Galicia Cherbourg-Portsmouth 14/12/20

Having just travelled on Galica I thought it would be useful to share some pictures and experiences.  I was booked on the 2145 Cherbourg-Portsmouth service on 14/12.  Despite the advice for checkin to be 90 minutes before, I arrived approximately 75 minutes before and it looked like they had only just started checking people in.  There were around 20-25 cars on the crossing.

Car were loaded onto deck 5 starboard.  Lorries were towards the front.

IMG_1208.thumb.JPEG.5fc36f00977efc116930f168dbdf0f66.JPEG

Headed up to deck 7 to find my cabin for the night.  I'm back over on Galicia later in the month in a 2 berth Commodore, so this time I went for one of the 4 berth inside to compare wheat they mean by the "superior mattress, bed linen and towels".  As no guides were given out at check in it was a case of having to follow the signs to locate the cabin.  The signage used is familiar to those that have been on Stena vessels

IMG_1219.thumb.JPEG.65f7a81d3275d00d3dfe2c3e58394722.JPEG

IMG_1220.thumb.JPEG.c3a3d1ca063a56e64f09f128d19676ab.JPEG

The cabin itself was clean, one fixed bed on display, the rest of the bunks tucked away.  The matresses are of a memory foam type, supportive pillows and the usual bedsheets etc.  

There was a pull out shelf under the bed, not sure what it was for, maybe to assist with putting shoes on, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

IMG_1209.thumb.JPEG.b815b5d1c0d4f605d40cb5f80cad3846.JPEG

IMG_1216.thumb.JPEG.d74f21c3a2f85c94f568f401af30be49.JPEG

IMG_1210.thumb.JPEG.1abf026113802a6f2341cc63eeecc5b0.JPEG

IMG_1211.thumb.JPEG.8cbdf6becc28eb3f47309262edab432f.JPEG

IMG_1212.thumb.JPEG.73faf739de423c00a54e6f81f4cccad3.JPEG

I was able to have a look around the vessel which was extremely quiet.  Some areas have doors to identify the cabin types:

IMG_1221.thumb.JPEG.a8286bca5d8d80df24b558950d583f02.JPEG

Unfortunately the bar was closed:

IMG_1232.thumb.JPEG.8a9491955bab5de5684ccf27165a784d.JPEG

(contd.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Public areas are comfortable. 

IMG_1231.thumb.JPEG.cfaa5f401ae1b079a6876943710839e7.JPEG

More "Stena" signage:

IMG_1222.thumb.JPEG.9af02a87b3cdcd2483f7cfc1e518fba0.JPEG

There are however a few things that let it down.  The "wooden" railings are in fact plastic.  Some of them are also not flush fitting giving a non-straight finish

IMG_1227.thumb.JPEG.f08a467e2e7523e672e9a505920efe4e.JPEG

There's also the odd touch of rust coming through, but it's a ship at sea, so to be expected.  In addition I noticed that the speakers toward the inside rear of deck 9 had problems so announcements couldn't be heard.  I noticed that although there's a large bar area, there's no show lounge or area that I could see for live entertainment which is a surprise considering the longer nature of the crossings on this vessel.

Outdoor children's play area:

IMG_1223.thumb.JPEG.fe818fd7499746b56a8c7229e5bf14ab.JPEG

Exercise area:

IMG_1228.thumb.JPEG.0d6e444e3ff7439cd9c1c7e8a8e68189.JPEG

C-Lounge

IMG_1233.thumb.JPEG.aaa89d4c81b00cd6e1cc517de68de41a.JPEG

Childrens Explorer Area:

IMG_1234.thumb.JPEG.778e4961c0332c1759ed227c0ec0b46e.JPEG

A reasonably good nights sleep.  Woken up at 5am by an announcement for breakfast, no Troellenn this morning (🤓).   Announcement for Green stickered passengers to join their cars at 5.45, then no other announcements until a knock on the door just after 6 to vacate the cabin.  Disembarking took an age and didn't get off until around 6.30, but then quickly through immigration before Normandie had a chance to disgorge her hoard.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Thanks Lapper, interesting reports. I was on Normandie this morning going the other way- absolute chaos at PIP with cars, vans, trailers and old bangers all jostling for position and the queue almost back to the M275. I still hadn’t gone through the customs shed at 08h10 ( it’s was an 08h15 departure for goodness sake) and was starting to worry whether we would be left behind but no, sanity prevailed and we eventually left 30 mins late. 
I’m on Galicia next Monday and like you sampling the Commodore 2 berth suite - if you’re on that one PM me in advance and we could meet up for a glass of  contraband red wine smuggled in via a San Pelligrino bottle..😂

Chris

• Like 1
1 hour ago, VikingVoyager said:

Thanks for the report. 

Is this an upgraded cabin (over the standard)? I can't see a four berth Commodore Cabin listed on the accommodation options on the website

No VV this is a four berth inside cabin.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, VikingVoyager said:

Is this an upgraded cabin (over the standard)? I can't see a four berth Commodore Cabin listed on the accommodation options on the website

No, this is a standard 4-berth inside.  I've got the outside 2 berth commodore on Sunday to compare!

16 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

if you’re on that one PM me in advance and we could meet up for a glass of  contraband red wine smuggled in via a San Pelligrino bottle..😂

Chris

Happy sailings, I'm on the outbound from Portsmouth on the Sunday.  You'll definitely need to smuggle something, or get a meal on board to be able to have a drink.  

• Thanks 1
On 15/12/2020 at 13:49, Lapper said:

Having just travelled on Galica I thought it would be useful to share some pictures and experiences.  I was booked on the 2145 Cherbourg-Portsmouth service on 14/12.  Despite the advice for checkin to be 90 minutes before, I arrived approximately 75 minutes before and it looked like they had only just started checking people in.  There were around 20-25 cars on the crossing.

Car were loaded onto deck 5 starboard.  Lorries were towards the front.

IMG_1208.thumb.JPEG.5fc36f00977efc116930f168dbdf0f66.JPEG

Headed up to deck 7 to find my cabin for the night.  I'm back over on Galicia later in the month in a 2 berth Commodore, so this time I went for one of the 4 berth inside to compare wheat they mean by the "superior mattress, bed linen and towels".  As no guides were given out at check in it was a case of having to follow the signs to locate the cabin.  The signage used is familiar to those that have been on Stena vessels

IMG_1219.thumb.JPEG.65f7a81d3275d00d3dfe2c3e58394722.JPEG

IMG_1220.thumb.JPEG.c3a3d1ca063a56e64f09f128d19676ab.JPEG

The cabin itself was clean, one fixed bed on display, the rest of the bunks tucked away.  The matresses are of a memory foam type, supportive pillows and the usual bedsheets etc.  

There was a pull out shelf under the bed, not sure what it was for, maybe to assist with putting shoes on, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

IMG_1209.thumb.JPEG.b815b5d1c0d4f605d40cb5f80cad3846.JPEG

IMG_1216.thumb.JPEG.d74f21c3a2f85c94f568f401af30be49.JPEG

IMG_1210.thumb.JPEG.1abf026113802a6f2341cc63eeecc5b0.JPEG

IMG_1211.thumb.JPEG.8cbdf6becc28eb3f47309262edab432f.JPEG

IMG_1212.thumb.JPEG.73faf739de423c00a54e6f81f4cccad3.JPEG

I was able to have a look around the vessel which was extremely quiet.  Some areas have doors to identify the cabin types:

IMG_1221.thumb.JPEG.a8286bca5d8d80df24b558950d583f02.JPEG

Unfortunately the bar was closed:

IMG_1232.thumb.JPEG.8a9491955bab5de5684ccf27165a784d.JPEG

(contd.)

Just spotted, unlike the rest of the fleet - 13A sockets in the cabin!👍😊

They look like 13A UK in one of Lapper's pic's. But I should have said "others in fleet". There are only Euro 2pin+Earth on  my regular  fleet members Armorique and PA but I haven't been on MSM, Normandie or Bretagne for a couple of years, so it's great UK 13A are now appearing. Been on none of the rentaboats.

46 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

They look like 13A UK in one of Lapper's pic's. But I should have said "others in fleet". There are only Euro 2pin+Earth on  my regular  fleet members Armorique and PA but I haven't been on MSM, Normandie or Bretagne for a couple of years, so it's great UK 13A are now appearing. Been on none of the rentaboats.

I also think that Barfleur has them, I seem to recall pictures of the sockets upside down on her.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I also think that Barfleur has them, I seem to recall pictures of the sockets upside down on her.

No David, that was Brigitte taking photos while standing on her head after a double shot of BF caffeine ..😂

Joking aside the ability to charge a mobile device while in a cabin seems as obvious as having a shower that provides hot water...

Chris

• Like 1

She looks good - not a bit of tacky neon or clashing colours to be seen, really makes some of the other fleet members even some of the newer ones (I'm thinking of her Santander fleetmate) look very dated.

That's a lot of Stena line signage though, and that cabin chair is pure Stena.

You mentioned the beds, how were they to actually sleep on?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Seashore said:

You mentioned the beds, how were they to actually sleep on?

I slept really well actually, didn't wake up at all during the night which is rare for me on a ferry.  The ship itself is also very quiet.

13 hours ago, Seashore said:

She looks good - not a bit of tacky neon or clashing colours to be seen, really makes some of the other fleet members even some of the newer ones (I'm thinking of her Santander fleetmate) look very dated.

Agreed, she does look modern compared to others in the fleet.  The jury's out here though as to how she'll hold up  and what she'll look like in a few years time once a few thousand people have passed through.

Is it just me or does that Stena signage look really old-fashioned? If you'd have told me that it was taken mid-channel en-route to the Hook of Holland in 1982 I would have willingly believed you!

Sorry, nit-picking on my part. Thanks for the write up :) 

• Like 3
On 17/12/2020 at 11:35, AdamW said:

Is it just me or does that Stena signage look really old-fashioned? If you'd have told me that it was taken mid-channel en-route to the Hook of Holland in 1982 I would have willingly believed you!

Sorry, nit-picking on my part. Thanks for the write up :) 

I find it weird that BF didn't spec their own signage, given that so much else about the vessel was bespoke.

• Like 2
On 20/12/2020 at 22:22, Nick Hyde said:

Totally agree. They have more digital and films available in cabins but these are nothing compared to live entertainment. 

Seems like a self own too?

On the Zeebrugge crossing, the entertainment team was limited to just a handful of people but the bars were full at least partly as a result

An update to my earlier notes - following our return from Cherbourg on December 28th in a Commodore Suite.

Well. Wendy is not a fan of overnight travel - particularly on a ferry. But within minutes of entering suite 935 she bounced on the bed, saying "I want to live here for ever". A pretty good start. The bed and bedding is luxurious, and the space and fittings are great. We both slept well, and could find nothing to dim our enthusiasm. We declined the in-room breakfast as the offering does not suit her wheat and dairy allergy, but the restaurant breakfast was fine.

If you guys out there have been really naughty - say you have just killed her Mother, or even worse, you ate the last Marron Glace - then treating her to a night in the commodore suite will ensure instant forgiveness. Save up and try it.

Edited by rogerpatenall
spelling
  • Like 2

Well, David. We didn't actually spend a lot of time on 'our balcony'. But I had a quick look out of the door, and it is a fairly bland area. I can't remember seeing seating, but there may be some fixed benches. As far as the Cherbourg crossings are concerned, the area is not likely to become a major selling point.

9 minutes ago, rogerpatenall said:

Well, David. We didn't actually spend a lot of time on 'our balcony'. But I had a quick look out of the door, and it is a fairly bland area. I can't remember seeing seating, but there may be some fixed benches. As far as the Cherbourg crossings are concerned, the area is not likely to become a major selling point.

Thanks, I was more concerned re possible loss of privacy, use by others as smoking areas etc.,

Did you notice the Internet speed at all being any different to the rest of the fleet? Is there the free Wi-Fi level service in ALL areas including cabins now? Presumably you can still upgrade, but I wonder if the speed was more usable that Pont for example. I suppose during Covid times, the shear drop in numbers will have improved it somewhat....