News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

As expected COTENTIN is now shown (on BF Freight website) as operating Portsmouth - Le Havre from 3 April until the end of the current timetable period (31 October).  Let's see if she starts carrying passengers at some stage.

Edited by RickOShea
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CAP FINISTERE in Le Havre tonight (from Southampton's quay) : 

Pictures of the day 😉 View from the SS FRANCE :    

Posted Images

One other bit of schedule news.

I believe that the ARMORIQUE will continue on her current Irish freight-only sailings until 16 May.  She will then restart Roscoff - Plymouth as part of the big passenger re-start.

23 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

One other bit of schedule news.

I believe that the ARMORIQUE will continue on her current Irish freight-only sailings until 16 May.  She will then restart Roscoff - Plymouth as part of the big passenger re-start.

Indeed

20 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

What about us smaller passengers? 

Ed

You'll have to wear high heels or take the tunnel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, the Plymouth-Roscoff sailings that had remained in the schedules for Armorique from the end of March have now disappeared.  Armorique is now showing as resuming on Plymouth-Roscoff at the same time as the rest of the passenger start-up in May.

• Like 1
On 05/03/2021 at 17:53, Gareth said:

Yes, the Plymouth-Roscoff sailings that had remained in the schedules for Armorique from the end of March have now disappeared.  Armorique is now showing as resuming on Plymouth-Roscoff at the same time as the rest of the passenger start-up in May.

They are still showing in the PDF timetable but not on the main timetables online which is a bit strange.

i do not understand why she would be doing the route just for a few days.

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I note on one of Tony’s tweets that the Etretat has gained a red funnel, when did that happen ?

Sounds like another AF to me!

In which case I wonder if it’s to do with the delay in leaving the BF fleet and a need to get her ready for whatever her new role is in short order.

A topical issue to raise, because tomorrow is her last day on the Portsmouth-Le Havre route.  Her departure from Portsmouth tomorrow evening takes her to Cherbourg, where she will de-store.  Cotentin has a one-off Poole-Le Havre sailing scheduled for Saturday morning, from which she will take up her service on the Le Havre route with a later-than-normal late afternoon (1800) first departure.

I will be sad to see the Etretat go, I have had a number of pleasant nights sleeping in it over the years, I even used it in Norman Voyager days. 
My wife will not be sad to see it go, she hated the ramp ( both up and down !)

Etretat’s just left Le Havre for the last time.

Cotentin will be leaving Cherbourg for the last time on this stint on the Poole route in about half an hour.

With the suspension of Poole-Cherbourg, and light loadings on the Rosslare-Brittany routes, Armorique’s pre-passenger-start-up freight schedule is being modified this month. The France-Rosslare round trip is being dropped in favour of a weekly St Malo - Poole rotation.

The new schedule is as follows:

Mon Roscoff - Cork

Tues Cork - St Malo

Weds St Malo - Poole

Thus Poole - St Malo

Fri St Malo - Cork

Sat Cork - Roscoff

Sun Layover in Roscoff

• Like 3

Worth adding to my previous post that the schedule has Armorique arriving at Poole at 0730 on Thursdays, and departing again at 2200.  So she should be in the port all day.  It’s not a day when Pelican is due in port, so I suspect she will just stay on the berth through the day.

9 hours ago, Gareth said:

Worth adding to my previous post that the schedule has Armorique arriving at Poole at 0730 on Thursdays, and departing again at 2200.  So she should be in the port all day.  It’s not a day when Pelican is due in port, so I suspect she will just stay on the berth through the day.

Gonna be a bit difficult to get pics of her, would have to get to Sandbanks at 06.00.  She will be tucked away at the berth otherwise.  Port is being used as a vaccination centre so not sure of access.

I’ll ponder, might be a job for the fjb webcam..🤣

Edited by Khaines

Interesting.  Cotentin’s AIS seems to imply she is crossing to Cherbourg first today.  I had been of the understanding that she was sailing direct to Le Havre.  The ETA (1500) is a lot later than she would normally arrive at Cherbourg, though - and also a lot later than would be needed if she was going to then get to Le Havre in ballast in time for her 1800 departure to Portsmouth.  I guess the Cherbourg destination in her AIS must be a mistake.

She’s clearly heading straight to Le Havre.

Will be interesting to see what berthing mode is chosen for her on the Le Havre route.  General preference of most skippers of ferries that have used the current berth at Le Havre is that they seem to prefer to reverse up the Bassin de la Manche going in rather than down it when coming out, and hence opt for a stern-in berthing at Le Havre.  This is what the P&O Olaus did, and as well as Norman Spirit and the Caen pair that year they diverted to Le Havre.  On the other hand, when Armorique covered the route she went bow-in at Le Havre.

14 minutes ago, Gareth said:

She’s clearly heading straight to Le Havre.

Will be interesting to see what berthing mode is chosen for her on the Le Havre route.  General preference of most skippers of ferries that have used the current berth at Le Havre is that they seem to prefer to reverse up the Bassin de la Manche going in rather than down it when coming out, and hence opt for a stern-in berthing at Le Havre.  This is what the P&O Olaus did, and as well as Norman Spirit and the Caen pair that year they diverted to Le Havre.  On the other hand, when Armorique covered the route she went bow-in at Le Havre.

for the first time since P&O, we will be able to use the terminal's two loading bridges

Edited by LHCity
2 minutes ago, LHCity said:

for the first time since P&O, we will be able to use the terminal's two loading bridges

Didn't Armorique use them previously as Gareth stated above?

Ed

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

Didn't Armorique use them previously as Gareth stated above?

Ed

Likely, considering they're the same ships. Armorique did not come often in commercial service.

Armorique, Normandie and MSM have all used them.  As LHC says, not often - I think Armorique spent about a month on the route, and the Caen pair only visited about half a dozen times each.

(Of course, whether they are used this time will depend on whether there is enough freight to require use of the upper deck.  I have no idea how heavily loaded these government-contracted sailings are).