News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

Gareth

Posted (edited)

This might need another thread to discuss it. Can any French residents on here say how well other companies IT systems work, all of the functions mentioned above are expected on Websites over here is it different in France?  Just wondered if BF's is a blip or is it the standard expected.

Edited by Solo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This evenings Portsmouth to St Malo sailing is cancelled due to technical issues.

Source - Twitter plus confirmation in Sailing updates which now seems to be 'live'

Only problems with sailing updates are:-

• English site only shows UK departures , need to go into other sites to see the returns.
  • Sailings that have departed show as cancelled
  • You need to look up each route separately.

However, a great improvement on the old one for information.

On 13/09/2021 at 12:29, David Williams said:

Only problems with sailing updates are:-

• English site only shows UK departures , need to go into other sites to see the returns.
  • Sailings that have departed show as cancelled
  • You need to look up each route separately.

However, a great improvement on the old one for information.

How do they flag a delayed arrival post departure, say due to weather, medical emergency or "technical issues" which could  even possibly entail a diversion to Brest?

"Cancelled" could imply a subsequent follow on effect with the scheduled return sailing. Seems almost as confusing a message as the old "Sailing full"

Why can't it be truly live like the airlines - Departed xx.xxhrs  "on time" or delayed xx mins,  Arrival now xx.xx hrs. Even First Great Western can manage this if I am due to pick up Mrs C from Bodmin Parkway.

I guess they will just have to rely on Plymouth Live giving the news first 😁

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, David Williams said:

There is mention on Twitter of a short dockers strike at Ouistreham yesterday.

We seem to be getting back to normal !

I think it was so short that even the dockers didn't notice as there seems to be nothing in the press. Was it perhaps linked to yesterday's logistic announcement?

Ed

6 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

French website has no sailing updates for Irish crossings at all. Pointed this out to BF on Twitter and got a thank you with promise of it being remedied. We'll see.

I am confused by your tweets as you refer to a  Saturday crossing to Cork, Isn’t it a Friday crossing ?

Yes apologies for that. BF didn't query it but obviously knew what I meant. Seems this year's timetable doesn't allow early boarding as previous years which is a shame as Friday is my birthday and we were looking forward to a meal in La Flora, but not getting aboard until gone 2100 is a bit late.

I am booked to go on the PA to St Malo in February...I see its St Malo rotations start in November.

What's the reckoning that these will happen, or will I get moved onto Armorique, or St Malo be dropped totally over the winter and be passed to the Caen route?

Thanks

1 minute ago, jamess said:

I am booked to go on the PA to St Malo in February...I see its St Malo rotations start in November.

What's the reckoning that these will happen, or will I get moved onto Armorique, or St Malo be dropped totally over the winter and be passed to the Caen route?

Thanks

Amorique is only lightly scheduled in the winter and only the Normandie from the Caen route seems to be getting maintenance in the spring with Barfleur covering her. I suspect that we will know by the end of the month whether St Malo will be closed for the winter or not and that will depend on booking levels.

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

Amorique is only lightly scheduled in the winter and only the Normandie from the Caen route seems to be getting maintenance in the spring with Barfleur covering her. I suspect that we will know by the end of the month whether St Malo will be closed for the winter or not and that will depend on booking levels.

do i read that as it being more likely that we will be on Armorique than Pont Aven then?

Mrs James has offered to pay for the full restaurant dinner and I may well be disappointed!

19 minutes ago, jamess said:

do i read that as it being more likely that we will be on Armorique than Pont Aven then?

Mrs James has offered to pay for the full restaurant dinner and I may well be disappointed!

I don’t think that anyone knows at the moment, my guess is that it would either be Pont Aven or nothing ( I would have thought nothing as this year is worse than last year ). 
It is not clear what is being planned for Amorique this winter.

However the St Malo plans should become clearer by the end of September.

Edited by David Williams