News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

1 minute ago, Solo said:

Do you really think that any one will book a crossing in May now, unless they really need to get to France.  It doesn't take much to realise what's going on in France for the next couple of months.

Indeed, you’d like to think so!

• Like 1
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CAP FINISTERE in Le Havre tonight (from Southampton's quay) : 

Pictures of the day 😉 View from the SS FRANCE :    

Armorique  coming into Poole, courtesy of the fjb webcam.  Seen two bods down at the Haven taking pics...😁

Posted Images

If they are selling sailings knowing they will have to refund them, intending to refund them using fares from future reservations which might also themselves have to be re funded, thats not Ratner, thats a Ponzi scheme!!!

I've got a voucher for 250 quid from last year, I'm getting worried it might turn out to be valueless. 

Rhys

7 minutes ago, Penlan said:

If they are selling sailings knowing they will have to refund them, intending to refund them using fares from future reservations which might also themselves have to be re funded, thats not Ratner, thats a Ponzi scheme!!!

I've got a voucher for 250 quid from last year, I'm getting worried it might turn out to be valueless. 

Rhys

I believe that they will refund vouchers from sailings cancelled last year now if asked.

44 minutes ago, Penlan said:

Rhys

I guess there is a fine line between “knowing (certain)” and “knowing (95% likely)”.  Both are disingenuous but only one is illegal.  I can’t imagine that what BF is doing is in the illegal category.

I did a trial booking on Tuesday for Plymouth-Roscoff for the last week in May to get a check on prices but did not go to the payment screen. Then something that has not happened before when I have made trail bookings; on the next day I got an email from BF headed "Your ferry quote --" . "We are holding your provisional booking until midnight today; to confirm you booking click here "Confirm my booking". 

Struck me as a bit of a desperate attempt to get bums on berths and cash in the bank!! They obviously picked up my email address from my CV membership number.

Edited by colinschandler

Realistically, I think people need to wait until sailings are actually happening before booking so that you can reaonably be assured that the sailing will take place as scheduled. It does seem to me that too many people are eager to take a punt on something that might not happen and are being financially held to hostage as a result.

The Covid infection rate in France at the moment seems to be pretty dire and it coud be weeks or even months before travel to France can be considered to be safe.

Ok, that is really frustrating but I think we just have to be patient and wait things out.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, colinschandler said:

I did a trial booking on Tuesday for Plymouth-Roscoff for the last week in May to get a check on prices but did not go to the payment screen. Then something that has not happened before when I have made trail bookings; on the next day I got an email from BF headed "Your ferry quote --" . "We are holding your provisional booking until midnight today; to confirm you booking click here "Confirm my booking". 

Struck me as a bit of a desperate attempt to get bums on berths and cash in the bank!! They obviously picked up my email address from my CV membership number.

Going to have to try that myself.... If enough of us do it, we could clog up their system....

Rhys

2 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Perhaps some special offers could lure bums on berths

summer 2019 they had 7 days for £ 199 (plym to Roscoff) - and that was in August.

4 day special was quite good too - leave fri am, and return tues afternoon crossing. 

However, unless numbers go down with our friends in Europe - travelling will be difficult. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, PGTV said:

Perhaps some special offers could lure bums on berths

summer 2019 they had 7 days for £ 199 (plym to Roscoff) - and that was in August.

4 day special was quite good too - leave fri am, and return tues afternoon crossing. 

However, unless numbers go down with our friends in Europe - travelling will be difficult. 

We took advantage of a few of both of those which were cheaper than a similar booking with  a CV discount  (there was still a 5% CV discount on the special offers) BUT at the moment, as you say, until things improve in France, travelling will be difficult.

Now with the approx £4-500 cost of the 4 tests for 2 people, this would make any day or short trip uneconomic, even if the ferry was only, like the old Dover-Calais £10 day trips for a car full in the 70's and 80's .

To get these tests is just absurd 

im going to a detached house in farmland, so no risk here. I’m hardly going to bring back a new version of covid called the “carhaix-variant”

• Like 2

Given the reports in the press this morning, I wonder which ferry company will be the first to offer a summer service from the UK to Iceland. This appears to be the only European country on the 'Green List' within a reasonable distance by sea. I can't see anybody wanting to take their car by sea to Gibraltar or Malta given the small distances you can actually drive when there (plus the excellent bus network on the latter). 

Ed

51 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Given the reports in the press this morning, I wonder which ferry company will be the first to offer a summer service from the UK to Iceland. This appears to be the only European country on the 'Green List' within a reasonable distance by sea. I can't see anybody wanting to take their car by sea to Gibraltar or Malta given the small distances you can actually drive when there (plus the excellent bus network on the latter). 

Ed

Used to be one - rather strangely from Newcastle.

18 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'm far too young to remember that. How long did it take? 

Ed

I think it only ran for one year, in 1983. The ship was called Edda, later to become Celtic Pride for Swansea-Cork Ferries.  Newcastle-Reykjavik sailings were interspersed with Newcastle-Bremerhaven rotations. Once a week to each I think, can’t remember exactly, but that’s why the UK terminus was Newcastle.  I’ve probably got a note of the timings somewhere, but off the top of my head I think the Iceland sailings were around 48 hours each way.

It would make more sense, I guess, to run an Iceland route from a west coast port, perhaps Liverpool, but maybe not that much in it.  If they ran from a Scottish port then maybe they could get the passage down to 36 hours, but you’d still be hard-pushed to get 2 round trips reliably per week.  So never going to be a high-volume route!

8 minutes ago, wortley said:

Used to be one from Lerwick to Iceland too but that died as well. 

Yes, that was the Smyril Line call at Lerwick.  The Hirtshals to Seydisfjordur route still operates, but no longer calls at Lerwick en route.  And it’s no longer separate from the Hirtshals - Thorshavn route; the ship now sails from Hirtshals to both Thorshavn and Seydisfjordur, calling at the Faeroes each way en route to and from Iceland.

12 minutes ago, Gareth said:

So never going to be a high-volume route!

Thanks. I don't think it would need to be high-volume but would be an interesting option for this year at least for those with campervans hoping to use their vehicles outside the UK. A route from Holyhead would be equally practical. I'll be interested to see if anyone tries it given all the spare ships and crews some operators have lying around. 

Ed

• Like 1

There was also a route from Newcastle to Norway that was very popular.my father and friends used to go over to see friends they had in Norway.all of them met during the ww2 .stay safe

With Portugal's current figures I'd happily travel there for a week or two, problem is, none of their seaports has any RoPax ferry facilities. Portimao possibly?

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

With Portugal's current figures I'd happily travel there for a week or two, problem is, none of their seaports has any RoPax ferry facilities. Portimao possibly?

Both Portugal and Spain have turned in the wrong direction, hopefully temporarily.

Paul Charles has a useful chart which attempts to predict the UK traffic lights 

https://twitter.com/PPaulCharles/status/1383026164206342149?s=20

31 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Both Portugal and Spain have turned in the wrong direction, hopefully temporarily.

I agree that Spain has arguably seen a rise, although their Minsterio de Sanidad figures are a two weeks old but Portugal's have been consistently low, averaging just under 500 cases per day and about 5 deaths. I think the numbers are something like 491.7 & 4.88.

Any travel regardless of Green Red or Amber will still require a minimum of two PCR tests which for a family of mum, dad & two kids could add nearly £800 if you want same day turnaround so in all reality that will be cost prohibitive.

Cheapest 2 day turnaround I've seen, which in effect is 3 days, is £89, that's still pushing £360 for mum and dad to take their kids on a Green listed holiday and you'd need to ask the question... can they produce the results in the real world when the volume of tests increase exponentially?

Cheapest next day I've seen, so two days in all with a wait up to 8pm for your result, is £109 per test.

If you want same day meaning you'll wait up until midnight, you're looking at £199 per test.

• Thanks 1

As of  the 16th of April  Portugal had a fourteen day average infection rate of 68.44 per 100,000 the lowest in the EU , Iceland is included in the European figures and their number is the lowest of them all at 23.07 per 100,000.

On 18/04/2021 at 08:46, Gareth said:

It would make more sense, I guess, to run an Iceland route from a west coast port, perhaps Liverpool, but maybe not that much in it.  If they ran from a Scottish port then maybe they could get the passage down to 36 hours, but you’d still be hard-pushed to get 2 round trips reliably per week.  So never going to be a high-volume route!

Scotland currently requires anyone arriving in Scotland from anywhere overseas to go into hotel quarantine for 10 days so a ferry from Scotland to Iceland wouldn't work at the moment.

8 hours ago, elaine80 said:

Scotland currently requires anyone arriving in Scotland from anywhere overseas to go into hotel quarantine for 10 days so a ferry from Scotland to Iceland wouldn't work at the moment.

By contrast the situation here in Cornwall is......number 2 son has just flown in from Hong Kong because his mother is very ill and he is worried.  No economy flights available so £3000+ for a one way business class seat. No one at Heathrow at all interested in his locator form, so made his own way here to Cornwall for ten days isolation in the house.

Two tests at exorbitant costs due to arrive by post but no chance of any one phoning him here as we have no mobile signal. If and when he goes back he has the prospect of three weeks isolation in an hotel room and the likelihood of being arrested if he so much as steps out of the room.

Hong Kong has Brazil, India, South Africa and UK as their red list.