting question.

I found it quite amusing that, whilst a big thing was made of the fact that the ship is “of course crewed by French sailors”, they shot the outside shots whilst she was still registered in Portsmouth!

The branding question is an interesting one - I thought “French” was always the core of the brand.  So, the “tasty but technically complex” Spanish cuisine required the “expertise of French chefs” to create it.  (So, French chefs are better-placed to create Spanish cuisine than Spanish chefs are they?).

All seems a bit confused to me, in terms of what the branding now is.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, scarlton said:

The brand is now more about discovering the destinations served. I'd add a few more fancy words but frankly can't be arsed.

Yes, basically BF are going to culturally appropriate some Spanish culture and give us a version of Spain onboard that they think the British traveling public want.

Not a fan of this approach TBH. The Breton theme was much more authentic seeing that the company is from Brittany.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, zuludelta said:

Yes, basically BF are going to culturally appropriate some Spanish culture and give us a version of Spain onboard that they think the British traveling public want.

Not a fan of this approach TBH. The Breton theme was much more authentic seeing that the company is from Brittany.

Agreed, and bings me back round - Brttany Ferries has had very very Breton themed ships, so how is Galicia the first to embodie the brand position? How is it essentially different to other members of the fleet, other then changing from the Breton theme (which I thought as a shipping which clearly has "BRITTANY FERRIES" written in big letters on the side, and proudly flies the French (and French Region) flags would have been the brand) to Spanish?

Has the "Brand" become totally disconnected from the companies origins?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, zuludelta said:

I get that, but I don’t get the “this has to be delivered by French personnel” connection.  Seems to just confuse the branding.  I get why (for other reasons) they want to emphasise the use of French crew, and I’m glad they do, but specifically tying that into a branding that is all about the destination is just muddled.

I agree, I’m not a fan either.  The traditional Breton branding is what the company is all about.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, zuludelta said:

There will be an enforced siesta between 2 and 4pm and dinner won't be served until at least 10pm and will include any type of fish accidentally sucked into the engine cooling system. There will be a statue of a fighting bull at the bottom of the central staircase. Bathrooms will have bidets and be the same size as the cabins. The PA announcements will have the volume turned up to 12. There will be no carpets - only hard flooring - to allow spontaneous bouts of flamenco dancing by the crew. 

Ed. 

• Haha 4

This Spanish stuff is easy. Number 2 son owns restaurants in Hong Kong and has taught Chinese chefs to cook tapas, and Nepalese waitresses to describe it and serve it to expat executives. In between repeated lockdowns he makes money. BF will do well with it too. 

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

There will be an enforced siesta between 2 and 4pm and dinner won't be served until at least 10pm and will include any type of fish accidentally sucked into the engine cooling system. There will be a statue of a fighting bull at the bottom of the central staircase. Bathrooms will have bidets and be the same size as the cabins. The PA announcements will have the volume turned up to 12. There will be no carpets - only hard flooring - to allow spontaneous bouts of flamenco dancing by the crew. 

Ed. 

You mate are maracas and someone needs to castanet over you!😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

spontaneous bouts of flamenco dancing by the crew. 

I've just read that due to the longer crossing times BF are opting for more sophisticated onboard passenger entertainment which will include a dance troupe similar to Top of the Pops Pans People named Flame 'N' Co...

Yeah I know, I'll grab me coat...😁

• Haha 3
On 27/11/2020 at 11:41, Gareth said:

The branding question is an interesting one - I thought “French” was always the core of the brand.  So, the “tasty but technically complex” Spanish cuisine required the “expertise of French chefs” to create it.  (So, French chefs are better-placed to create Spanish cuisine than Spanish chefs are they?).

There was a time when the Pont Aven had some Spanish dishes on the menu, even on French crossings. I especially liked what the Basques call "puddins" which are a kind of savoury mousse.

Brittany Ferries have kindly sent us the following which helps explain their brand positioning:

Brittany Ferries’ new brand positioning is to reveal more about the fantastic destinations we serve. This has been the position for the last couple of years; the logo change being one element of it. Galicia is the first ship to follow.

We are, and will always be, very proud of our French roots and French seafarers. But the reality is that the vast majority of passengers are more interested in where they are going/staying than the ship. We – and you – love ships. But to most families they are just a rather lovely bridge to get ‘em to where they want to go.  And if they are going to Spain, they want to know about Spain.

Our brand positioning is therefore to reveal regions like Galicia – possibly the best kept secret in Spain – while they are en route. We want to inspire them, enthuse them and (hopefully) get them to book again while on board.

Galicia (the ship) does this by taking inspiration from the region and “revealing” through delicious food, art inspired by the region, Spanish décor etc…. Don’t forget we have lots of Spanish colleagues, all of whom have contributed to how this has been done…. Cultural appropriation? Ouch, don’t like that comment 😊

Have a great day everyone. We look forward to seeing you on board. You are going to love Galicia – I promise. There will be fireworks in Portsmouth on her arrival next week.

Nigel Wonnacott

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8
3 hours ago, jonno said:

I've just read that due to the longer crossing times BF are opting for more sophisticated onboard passenger entertainment which will include a dance troupe similar to Top of the Pops Pans People named Flame 'N' Co...

Yeah I know, I'll grab me coat...😁

That just bought back memories of my teenage Thursday nights in the '60s - TOTP with Pans People - my favourite was Babs (the very bouncy blonde one)

• Like 1