News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

You'd assume that BF would try to extend Etretat? Otherwise would it be the Cap on a last in first out basis? Presumably the most practical in terms of capacity to reactivate if need be too. Alternatively..what are Normandie's loadings like? If it's quiet she could cover for a bit...

Edited by Tumnus2010
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CAP FINISTERE in Le Havre tonight (from Southampton's quay) : 

Pictures of the day 😉 View from the SS FRANCE :    

Posted Images

Just now, Tumnus2010 said:

You'd assume that BF would try to extend Etretat? Otherwise would it be the Cap on a last in first out basis? Presumably the most practical in terms of capacity to reactivate of need be too. Alternatively..what are Normandie's loadings like? If it's quiet she could cover for a bit...

The most obvious answer is indeed to extend the ETRETAT.  Given the use of wage support schemes, cost of reactivating a ship etc, it is probably the easiest and most cost effective solution.

4 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

The most obvious answer is indeed to extend the ETRETAT.  Given the use of wage support schemes, cost of reactivating a ship etc, it is probably the easiest and most cost effective solution.

When do Etretat’s onward commitments start?  Is there not a dry docking or a handover back to owners booked?

7 minutes ago, Gareth said:

When do Etretat’s onward commitments start?  Is there not a dry docking or a handover back to owners booked?

Her future is unconfirmed though believed to be Stena Line's Liepaja - Travemunde route.  As she is likely replacing the URD or STENA GOTHICA, provided Stena Group are internally ok with a short delay on her return, I can't see any reason for a problem with a short extension of her charter.  

GALICIA will operate the Portsmouth - Bilbao route for the first time tomorrow.

Tomorrow (Thursday) her 2215 Portsmouth - Santander sailing will sail to Bilbao instead, arriving 0800 Saturday. She will return from Bilbao at 1500 on 27 February, arriving Portsmouth 2000 on Sunday.

The diversion is to allow the GALICIA to carry out ramp trials at Bilbao.
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

Strange.  Are “ramp trials” different from berthing trials?  She already carried out berthing trials there before she entered service.

1 hour ago, RickOShea said:

Didn't she call into Bilbao as part of her initial berthing trials, after Plymouth?

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Strange.  Are “ramp trials” different from berthing trials?  She already carried out berthing trials there before she entered service.

That's the explanation.....

• Confused 1
11 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

I guess there may be explanations why additional trials might be needed.

I have a vague memory that, when she trialled in Bilbao before her handover, she only did so bow-in.  Given that subsequently they decided to berth Galicia stern-in in Spain, maybe they want to give her a stern-in berthing trial therefore?  She also only trialled at one of the two linkspans; maybe they want to trial at the other one?

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

I have a vague memory that, when she trialled in Bilbao before her handover, she only did so bow-in.  Given that subsequently they decided to berth Galicia stern-in in Spain, maybe they want to give her a stern-in berthing trial therefore?  She also only trialled at one of the two linkspans; maybe they want to trial at the other one?

All possible.  We also don't know how the berthing trials went and the route is receiving its own E-Flexer in the not too distant future so they may be looking at what modifications are required.  

6 hours ago, RickOShea said:

Meanwhile, moves seem to be afoot regarding confirming scheduling for Portsmouth - Le Havre and Poole - Cherbourg.

As we know, the BARFLEUR's return to service is now delayed until mid-May, meanwhile COTENTIN has been stated as the Portsmouth - Le Havre ship when ETRETAT leaves.

COTENTIN's last sailing on Cherbourg - Poole is listed as the 1815 on 2 April , it was previously 4 April.  She is then listed as operating Le Havre - Portsmouth on 3 April.

The ETRETAT is scheduled to operate her last Portsmouth - Le Havre sailing on 21 March, leaving a gap to be filled (that was due to have been done by BARFLEUR) 

Clearly a ship will need to be reactivated to fill this gap or the ETRETAT retained for an extra 12 days or so.

And the answer is now revealed - ETRETAT will stay on Le Havre route until 2 April.  Clearly a short charter extension.

11 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I wonder if Cotentin’s Poole - Le Havre sailing will be open to freight custom.

I guess there is no reason not to offer it...just have to wait and see.   That would be a first though?

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, RickOShea said:

That would be a first though?

Yes, for Poole-Le Havre specifically I think it would be.

BF does have precedent in opening up one-off positioning voyages for commercial booking, however.  Even to passengers back in normal times.  For example, when Armorique did a Plymouth-Ouistreham positioning voyage once, it was open to booking.  I’m sure there have been other examples, but that’s the one that springs to mind.

I agree, there’s no reason for BF not to offer commercial space on Cotentin’s Poole-Le Havre sailing.  Will be interesting to see whether they do.

Back to Etretat - the timetables show her last sailing as a Portsmouth-Cherbourg overnight sailing on 2 April - so she’s finishing in Cherbourg, to de-store, on 3 April.

No Portsmouth-Le Havre sailing on 2 April, therefore - but presumably the government contract is fulfilled either by virtue of just the northbound sailing or because the Cherbourg sailing counts.

Le Havre resumes, in the hands of Cotentin, on 3 April.  (The northbound sailing is a little late that day, so I suspect the Portsmouth departure will be in the early hours of 4th April).

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Yes, for Poole-Le Havre specifically I think it would be.

BF does have precedent in opening up one-off positioning voyages for commercial booking, however.  Even to passengers back in normal times.  For example, when Armorique did a Plymouth-Ouistreham positioning voyage once, it was open to booking.  I’m sure there have been other examples, but that’s the one that springs to mind.

I agree, there’s no reason for BF not to offer commercial space on Cotentin’s Poole-Le Havre sailing.  Will be interesting to see whether they do.

It's happening on 3 April as you guessed. Departing Poole at 0830, arriving Le Havre at 1600.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Back to Etretat - the timetables show her last sailing as a Portsmouth-Cherbourg overnight sailing on 2 April - so she’s finishing in Cherbourg, to de-store, on 3 April.

No Portsmouth-Le Havre sailing on 2 April, therefore - but presumably the government contract is fulfilled either by virtue of just the northbound sailing or because the Cherbourg sailing counts.

There is a sailing missing from the published timetable I believe.  Last sailing is Portsmouth - Le Havre on 2 April.

21 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

There is a sailing missing from the published timetable I believe.  Last sailing is Portsmouth - Le Havre on 2 April.

Well, which ship is doing it then?  It isn’t Etretat, because Etretat is in the timetables as sailing to Cherbourg.

348D19BE-4A59-4A0A-9C48-083F8B782765.png

31 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I note one of the old routings Portsmouth Le Havre Rosslare, maybe that will return some day.

Yes, when Norman Voyager was first introduced, it was as second ship (to Norman Spirit) on the Le Havre route.  She use to do 3 round trips per week to Portsmouth, sailing overnight from Le Havre and by day from Portsmouth.  In between, she did 2 round trips per week from Rosslare to Le Havre.

The latter route did not last long - LD soon discovered why ICL had pulled out of Le Havre all those years ago, to focus all their sailings on Cherbourg.  Norman Voyager soon followed in that wake, with the tie-up with Celtic Ferries and rotating between Portsmouth-Cherbourg and Rosslare-Cherbourg.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Yes, when Norman Voyager was first introduced, it was as second ship (to Norman Spirit) on the Le Havre route.  She use to do 3 round trips per week to Portsmouth, sailing overnight from Le Havre and by day from Portsmouth.  In between, she did 2 round trips per week from Rosslare to Le Havre.

The latter route did not last long - LD soon discovered why ICL had pulled out of Le Havre all those years ago, to focus all their sailings on Cherbourg.  Norman Voyager soon followed in that wake, with the tie-up with Celtic Ferries and rotating between Portsmouth-Cherbourg and Rosslare-Cherbourg.

As we know (some of us more than others :-p) many changes happened at LD Lines over time.

But I think this is the original NORMAN VOYAGER schedule.

New Route
Le Havre-Rosslare
  Depart Arrival
Le Havre 23:59 (Friday) 21:30 (Saturday)
Rosslare 01:00 (Sunday) 22:00 (Sunday)
Additional
Portsmouth-Le Havre Sailings
Portsmouth - Le Havre (Tuesday-Friday)
Le Havre - Portsmouth (Monday-Thursday)
  Depart Arrival
Portsmouth 12:00 18:30
Le Havre 23:00 06:15

Of course the NORMAN VOYAGER arrived as the crash happened and she was basically a flop as a second ship on Le Havre.  

The plan was to do Rosslare - Cherbourg 3 times per week from autumn 2009.  (I still have a pen that promotes that) but in the end a deal was reached to instead charter the ship to Celtic Link.   She had been due to operate the same schedule as the DIPLOMAT.  (And yes - looking back on my records from the time, freight customers wanted Cherbourg rather than Le Havre).

• Like 3

Odd; I don’t remember a timetable resembling that schedule at all.  I remember watching NV arriving back in Le Havre at the end of her first trip to Rosslare, and it was something like 7pm (give or take an hour).

Maybe that was a prototype, but I’m pretty sure it never actually happened that way.

56 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Odd; I don’t remember a timetable resembling that schedule at all.  I remember watching NV arriving back in Le Havre at the end of her first trip to Rosslare, and it was something like 7pm (give or take an hour).

Maybe that was a prototype, but I’m pretty sure it never actually happened that way.

I think....and I can't find anything in my archive to back this up...the schedule above was how it started but changed at some point.