Initial thoughts of Galicia (10th Dec)

Northern_Si

1 hour ago, 5_ShortBlasts said:

On the electric front, does anyone know what the standard Voltage/Hz most ferries run on?  Surely that will be the sticking point? My knowledge of charging and electric differences is limited but I just wonder without the standard 240v we have on land, will these chargers be compatible with varying voltages etc?

There must be a source of ~230V for all the on board plug sockets, whether their inverters would handle the additional load is another question!

On 20/12/2020 at 10:29, IanN said:

Pleased to see you back hope things are looking up for you.

Ian

(way off topic please move if required)

Thanks Ian, sorry been thankfully busy last few days getting people out the country on the ‘Great Escape’.!  Re looking up, I was lucky with a friend in high places at another outfit, so have air under my wings again :)  no rather than operating a bus, I am operating a pocket rocket!

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the detailed review. I have lost our Premium Commodore cabin due to having to re-book. Bot at least I have managed to get a Club cabin after again losing our PA Balcony cabin due to another re-book.

I too really cannot understand why BF cannot procure a decent English Breakfast. I really used to enjoy the Brasserie Haddock and Egg or Bacon and Egg on Hull-Zeebrugge (gone now sadly). And the breakfast service on the Stena Twins to `Hook of Holland.

3 hours ago, Javea said:

I too really cannot understand why BF cannot procure a decent English Breakfast.

Because it’s a French company with highly skilled French chefs who make delicious French things out of French produce (and who, admittedly, have recently added Tapas to their extraordinary repertoire) but who have no reason to know what bacon looks like (?) 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Because it’s a French company with highly skilled French chefs who make delicious French things out of French produce (and who, admittedly, have recently added Tapas to their extraordinary repertoire) but who have no reason to know what bacon looks like (?) 😉

Maybe they consider English Breakfast tea bags as sufficient .

5 minutes ago, Chef said:

Maybe they consider English Breakfast tea bags as sufficient .

To be fair, I’ve never considered a decent English breakfast to be a reasonable expectation of a company whose branding is (was) France on water.  But within the limits of reasonable expectation, I’ve never found their attempts at Full English to be that bad.  It’s never going to be the real deal, but it’s a passable effort.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

For me the aroma of freshly baked breakfast patisserie and a café au lait on  board the Pont two hours before arrival in  Roscoff on a Sunday morning beats the full cooked any day , and it's even more special after my winter hiatus . 

Edited by Chef
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Javea said:

I too really cannot understand why BF cannot procure a decent English Breakfast. 

I guess it's for the same reason (although Red Funnel say on their website that they are famed for their breakfasts) that you can't get a decent Croque Monsieur on Red Jet 7! 😃

Edited by colinschandler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eggs Benedict onboard Oscar Wilde was a thing of joy. Never the same aboard WB Yeats. Also remember the B&B hotel chain in France used to have reasonable self-service scrambled eggs & bacon; haven't stayed with them for a while.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, colinschandler said:

I guess it's for the same reason (although Red Funnel say on their website that they are famed for their breakfasts) that you can't get a decent Croque Monsieur on Red Jet 7! 😃

And the same reason you never get proper croissants in Tesco (or anywhere else in the UK for that matter).

Just now, Gareth said:

And the same reason you never get proper croissants in Tesco (or anywhere else in the UK for that matter).

Lidl in-store bakery one's are quite good but generally you are quite right on the croissants front

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paully said:

Lidl in-store bakery one's are quite good but generally you are quite right on the croissants front

How do you eat your croissants? Do you tear them into chunks before adding jam or honey?

Ed

I've adopted a method my wife's family uses which is to flip the croissant over, press down, spread the flat underside with jam etc. and then attack it from one of the pointed ends. It seems cleaner with less wasted flakes and less greasy fingers.

Ed

10 hours ago, colinschandler said:

But they should consider they are catering for mainly British tourists.

8 minutes ago, Javea said:

But they should consider they are catering for mainly British tourists.

British tourists who have chosen to holiday in France, not Britain.

They do attempt to cater for them, because they do provide an English breakfast to the best that can be expected of a company that is not British.  And that does not use British produce.  But if a proper English breakfast is really that important to someone then one has to wonder why they don’t just stay in Britain and enjoy the many opportunities to sample one there.  Why bother to go to France and then complain that it is French, not British! 😉

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I've adopted a method my wife's family uses which is to flip the croissant over, press down, spread the flat underside with jam etc. and then attack it from one of the pointed ends. It seems cleaner with less wasted flakes and less greasy fingers.

Ed

I never spoil a good French croissant by contaminating it with jam!  A bit of butter, that’s all that’s needed! 😁

27 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I never spoil a good French croissant by contaminating it with jam!  A bit of butter, that’s all that’s needed! 😁

Isn't there enough butter in the croissant already?

Ed

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

How do you eat your croissants? Do you tear them into chunks before adding jam or honey?

Ed

I didnt know there was any other way..You live and learn 🤣

50 minutes ago, Paully said:

I didnt know there was any other way..You live and learn 🤣

I'm not just here for the quality of my jokes!

I believe it's a technique adopted by those cafe-goers who want a quick breakfast on the way to work but don't use plates as the croissants are served on paper mats. 

Ed

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'm not just here for the quality of my jokes!

I believe it's a technique adopted by those cafe-goers who want a quick breakfast on the way to work but don't use plates as the croissants are served on paper mats. 

Ed

Barbarians

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Isn't there enough butter in the croissant already?

Ed

Indeed. It has to be a pretty crappy croissant to need EXTRA butter.

• Like 3

Where I come from a croissant is my mum's angry soister.

Bread, cheese, ham & fruit for me.

It's changed over the years, I couldn't eat an English breakfast now if I tried and I can only drink decaf coffee otherwise I begin to act like I'm on amphetamines... talk about wired.