News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

Gareth

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It would mean diverting staff from Roscoff and they are all on furlough right now. 

Ed

True.  And, actually, looking at the map, Cherbourg’s probably equally (in)convenient for onward travel to Spain compared with Brest.

Two other factors spring to mind - one is that, whilst Brest is ok for unloading after a diversion, it’s not really set up to handle embarkation for a departure, and they will be thinking about the northbound sailing too.

The other is that conditions may already be such as to make the approaches and entry into Brest more challenging.

Plus it's not quite as simple as just rocking up (literally), unloading, reloading and off you go. With all the current Covid restrictions and the considerable amount of time and effort checking for those who don't have a valid ticket to travel, Cherbourg has the staff, facilities and proper processes to handle such a situation. Brest doesn't.....

Chris

• Like 4

Totally off topic but just spotted MV Drotten (DFDS) hurtling past Cherbourg at a consistent 28 knots in the direction of Dunkirk - that's quick (and expensive). Thinking about it though it's just past full moon so there's probably a strong spring tide behind her but impressive all the same...

Chris

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Totally off topic but just spotted MV Drotten (DFDS) hurtling past Cherbourg at a consistent 28 knots in the direction of Dunkirk - that's quick (and expensive). Thinking about it though it's just past full moon so there's probably a strong spring tide behind her but impressive all the same...

Chris

Yes, spring tide in full flood could well be contributing to 3 or 4 of those knots when going past Cherbourg.  Strong wind behind her too.

• Like 1

My youngest daughter is really pleased as they appear to have named this latest storm after her. She has promised to turn her bedroom upside-down in sympathy with those affected in the south of France. Ed

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

My youngest daughter is really pleased as they appear to have named this latest storm after her. She has promised to turn her bedroom upside-down in sympathy with those affected in the south of France. Ed

You`re lucky you havent got boys...the bedroom would then represent a more permanent memorial 🤣

• Haha 2

Participants in the Vendée Globe race heading in towards the bay of Biscay were advised by the race committee to consider staying south of the area till this storm passes. My friend Maxime Sorel took a very deep breath, pulled out all the stops and just made it to les sables d'Olonne in time. Armel Tripon is doing runs up and down west of Portugal till conditions allow him to progress safely. Bear in mind that all these boats have just raced single handed round the world, all the boats have taken a severe battering and been held together by epoxy and tenacity, and the skippers are totally knackered ....

Been marvelous to follow. Fantastic finish, closest on record. One sudden sinking and rescue in horrid conditions in the Indian ocean, several retirements when things broke big time. St Malo and Brittany sailors have shone.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, colin said:

Participants in the Vendée Globe race heading in towards the bay of Biscay were advised by the race committee to consider staying south of the area till this storm passes. My friend Maxime Sorel took a very deep breath, pulled out all the stops and just made it to les sables d'Olonne in time. Armel Tripon is doing runs up and down west of Portugal till conditions allow him to progress safely. Bear in mind that all these boats have just raced single handed round the world, all the boats have taken a severe battering and been held together by epoxy and tenacity, and the skippers are totally knackered ....

Been marvelous to follow. Fantastic finish, closest on record. One sudden sinking and rescue in horrid conditions in the Indian ocean, several retirements when things broke big time. St Malo and Brittany sailors have shone.

I worked for Simpson-Lawrence for 8 years and we were sponsors of Vendee Globe.

• Like 1

i see that Galicia is still on berth in Santander due to weather and on AIS she is giving a ETA of 10am on Monday morning into Portsmouth.

So Night sailing on Sunday night to Cherbourg will no doubt leave Portsmouth sometime Monday afternoon and back on track from Cherbourg Monday night.

3 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

So Night sailing on Sunday night to Cherbourg will no doubt leave Portsmouth sometime Monday afternoon and back on track from Cherbourg Monday night.

Indeed; timetable is now showing that sailing as departing Portsmouth at 1200 on Monday, arriving into Cherbourg at 1730.

Not exactly a "sailing" update, but I noticed this morning that Barfleur made a little tour in Caen harbour, and is now berthed back, but opposite way...  Anyone knows the reason of this movement?

I'm driving over Calix bridge (just above Barfleur berth) twice a day, and I cannot remember seeing her changing place since she arrived.

Attached is a picture of her this evening.

IMG_20210203_170728_resize_83.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dogan said:

Not exactly a "sailing" update, but I noticed this morning that Barfleur made a little tour in Caen harbour, and is now berthed back, but opposite way...  Anyone knows the reason of this movement?

I'm driving over Calix bridge (just above Barfleur berth) twice a day, and I cannot remember seeing her changing place since she arrived.

Attached is a picture of her this evening.

IMG_20210203_170728_resize_83.jpg

She was probably listing due to all the moss accumulating on one side and they just want to even things up. 😉

Ed

• Haha 5

Without wishing to mess up Ed’s moss theory, it’s probably because they are giving the old girl a lick of paint prior to the new season ( she looks pretty good in that picture) and will do one side at a time from the shore. Whenever Normandie or MSM have their arrêt technique in Cherbourg the same happens, 2 weeks port side 2 weeks starboard side.

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

Without wishing to mess up Ed’s moss theory, it’s probably because they are giving the old girl a lick of paint prior to the new season ( she looks pretty good in that picture) and will do one side at a time from the shore. Whenever Normandie or MSM have their arrêt technique in Cherbourg the same happens, 2 weeks port side 2 weeks starboard side.

Chris

More importantly you’ve got the LSA; lifeboats, rafts and the FRC to check and lower to the water periodically.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

That's the one, it's when she received the new livery.

Photos thanks to Jose Luis Diaz Campa

79541595_1395505350617608_9094791161372999680_o.jpg

Paint those bridge windows back dark again - still hate that white.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Thanks Tony.  Not an entire surprise!

I suspect there is a slight alignment issue with where they’ve put Portsmouth-Santander, in that I assume that is meant to align with Galicia rather than Cotentin.  Ditto with Rosslare-Cherbourg, which is presumably meant to align with Connemara rather than Armorique.

Points of interest - confirms move of Cotentin to Le Havre is still planned (at which point Poole-Cherbourg will then be suspended?).  And Armorique remains in a freight-only role but not confirmed which route(s).