Opinions on when we will be able to freely in Europe travel again.....

Message added by Andy,

This topic has now been closed, with discussion continuing on the below thread  

I know it has been discussed on the forum already but I thought I would create a thread where people can discuss when they think open, free travel will resume (ie/ like this time last year.)

I know there are travel corridors but I mean free, open travel to all countries in the world. (I am aware of the Brexit situation but lets not go there).

In my opinion it will be towards spring and summer 2021 when winter cases drop down and vaccinations begin for the vulnerable. Then I think European countries will start to reopen borders and travel and tourism can start again.

L'Q.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think at the moment there is little to choose between the various vacines in terms of overall effectiveness. No vaccine will be 100% effective and how well it protects may well depend on the individ

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

In my opinion it will be towards spring and summer 2021 when winter cases drop down and vaccinations begin for the vulnerable. Then I think European countries will start to reopen borders and travel and tourism can start again.

It all depends on the number of vaccines delivered. Doing a bit of simple mathematics following a statement from Cornwall's chief Pharmacist it will take two years on current numbers to have Cornwall covered. The early euphoria is fading a bit about the rollout.

While free travel might happen quickly free SAFE travel will take longer.

Money talk's.

The Canary islands are allowing people to visit with the Antigen test. I guess they do not want to miss out on the lucrative Christmas and new year period. This I guess will apply to any country that relies on tourism for a significant portion of it's GDP. Or any region within a country.

27 minutes ago, IanN said:

Money talk's.

The Canary islands are allowing people to visit with the Antigen test. I guess they do not want to miss out on the lucrative Christmas and new year period. This I guess will apply to any country that relies on tourism for a significant portion of it's GDP. Or any region within a country.

They`ve come unstuck with that..Madrid refused to budge on the PCR test so the CI foolishly went their own way, oblivious to the fact that all sea and airports are under the control of Madrid. They instructed airlines that they had to obey Madrid. Yesterday they were denying boarding to those with just antigen tests. You can check into your hotel with an antigen test but you can`t get there without a PCR...Then after a bit of armtwisting, that may have involved Gibraltar, the UK Government took the CI off the approved list. Nothing is ever what it seems is it.

I think the whole thing is going to be a moving feast for a long while yet when you look at differing infection rates, progress on vaccinations, significance of vaccination 'passports' and a multitude of different tests of varying effectiveness.

In the meantime, once vaccinated, I will settle for the Isle of Wight!

• Like 3

Ian

Spain have said that the British can be assured of a warm welcome in 2021, which no doubt will involved much less onerous restrictions everywhere. On another note I have picked up that Portugal have started to issue Schengen visas for stays of longer than 90 days to British applicants. I have little doubt that Spain intend to do the same.

12 minutes ago, Paully said:

Ian

Spain have said that the British can be assured of a warm welcome in 2021, which no doubt will involved much less onerous restrictions everywhere. On another note I have picked up that Portugal have started to issue Schengen visas for stays of longer than 90 days to British applicants. I have little doubt that Spain intend to do the same.

We have booked for April (Flexi Ticket). We have booked hotels but these are pay on departure so we have great flexibility. We will decide based (If we go) on infection rates the area we visit. Current plan is to wander down the Portuguese border and onto Cadiz. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, IanN said:

Hi Paully 

Thanks for the clarity I should have looked a little deeper. I still think Madrid will come under a lot of pressure when the Holiday season starts in mainland Spain

I believe that the Canaries and Madrid are discussing whether by passing the law they can instruct the National Government or not !

That's the problem when some power is devolved, they think that they control everything in their territory.

I have no plans, but when things look better I will buy economy tickets to Roscoff just two or three days in advance - but only if I can eat, drink and shop freely, and wander the markets and festivals unmasked. I don't know when that will be so I won't be making any bookings. Sorry B/F. 

• Like 3

I am kind of hoping that we can travel a bit now. I have booked the ferry for this Thursday to Caen and will hopefully be coming back on Galicia on Monday. Unfortunately no cabins as I prefer to save the money when doing solo trips.

I do not trust our politicians to manage the next few weeks well, so I thought better get over while I can just in case it all goes more wrong. At least this time it will only be ten days quarantine on my return.

For the second time can we keep this chat online with the thread. It is now going off-piste with discussion about driving licences!! Not having a go at anyone in particular but there had been very little discussion with regards the title thread. The topic is: Opinions on we will be freely able to travel in Europe again.....Thanks! 😊

15 minutes ago, Le Quiberon said:

For the second time can we keep this chat online with the thread. It is now going off-piste with discussion about driving licences!! Not having a go at anyone in particular but there had been very little discussion with regards the title thread. The topic is: Opinions on we will be freely able to travel in Europe again.....Thanks! 😊

OK here goes..The reason that no one has taken you up, is most likely because no one can actually offer an opinion that isnt based on hope/speculation/froth and optimism. None of which, I suspect, is what you are intending. With all due respect to you I think such a title/question might be a little premature and very much worth asking again at some point in the first quarter of next year when hopefully we all might be able to answer with a little more certainty and hope.

• Like 2

It is hardly premature to ask this when many people are plan next years vacations round about now but that’s everyone’s individual opinion I guess. I knew that asking to realign the discussion with the thread title for a second time(!) would rub one or two up the wrong way but thanks to those who have at least tried to get it back on tack!! 👍 Some interesting points raised so far....... I think travel may be possible to SOME countries in by Spring.

• Like 1

The thread asked when we will able to travel in Europe freely again, I take that to mean with no restrictions.

Firstly there is an even chance that we will not be able to enter Europe (or substantial parts of it) for at least the first 3  months of next year. Maybe we will be allowed in by Easter into most countries, maybe not - that decision will be based on our infection rate.

For most of the rest of the year there will be restrictions.

I am attempting to go to the Canaries in January, France at Easter and Spain and France in the summer, however there is a reasonable chance that January and maybe Easter will not be possible and that the Summer will have restrictions.

Edited by David Williams

It is hardly premature to ask this when many people are plan next years vacations round about now

In normal circumstances yes, but we are not in normal circumstances and unlikely to be for months yet. One of my usual travel operators has made no effort whatsover to issue any brochures for next year and shows no signs of doing so. That really tells you all you want to know. You can try to make bookings and no doubt operators will be happy to take your money, maybe with a voucher fallback if it doesn't go ahead, but whether you can get adequate insurance or make flight or ferry arrangements is still in the lap of the Gods.

To be honest, it's a bit pointless even speculating at the moment with all the Covid infection rates rising when it was hoped they woudl be falling by now.

We just need to be patient, frustrating though that may be.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Sorry I spoke.

Is there any method of me being able to make a post which is an attempt to provide legitimate and accurate advice to people who want to “freely travel in Europe again” ......... without involving you ?

It’s not off-piste and completely relevant to the thread.

• Like 1
On 15/12/2020 at 18:22, Le Quiberon said:

Opinions on we will be freely able to travel in Europe again.....

All the time there are idiots out there, who don't wear their masks properly, wash/sanitize hands and have become selfish making unnecessary journeys, then it'll be a long time yet! Where their next mini break is more important than protecting key workers, the elderly and the NHS, there will be no hope. Two years at least and that is if Bonkers Boris manages to buy enough vaccines.

According to Sky News, one of the French govt's scientific advisers has said that the country will not be back to normal until autumn 2021. Not good news for BF's summer bookings next year. Normally I would have booked next year's summer holiday with BF by now, but not even the lure of a 20% discount can persuade me that France will be back to normal and mask-free by then.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-france-wont-return-to-normal-until-autumn-2021-scientific-adviser-warns-12166131

one of the French govt's scientific advisers has said that the country will not be back to normal until autumn 2021. Not good news for BF's summer bookings next year.

Well, a lot of scientists were pooh, poohing the possibility of a vaccine for anther yearat least if at all.

• Like 1
  • Andy locked this topic