News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

The weather is really bad down west at the moment, I don't know if any should be at sea at the moment but none of the ferries between France and Ireland appear to be at sea at the moment.  The ships anchored off Falmouth are all on the move at the moment and nearly all ships heading west in the Channel have reduced speed, it's not nice out there.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CAP FINISTERE in Le Havre tonight (from Southampton's quay) : 

Pictures of the day 😉 View from the SS FRANCE :    

Posted Images

Current shipping forecast for Wight/Portland (Cotentin’s area of operation) is S 5-7.

(Worse further west, with Plymouth on F8-9 gale warnings, but that’s not really relevant to Cotentin).

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Current shipping forecast for Wight/Portland (Cotentin’s area of operation) is S 5-7.

(Worse further west, with Plymouth on F8-9 gale warnings, but that’s not really relevant to Cotentin).

The wind direction may be in play, with a strong southerly making the Poole entrance challenging?

11 minutes ago, colin said:

The wind direction may be in play, with a strong southerly making the Poole entrance challenging?

Indeed, quite possibly.  And reinforced by intel we are receiving that Pelican is diverting to Portsmouth tomorrow.

• Shocked 1
49 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Indeed, quite possibly.  And reinforced by intel we are receiving that Pelican is diverting to Portsmouth tomorrow.

Yes Poole is diverting to Portsmouth.  ETA I have is 0930.

20/2/21 1600 Poole - Bilbao cancelled

22/2/21 1400 Bilbao - Poole cancelled

Next sailing is 22/2/21 1600 Poole - Bilbao.

16 hours ago, Khaines said:

It is quite blustery down here and the wind really does whistle around Poole Harbour so not surprised.  I went down the seafront earlier today in Bournemouth and it is indeed a bit on the windy side!!

Cotentin is quite high sided as well, could figure that in?

She pulled off the berth then went back alongside. Strong southerlys so pushing her back onto the berth again. Was a nice swell in the bay on pilot boat we got a battering again, roll on spring! 😁

Edited by DorsetWillsy
Spelling!
  • Thanks 1

I keep wondering why the weather forecasts show springlike temperatures, when it feels around 8 degrees lower than what they are saying it is.  Feels like 6 degrees here on south coast so no idea where all that warmth is supposed to be!!

Just seen Pelican on the webcam passing Fort Blockhouse, Scotsman on the bow and Yorkshireman on the stern...Very lightly loaded on the top deck, no more than half a dozen trailers in sight.

It appears that the reason for MN Pelican being diverted to Portsmouth is due to Cotentin taking up the berth and her sailing cancelled. I've been informed that today's 16:00 sailing has now been rescheduled, not cancelled and will depart Poole on Monday PM (TBC).

45 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

It appears that the reason for MN Pelican being diverted to Portsmouth is due to Cotentin taking up the berth and her sailing cancelled. I've been informed that today's 16:00 sailing has now been rescheduled, not cancelled and will depart Poole on Monday PM (TBC).

Departing Portsmouth for Poole at 1900 tomorrow, I understand.

Slightly semantic as to whether the sailing is “cancelled” or “re-arranged”.  If Saturday’s is “rearranged” to Monday, then Tuesday’s departure will be “cancelled”.  Either way, she will clearly need to miss one round trip.

24 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Departing Portsmouth for Poole at 1900 tomorrow, I understand.

Galicia, Mont St Michel & Etretat all in tomorrow, they will have to get MN Pelican out by 19:00, even if it's just to anchor.

47 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Slightly semantic as to whether the sailing is “cancelled” or “re-arranged”

It probably means something to those with trailers that have been booked on today's crossing & maybe sitting in Poole at the moment. I imagine that it means that those trailers are automatically on the Monday sailing without any new paperwork!

23 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Galicia, Mont St Michel & Etretat all in tomorrow, they will have to get MN Pelican out by 19:00, even if it's just to anchor.

Yes, well it’s Etretat that will need the berth, and she’s not due in until 2130.  Pelican will be long-gone by then.

Just now, David Williams said:

It probably means something to those with trailers that have been booked on today's crossing & maybe sitting in Poole at the moment. I imagine that it means that those trailers are automatically on the Monday sailing without any new paperwork!

Indeed.  Semantics, but for a reason!  I would imagine traffic booked on the “cancelled” Tuesday evening sailing will be given the option of transferring to a “new” sailing on Monday.

• Like 1

Sorry I messed up/didn't read properly what I was sent (blame a few Friday beers :-p)

Though it's all semantics really.

22/2/21 Bilbao - Poole cancelled.

20/2/21 and 23/2/21 Poole - Bilbao merged into 22/2/21 sailing at 1600.

• Like 1

For info - the March pdf freight timetables have been published.  According to them, the Le Havre sailings are suspended from March 22 after Etretat finishes.  There is no continuation of Armorique’s peculiar Rosslare/Cork-St Malo/Roscoff sailings.  Armorique is, however, showing as entering service between Plymouth and Roscoff as scheduled, at the end of the month.  May be that they are still deciding how to deploy her.

Meanwhile, Armorique’s Roscoff-Cork-Roscoff round trip yesterday and today has been cancelled due to weather.  She’s not having a good time of it on this sailing pattern so far - just the first week with a full run through of the schedule.

CONNEMARA's Rosslare - Cherbourg roundtrip Monday/Tuesday was also cancelled.

To be fair, others seem to have been very disrupted too.  DFDS departed Rosslare about 12 hours late this morning with last night's DROTTEN sailing and KERRY appears to be running about 8/9 hours late. 

All of this is a reminder why the landbridge has always been the favoured route for Irish traffic.

Meanwhile, moves seem to be afoot regarding confirming scheduling for Portsmouth - Le Havre and Poole - Cherbourg.

As we know, the BARFLEUR's return to service is now delayed until mid-May, meanwhile COTENTIN has been stated as the Portsmouth - Le Havre ship when ETRETAT leaves.

COTENTIN's last sailing on Cherbourg - Poole is listed as the 1815 on 2 April , it was previously 4 April.  She is then listed as operating Le Havre - Portsmouth on 3 April.

The ETRETAT is scheduled to operate her last Portsmouth - Le Havre sailing on 21 March, leaving a gap to be filled (that was due to have been done by BARFLEUR) 

Clearly a ship will need to be reactivated to fill this gap or the ETRETAT retained for an extra 12 days or so.