News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

54 minutes ago, David Williams said:

seems to be a pretty slow manual process, I imagine that the availability will be set to 0 over the next day or so, the crossings won't actually disappear until at least a week after ticket holders have been told of the options.

I really hope that BF have improved their helpdesk systems.

Most booking systems do require a lot of effort to deal with this.

In reality, I would imagine you'd need to have your head pretty deeply in the ground to be booking anything for the next few months without decent checks in advance right now.  

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 2
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"A refusal or a failure to understand" I feel applies less to BF than to some of us. Which of us has the Covid crystal ball? Blooming sure BF want services running on the very first possible day, but

CAP FINISTERE in Le Havre tonight (from Southampton's quay) : 

Pictures of the day 😉 View from the SS FRANCE :    

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, PGTV said:

Or am I getting too far ahead of myself 

Probably.  It’s mildly interesting that Plymouth is the only BF port not currently in some sort of operation.  But it is also worth remembering that BF has never, yet, in its entire history pulled out of one of its ports completely.  They’ve closed routes, but never dropped a port from their portfolio.

If they did decide to break that trend, then surely there would be other ports ahead of Plymouth that would be more likely.  (But I won’t suggest any in the interest of forum sanity!) 🤣

• Like 1

Regarding Plymouth...we should note that the ARMORIQUE's use is not declared beyond the indication that she will be used so conceivably one possibility is that she will be back on Plymouth - Roscoff / Roscoff - Cork as planned.

Same as NORMANDIE EXPRESS.  There might be no mention of her but she wouldn't be starting before May anyhow.

2 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

Regarding Plymouth...we should note that the ARMORIQUE's use is not declared beyond the indication that she will be used so conceivably one possibility is that she will be back on Plymouth - Roscoff / Roscoff - Cork as planned.

Same as NORMANDIE EXPRESS.  There might be no mention of her but she wouldn't be starting before May anyhow.

I really can't see NEX restarting this year, it will need the other ships to be pretty full and social distancing relaxed first .

Re Plymouth, I can't see it restarting until passengers return & even then will be a seasonal route. It is clear from previous CEO Messages that BF will not intentionally run routes (or services) at a loss.

BBC spotlight (local news) just did an article about BF (Plymouth). I quote “80% of Plymouth is passengers, 20% freight. If we (BF) cannot take passengers this summer, then it will put us in a difficult position and we have no choice but to take drastic action”. 

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

I really can't see NEX restarting this year, it will need the other ships to be pretty full and social distancing relaxed first .

NEX doesn't led herself to social distancing (one might as well be on a plane). Had our holiday in France gone ahead last summer, we had planned to change our return crossing from NEX to Ouistreham so that we could escape into a cabin.

She ought to be lent to Condor so they can have a three HSC service later on in the year to help with spreading people out.  Not doing her much good  being where she is for another year, ought to find another interim one for her elsewhere.  

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Khaines said:

She ought to be lent to Condor so they can have a three HSC service later on in the year to help with spreading people out.  Not doing her much good  being where she is for another year, ought to find another interim one for her elsewhere.  

Wont do her much harm either, aluminium doesn't rust and as she runs on standard diesel fuel she can be re commissioned far quicker than the conventional ferries.

Give her a deep clean and kick her tyres and she'll be raring to go.

Travelling on Cote D'albatre last July there were no cabins available just the general public Pullman & café seating with strategically placed large 'X' markings to offer a degree of self distancing & permanent mask wearing. Shop opened for a short period and cooked food was on offer too. The atmosphere was very relaxed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jonno said:

Wont do her much harm either, aluminium doesn't rust and as she runs on standard diesel fuel she can be re commissioned far quicker than the conventional ferries.

so what extra steps have to be taken to re-commission conventional ferries after they've been tied up jonno?

17 hours ago, David Williams said:

Re Plymouth, I can't see it restarting until passengers return & even then will be a seasonal route. It is clear from previous CEO Messages that BF will not intentionally run routes (or services) at a loss.

Not looking good for my Plymouth - Santander booking on 12th May then!

2 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

Meanwhile noise pollution from the BARFLEUR at her Caen lay up is annoying local residents.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/caen-14000/caen-le-barfleur-a-perturbe-les-nuits-des-riverains-du-canal-7157969?

She usually gets grief in Poole because what comes out of her funnels at start up.  Eco campaigners often moan.  But they are duly ignored, the same people who moan about anything they see as polluting. 

• Like 1

Brittany Ferries Freight timetables are now updated to show a 16 May return for PONT-AVEN and 17 May return for BRETAGNE, BARFLEUR and CAP FINISTERE.

ARMORIQUE remains unchanged from before - clearly pending decisions on her use.

20 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

Brittany Ferries Freight timetables are now updated to show a 16 May return for PONT-AVEN and 17 May return for BRETAGNE, BARFLEUR and CAP FINISTERE.

ARMORIQUE remains unchanged from before - clearly pending decisions on her use.

Updated timetables still do not show Cotentin in the Le Havre schedules.  The Barfleur fortnight has, however (and as expected) been removed.  Poole-Cherbourg timetables also still show Cotentin finishing there as previously scheduled, on 3 April.

So, currently no Poole-Cherbourg route after 3 April, and no Portsmouth-Le Havre route after 21 March.  I wonder if both of these routes are in the mix for both Armorique and Cotentin deployment?  Or whether the government contracts have now expired and therefore no obligation to run them?

• Thanks 1

Due to poor weather...

18/2/21 - ARMORIQUE Rosslare - St Malo - cancelled.

19/2/21 - ARMORIQUE St Malo - Cork - cancelled.

18/2/21 - CONNEMARA Bilbao - Rosslare - cancelled

19/2/21 - CONNEMARA Rosslare - Bilbao - cancelled.

41 minutes ago, Khaines said:

She usually gets grief in Poole because what comes out of her funnels at start up.  Eco campaigners often moan.  But they are duly ignored, the same people who moan about anything they see as polluting. 

If they were to lower her, say 20 metres, down into the canal perhaps the water would provide good sound insulation. 

Ed

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Updated timetables still do not show Cotentin in the Le Havre schedules.  The Barfleur fortnight has, however (and as expected) been removed.  Poole-Cherbourg timetables also still show Cotentin finishing there as previously scheduled, on 3 April.

So, currently no Poole-Cherbourg route after 3 April, and no Portsmouth-Le Havre route after 21 March.  I wonder if both of these routes are in the mix for both Armorique and Cotentin deployment?  Or whether the government contracts have now expired and therefore no obligation to run them?

Press release was pretty clear that COTENTIN was going on to Portsmouth - Le Havre.  I suspect there are a few details being ironed out around that "overlap period" of ETRETAT being due to finish and when COTENTIN was originally due to move over (previously being done by BARFLEUR).  I suspect that's why the timetable hasn't been updated.

I think we can safely say ARMORIQUE will be sailing to Brittany - whether it is the current freight only timetable, the current scheduled timetable or some mix of both.

Poole - Cherbourg Dft Brexit capacity is 3 months, Le Havre is 6 months.

I included a few details in my report that weren't in the press release but were verified with BF

https://www.niferry.co.uk/covid-travel-restrictions-force-brittany-ferries-to-extend-ferry-cancellations/

Ok, thanks Rick.  In other words, Cotentin can move to Le Havre and not be replaced at Poole, because the Poole contract will have expired.

I wonder if they will just use Armorique to plug the gap at Le Havre.  Taking her off the Brittany routes probably won’t be a big deal for a fortnight - and they could even take the opportunity to try out a Rosslare-Le Havre trip in each direction as she repositions.

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Ok, thanks Rick.  In other words, Cotentin can move to Le Havre and not be replaced at Poole, because the Poole contract will have expired.

I wonder if they will just use Armorique to plug the gap at Le Havre.  Taking her off the Brittany routes probably won’t be a big deal for a fortnight - and they could even take the opportunity to try out a Rosslare-Le Havre trip in each direction as she repositions.

All possible I guess!  And yes Poole - Cherbourg is suspended until BARLFEUR eventually returns to service.