Initial thoughts of Galicia (10th Dec)

Northern_Si

Gareth I've seen real croissants being made prior to baking and as Colin says you start with butter, add a little flour then more butter and flour and even more butter - ad infinitum

I too really cannot understand why BF cannot procure a decent English Breakfast.

Javea do you mean procure or produce? The problem here is all about timing - BF could probably procure Bert's best bangers if they wanted to, but to cook a proper English breakfast you need time. Imagine the indignation if -God forbid- the eggs were slightly overcooked, sausages not brown enough, bacon with no crispy skin...Nothing is impossible in this world but if you've 300-400 (or more) folk heading for breakfast on MSM/Normandie at early a'clock in the morning and all at the same time and you dock in 45 minutes it can never work. Hence the current offering that's pre-cooked, quite tasty, generally luke warm in Le Self, piping hot in the a la carte if you pay extra...

In an ideal world of course they could make a decent shot of it but given there are only a limited number of hours in a day and a tight schedule, not possible I'm afraid

Chris

• Like 2

I agree with both sides of the breakfast debate. Yes, we should understand that BF is French, but no, there is no excuse for murdering food.

Why not "The Full British" (English, Scottish or whatever) which would not just satisfy the Europeans heading for Blighty, but the upper crust of UK partakers, and "The Full French" where the focus is on French produce and habits. Oh, and of course I almost forgot "The Full Irish".

Source and prepare the products to achieve a standard which is a cut above, and matches the best of BF cuisine.

By all means trot out slops cooked by nuclear fusion in the self service if you really insist. No complaints about quantity, but probably the worst I have experienced on any ferry in terms of quality, preparation and even presentation.

7 minutes ago, Solo said:

Says enough about Galicia that the discussion is about what breakfast you get.

Well, to be fair, most outbound passengers will have to endure two of them! 🤣

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Gareth said:

British tourists who have chosen to holiday in France, not Britain.

They do attempt to cater for them, because they do provide an English breakfast to the best that can be expected of a company that is not British.  And that does not use British produce.  But if a proper English breakfast is really that important to someone then one has to wonder why they don’t just stay in Britain and enjoy the many opportunities to sample one there.  Why bother to go to France and then complain that it is French, not British! 😉

i have an English breakfast on board as I have to watch what I eat under normal circumstances.  I would not dare eat a full English in day to day life at home, ferry trips are the only times I let myself have one, it makes it a treat and extra special.  And I would be working the calories off with all the running around bunker complexes anyway, which is my usual activity once over there.  Ferry trips are an occasion to let the hair down and pig out so in my case a full English on a French ship is a good excuse..😁

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chef said:

The full fry up can be very versatile , just add chips and it's a lunch or dinner item .

On the rare occasions when I do one for dinner, I always put garlic in the mushrooms.  Not appropriate for breakfast!

Further to my comment above, breakfasts are only on morning sailings when I get on in Poole, then got a few hours to let it all go down.  First thing in the morning after an overnight crossing, all I can face is coffee, and rarely eat a darn thing till I get on the return crossing, unless I have time to mosey down to Maccy’s before being collected. Overnights from Poole allowed that, wasn’t unusual to be sat outside the Cherbourg Maccy’s just before opening..🤣