News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If they were to lower her, say 20 metres, down into the canal perhaps the water would provide good sound insulation. 

Ed

Better still park her in Poole Bay, she can join the cruise ships..😉

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"A refusal or a failure to understand" I feel applies less to BF than to some of us. Which of us has the Covid crystal ball? Blooming sure BF want services running on the very first possible day, but

CAP FINISTERE in Le Havre tonight (from Southampton's quay) : 

Pictures of the day 😉 View from the SS FRANCE :    

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Or give her a run up to Le Havre..Plenty of space and no annoying neighbours either🤣

• Like 1

Send Barfy down the River Aire to us in Leeds and we can make her a tourist attraction alongside the lighthouse that's being oddly planned for the city as part of the "capital of culture but not allowed to be called European Capital of culture due to Brexit" celebrations in 2023 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, RickOShea said:

Meanwhile noise pollution from the BARFLEUR at her Caen lay up is annoying local residents.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/caen-14000/caen-le-barfleur-a-perturbe-les-nuits-des-riverains-du-canal-7157969?

Can only be the generators, I don't think any main engines will be running. Besides, the nearest residential properties don't seem that close.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
1 hour ago, Khaines said:

I had to go to Ikea in Glasgow this morning for a click and collect order and saw the 3 Azamara cruise ships which are docked on the Clyde. They really dominate the whole area.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, elaine80 said:

I had to go to Ikea in Glasgow this morning for a click and collect order and saw the 3 Azamara cruise ships which are docked on the Clyde. They really dominate the whole area.

They really are something to be up close to.  We have Anthem of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas at the moment down in Poole Bay.  Weymouth Bay had another collection down there.  Great to have them up close.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

COTENTIN has been cancelled today and tomorrow due to poor weather.

19/2/21 0830 Poole - Cherbourg

19/2/21 1815 Cherbourg - Poole

20/2/21 0830 Poole - Cherbourg

20/2/21 1815 Cherbourg - Poole

Strange, I note that Pelican is currently on it’s way back to Poole & that Cherbourg is open. When Barfleur was cancelled regularly there were comments re weak bow thrusters, does the Contentin have a weakness ?

28 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Strange

Not really.  Like I said, it's hardly ever just about weather.  As you say, if it was, then all the ferries operating in the arena would be stopping.  Very occasionally that is indeed the case, but conditions have to get up to force 10 or Force 11 for weather to be the only factor at play.  I'm not saying it's dishonest for the companies to attribute the cancellation to "weather", because that is indeed a factor in the equation.  (Along with other factors....like loadings, for example).  I'm not aware that Cotentin is afflicted by the same peculiar bow thruster power issue that bedevils Barfleur.

It is quite blustery down here and the wind really does whistle around Poole Harbour so not surprised.  I went down the seafront earlier today in Bournemouth and it is indeed a bit on the windy side!!

Cotentin is quite high sided as well, could figure that in?

Edited by Khaines
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Not really.  Like I said, it's hardly ever just about weather.  As you say, if it was, then all the ferries operating in the arena would be stopping.  Very occasionally that is indeed the case, but conditions have to get up to force 10 or Force 11 for weather to be the only factor at play.  I'm not saying it's dishonest for the companies to attribute the cancellation to "weather", because that is indeed a factor in the equation.  (Along with other factors....like loadings, for example).  I'm not aware that Cotentin is afflicted by the same peculiar bow thruster power issue that bedevils Barfleur.

I get where you are coming run but remember the nature of the COTENTIN's operation at the moment - it does not make sense to cancel unless you have no choice.

The weather is really bad down west at the moment, I don't know if any should be at sea at the moment but none of the ferries between France and Ireland appear to be at sea at the moment.  The ships anchored off Falmouth are all on the move at the moment and nearly all ships heading west in the Channel have reduced speed, it's not nice out there.

Current shipping forecast for Wight/Portland (Cotentin’s area of operation) is S 5-7.

(Worse further west, with Plymouth on F8-9 gale warnings, but that’s not really relevant to Cotentin).

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Current shipping forecast for Wight/Portland (Cotentin’s area of operation) is S 5-7.

(Worse further west, with Plymouth on F8-9 gale warnings, but that’s not really relevant to Cotentin).

The wind direction may be in play, with a strong southerly making the Poole entrance challenging?

11 minutes ago, colin said:

The wind direction may be in play, with a strong southerly making the Poole entrance challenging?

Indeed, quite possibly.  And reinforced by intel we are receiving that Pelican is diverting to Portsmouth tomorrow.

• Shocked 1
49 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Indeed, quite possibly.  And reinforced by intel we are receiving that Pelican is diverting to Portsmouth tomorrow.

Yes Poole is diverting to Portsmouth.  ETA I have is 0930.

20/2/21 1600 Poole - Bilbao cancelled

22/2/21 1400 Bilbao - Poole cancelled

Next sailing is 22/2/21 1600 Poole - Bilbao.

16 hours ago, Khaines said:

It is quite blustery down here and the wind really does whistle around Poole Harbour so not surprised.  I went down the seafront earlier today in Bournemouth and it is indeed a bit on the windy side!!

Cotentin is quite high sided as well, could figure that in?

She pulled off the berth then went back alongside. Strong southerlys so pushing her back onto the berth again. Was a nice swell in the bay on pilot boat we got a battering again, roll on spring! 😁

Edited by DorsetWillsy
Spelling!
  • Thanks 1

I keep wondering why the weather forecasts show springlike temperatures, when it feels around 8 degrees lower than what they are saying it is.  Feels like 6 degrees here on south coast so no idea where all that warmth is supposed to be!!

Just seen Pelican on the webcam passing Fort Blockhouse, Scotsman on the bow and Yorkshireman on the stern...Very lightly loaded on the top deck, no more than half a dozen trailers in sight.

It appears that the reason for MN Pelican being diverted to Portsmouth is due to Cotentin taking up the berth and her sailing cancelled. I've been informed that today's 16:00 sailing has now been rescheduled, not cancelled and will depart Poole on Monday PM (TBC).

45 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

It appears that the reason for MN Pelican being diverted to Portsmouth is due to Cotentin taking up the berth and her sailing cancelled. I've been informed that today's 16:00 sailing has now been rescheduled, not cancelled and will depart Poole on Monday PM (TBC).

Departing Portsmouth for Poole at 1900 tomorrow, I understand.

Slightly semantic as to whether the sailing is “cancelled” or “re-arranged”.  If Saturday’s is “rearranged” to Monday, then Tuesday’s departure will be “cancelled”.  Either way, she will clearly need to miss one round trip.

24 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Departing Portsmouth for Poole at 1900 tomorrow, I understand.

Galicia, Mont St Michel & Etretat all in tomorrow, they will have to get MN Pelican out by 19:00, even if it's just to anchor.