News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

Gareth

I second that question - judging that some of these cars yesterday were rammed with stuff inside, are the French and Spanish customs going to check each car, empty it, and take a note of what was inside.

Are they going to impound you/car if they find a carton of milk or some slices of ham - while the car next to you gets away with 5kg of *cough* inside?

53 minutes ago, PGTV said:

I second that question - judging that some of these cars yesterday were rammed with stuff inside, are the French and Spanish customs going to check each car, empty it, and take a note of what was inside.

Are they going to impound you/car if they find a carton of milk or some slices of ham - while the car next to you gets away with 5kg of *cough* inside?

I was more interested in the delays in the new borders, we should always obey the rules.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Armorique is covering Cotentin because the latter needs taking off duty for an issue she’s developed, Armorique is filling in.

Edited by Khaines
  • Thanks 1

Judging by the queues as seen on BBC & ITV the newspaper reports were correct. Hope this all bodes well for Ireland-France crossings if the Irish Government ever let us out!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

Judging by the queues as seen on BBC & ITV the newspaper reports were correct. Hope this all bodes well for Ireland-France crossings if the Irish Government ever let us out!

I notice on the Ireland timetable that  both Pont Aven and Armorique are showing as being available to book from the 19th of June as opposed to showing as being fully booked ? the Irish Government" advice" is to avoid international travel and is expected to allow international from the 19th of July when Ireland will be operating the digital passport , so if you are fully vaccinated and had a compelling reason to head to France at the moment and not be returning till after the 19July then maybe !

Edited by Chef

What is the problem with Cotentin? It has been a few days since she arrived in Le Harvre and substituting Armourique has reduced the number of freight crossings available. I don't think the Government contract is still running so the crossings must be self supporting, ergo less cost to curtail some routes rather than dig another vessel out of lay up. Will BF show a profit this year??

3 hours ago, Barry Thomas said:

What is the problem with Cotentin? It has been a few days since she arrived in Le Harvre and substituting Armourique has reduced the number of freight crossings available. I don't think the Government contract is still running so the crossings must be self supporting, ergo less cost to curtail some routes rather than dig another vessel out of lay up. Will BF show a profit this year??

Gearbox I think, from a well placed source in the shipping industry, on a Facebook post of his.

Gearbox eh! Now is it an automatic, pre-selector, or (as the Yanks call it) stick shift. OK being facetious, those reduction gearboxes fitted to most diesel ships transmit some hefty power; so it's not surprising if they give problems occasionally. 

A brief summary of Santander on the first PA crossing 06/06/2021

We were one of the first off. Passports were stamped and it did seem to take longer. Then its' all change. Drive approx 1/2 mile through the port and there are signs for cars with nothing to declare straight on. Caravans, campers, vans  and cars with pets were diverted off to the right and all seemed to be being checked. We were stopped for a second in our car and then waved straight through. Not sure of the time taken but it is going to take longer. Some one from Deck 5 needs to comment to get a better picture from the back of the line. Interestingly we were reminded a number of times about the passenger locator form and then they didn't collect them 

With regards to testing the reduced cost of the hotels on our three weeks in Galicia more than covers this. Just how long it will take to get through border controls at Plymouth is another matter. Going out was not good the check in lanes were being used to hold cars with very little space available after that hence Plymouth blocked. Spain apart from mask wearing seems very relaxed with people just getting on with it and lower rates than at home

Ian

• Thanks 3

Update to sailings posted today:

Ship Route(s) First sailing(s)
Barfleur

Poole / Cherbourg / Poole

Cancelled from 27 June up to and including 13 September Poole - Cherbourg

13 September, Cherbourg - Poole at 18:15
Bretagne

Portsmouth / St Malo / Portsmouth

Cancelled from 27 June St Malo - Portsmouth at 10:30 up to and including 19 July Portsmouth - St Malo at 20:15

*Armorique replacing Bretagne
(20 July St Malo - Portsmouth at 10:30 up to and including 12 September Portsmouth - St Malo at 20:15

Bretagne:
13 September, St Malo - Portsmouth at 10:40

Armorique:
20 July, St Malo - Portsmouth at 10:30

Armorique

Plymouth / Roscoff / Plymouth

Cancelled from 21 June Roscoff - Plymouth at 15:00 up to and including 12 September Plymouth - Roscoff at 22:00

13 September, Roscoff - Plymouth at 15:00
Cap Finistère

Portsmouth / Bilbao / Portsmouth

Cancelled up to and including 18 July

19 July, Portsmouth - Bilbao at 17:00
Pont-Aven

Cork / Roscoff / Cork

Cancelled from 18 June up to and including 26 June

2 July, Roscoff - Cork at 22:15
Normandie

Portsmouth / Caen / Portsmouth

Cancelled from 20 June up to and including 15 July Portsmouth - Caen at 08:15

15 July, Caen - Portsmouth at16:30

The following ships and routes will operate as scheduled.

Ship Route(s)
Connemara Rosslare/Cherbourg/Rosslare
Rosslare/Bilbao/Rosslare
Galicia Portsmouth/Santander/Portsmouth
Portsmouth/Cherbourg/Portsmouth
Mont St Michel Portsmouth/Caen/Portsmouth
Pont-Aven Plymouth/Santander/Plymouth
Roscoff/Plymouth/Roscoff
Armorique Freight only until 19 July
Normandie Freight only until 14 July

However, they are going to be starting to take foot passengers again, although only on the Pont from Plymouth

Whilst sizing up August possibilities on Cork-Roscoff found that Armorique is off this route until mid September, but not mentioned in CEO's message. Just hope PA isn't taken off as well.

7 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Whilst sizing up August possibilities on Cork-Roscoff found that Armorique is off this route until mid September, but not mentioned in CEO's message. Just hope PA isn't taken off as well.

Armorique is covering St Malo for the summer, but going by the above, Pont is running as normal at the moment, although time will tell what changes happen in the weeks to come

The other interesting thing is what this tells us about bookings. Poole / Cherbourg clearly does not have enough through the Summer & St Malo is not popular outside school holidays.

I fear that this will get worse, unless the news improves in the next few weeks, more families will switch to UK holidays and more cancellations will follow.

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

The other interesting thing is what this tells us about bookings. Poole / Cherbourg clearly does not have enough through the Summer & St Malo is not popular outside school holidays.

I fear that this will get worse, unless the news improves in the next few weeks, more families will switch to UK holidays and more cancellations will follow.

St Malo is normally heaving just after the school summer holidays with an older clientele. Perhaps the return of Bretagne is pitched for them?

• Like 1

Seems strange that Bretagne is not returning until mid September, presumably in the present climate, to be withdrawn after a relatively short period of time. Doesnt seem to make sense. I suspect further changes to ships times and routes will be made further on down the line.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paully said:

Seems strange that Bretagne is not returning until mid September, presumably in the present climate, to be withdrawn after a relatively short period of time. Doesnt seem to make sense. I suspect further changes to ships times and routes will be made further on down the line.

I'm sure you're right there will be further changes. From postings on this site you don't have to look very far to see there are clearly some people desperate to get away. Unfortunately for BF it seems to be the same small group, hardly enough to filll a rowing boat let alone a large ferry.

24 minutes ago, David Williams said:

PA had a decent amount of passengers to Spain this week

I don't doubt that for one moment David. The question is are there enough to keep all the existing BF fleet in operation any time soon. Looking at the figures released today regarding food exports certainly the freight side of the operation must be suffering as well. On the plus side BF do appear to be looking at other revenue streams with the Cherbourg rail link and the ground effect craft being discussed on another thread.

• Like 1