News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

11 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I wonder if Cotentin’s Poole - Le Havre sailing will be open to freight custom.

I guess there is no reason not to offer it...just have to wait and see.   That would be a first though?

• Haha 1
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CAP FINISTERE in Le Havre tonight (from Southampton's quay) : 

Pictures of the day 😉 View from the SS FRANCE :    

Armorique  coming into Poole, courtesy of the fjb webcam.  Seen two bods down at the Haven taking pics...😁

Posted Images

15 hours ago, RickOShea said:

That would be a first though?

Yes, for Poole-Le Havre specifically I think it would be.

BF does have precedent in opening up one-off positioning voyages for commercial booking, however.  Even to passengers back in normal times.  For example, when Armorique did a Plymouth-Ouistreham positioning voyage once, it was open to booking.  I’m sure there have been other examples, but that’s the one that springs to mind.

I agree, there’s no reason for BF not to offer commercial space on Cotentin’s Poole-Le Havre sailing.  Will be interesting to see whether they do.

Back to Etretat - the timetables show her last sailing as a Portsmouth-Cherbourg overnight sailing on 2 April - so she’s finishing in Cherbourg, to de-store, on 3 April.

No Portsmouth-Le Havre sailing on 2 April, therefore - but presumably the government contract is fulfilled either by virtue of just the northbound sailing or because the Cherbourg sailing counts.

Le Havre resumes, in the hands of Cotentin, on 3 April.  (The northbound sailing is a little late that day, so I suspect the Portsmouth departure will be in the early hours of 4th April).

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Yes, for Poole-Le Havre specifically I think it would be.

BF does have precedent in opening up one-off positioning voyages for commercial booking, however.  Even to passengers back in normal times.  For example, when Armorique did a Plymouth-Ouistreham positioning voyage once, it was open to booking.  I’m sure there have been other examples, but that’s the one that springs to mind.

I agree, there’s no reason for BF not to offer commercial space on Cotentin’s Poole-Le Havre sailing.  Will be interesting to see whether they do.

It's happening on 3 April as you guessed. Departing Poole at 0830, arriving Le Havre at 1600.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Back to Etretat - the timetables show her last sailing as a Portsmouth-Cherbourg overnight sailing on 2 April - so she’s finishing in Cherbourg, to de-store, on 3 April.

No Portsmouth-Le Havre sailing on 2 April, therefore - but presumably the government contract is fulfilled either by virtue of just the northbound sailing or because the Cherbourg sailing counts.

There is a sailing missing from the published timetable I believe.  Last sailing is Portsmouth - Le Havre on 2 April.

21 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

There is a sailing missing from the published timetable I believe.  Last sailing is Portsmouth - Le Havre on 2 April.

Well, which ship is doing it then?  It isn’t Etretat, because Etretat is in the timetables as sailing to Cherbourg.

348D19BE-4A59-4A0A-9C48-083F8B782765.png

31 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I note one of the old routings Portsmouth Le Havre Rosslare, maybe that will return some day.

Yes, when Norman Voyager was first introduced, it was as second ship (to Norman Spirit) on the Le Havre route.  She use to do 3 round trips per week to Portsmouth, sailing overnight from Le Havre and by day from Portsmouth.  In between, she did 2 round trips per week from Rosslare to Le Havre.

The latter route did not last long - LD soon discovered why ICL had pulled out of Le Havre all those years ago, to focus all their sailings on Cherbourg.  Norman Voyager soon followed in that wake, with the tie-up with Celtic Ferries and rotating between Portsmouth-Cherbourg and Rosslare-Cherbourg.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Yes, when Norman Voyager was first introduced, it was as second ship (to Norman Spirit) on the Le Havre route.  She use to do 3 round trips per week to Portsmouth, sailing overnight from Le Havre and by day from Portsmouth.  In between, she did 2 round trips per week from Rosslare to Le Havre.

The latter route did not last long - LD soon discovered why ICL had pulled out of Le Havre all those years ago, to focus all their sailings on Cherbourg.  Norman Voyager soon followed in that wake, with the tie-up with Celtic Ferries and rotating between Portsmouth-Cherbourg and Rosslare-Cherbourg.

As we know (some of us more than others :-p) many changes happened at LD Lines over time.

But I think this is the original NORMAN VOYAGER schedule.

New Route
Le Havre-Rosslare
  Depart Arrival
Le Havre 23:59 (Friday) 21:30 (Saturday)
Rosslare 01:00 (Sunday) 22:00 (Sunday)
Additional
Portsmouth-Le Havre Sailings
Portsmouth - Le Havre (Tuesday-Friday)
Le Havre - Portsmouth (Monday-Thursday)
  Depart Arrival
Portsmouth 12:00 18:30
Le Havre 23:00 06:15

Of course the NORMAN VOYAGER arrived as the crash happened and she was basically a flop as a second ship on Le Havre.  

The plan was to do Rosslare - Cherbourg 3 times per week from autumn 2009.  (I still have a pen that promotes that) but in the end a deal was reached to instead charter the ship to Celtic Link.   She had been due to operate the same schedule as the DIPLOMAT.  (And yes - looking back on my records from the time, freight customers wanted Cherbourg rather than Le Havre).

• Like 3

Odd; I don’t remember a timetable resembling that schedule at all.  I remember watching NV arriving back in Le Havre at the end of her first trip to Rosslare, and it was something like 7pm (give or take an hour).

Maybe that was a prototype, but I’m pretty sure it never actually happened that way.

56 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Odd; I don’t remember a timetable resembling that schedule at all.  I remember watching NV arriving back in Le Havre at the end of her first trip to Rosslare, and it was something like 7pm (give or take an hour).

Maybe that was a prototype, but I’m pretty sure it never actually happened that way.

I think....and I can't find anything in my archive to back this up...the schedule above was how it started but changed at some point.

As expected COTENTIN is now shown (on BF Freight website) as operating Portsmouth - Le Havre from 3 April until the end of the current timetable period (31 October).  Let's see if she starts carrying passengers at some stage.

Edited by RickOShea

One other bit of schedule news.

I believe that the ARMORIQUE will continue on her current Irish freight-only sailings until 16 May.  She will then restart Roscoff - Plymouth as part of the big passenger re-start.

23 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

One other bit of schedule news.

I believe that the ARMORIQUE will continue on her current Irish freight-only sailings until 16 May.  She will then restart Roscoff - Plymouth as part of the big passenger re-start.

Indeed

20 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

What about us smaller passengers? 

Ed

You'll have to wear high heels or take the tunnel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, the Plymouth-Roscoff sailings that had remained in the schedules for Armorique from the end of March have now disappeared.  Armorique is now showing as resuming on Plymouth-Roscoff at the same time as the rest of the passenger start-up in May.

• Like 1
On 05/03/2021 at 17:53, Gareth said:

Yes, the Plymouth-Roscoff sailings that had remained in the schedules for Armorique from the end of March have now disappeared.  Armorique is now showing as resuming on Plymouth-Roscoff at the same time as the rest of the passenger start-up in May.

They are still showing in the PDF timetable but not on the main timetables online which is a bit strange.

i do not understand why she would be doing the route just for a few days.

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I note on one of Tony’s tweets that the Etretat has gained a red funnel, when did that happen ?

Sounds like another AF to me!

In which case I wonder if it’s to do with the delay in leaving the BF fleet and a need to get her ready for whatever her new role is in short order.

A topical issue to raise, because tomorrow is her last day on the Portsmouth-Le Havre route.  Her departure from Portsmouth tomorrow evening takes her to Cherbourg, where she will de-store.  Cotentin has a one-off Poole-Le Havre sailing scheduled for Saturday morning, from which she will take up her service on the Le Havre route with a later-than-normal late afternoon (1800) first departure.

I will be sad to see the Etretat go, I have had a number of pleasant nights sleeping in it over the years, I even used it in Norman Voyager days. 
My wife will not be sad to see it go, she hated the ramp ( both up and down !)