News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News

Gareth

6 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Turned around - although she’s done this before.  I just got messaged by someone that she’s moved.  Maybe just a regular turn?

9585C077-3F48-445D-9BAF-6AB443BA4446.jpeg

Probably the wind.

Ed

Posted (edited)

Surprise Surprise

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-forced-to-delay-return-to-full-service/

Brittany Ferries has confirmed that it will not resume its full sailing schedule on 17th May as it had originally planned. The decision comes following changes to international travel rules, and in particular clarification of the UK government’s traffic light framework.

Normal sailings are now scheduled to resume on 6th June, however the situation will be continuously reviewed. The company says it is hopeful that France and Spain will be re-allocated to the green list shortly, thanks to falling Covid cases and rapidly rising vaccination rates.

As a result of this decision the following sailings will now not operate from 17th May until 6th June:

• Armorique Plymouth/Roscoff & Roscoff/Cork (passenger sailings)
  • Barfleur Poole/Cherbourg
  • Bretagne Portsmouth/St Malo
  • Cap Finistère Portsmouth/Bilbao
  • Pont-Aven Plymouth/Roscoff, Plymouth/Santander & Roscoff/Cork
  • Normandie Portsmouth/Caen (passenger sailings)

Despite this the company will continue to operate a number of core services from 17th May until 6th June for those passengers who are still able to travel – for example for essential travel reasons – and for the carriage of freight. These routes and sailings are as follows:

• Armorique Roscoff/Cork & Cork/St Malo, Poole/St Malo (freight only)
  • Connemara Rosslare/Bilbao & Rosslare/Cherbourg
  • Cotentin Portsmouth/Le Havre (freight only)
  • Galicia Portsmouth/Santander & Portsmouth/Cherbourg
  • Mont St Michel Portsmouth/Caen
  • Normandie Portsmouth/Caen (freight only)
  • Pelican Poole/Bilbao (freight only)

ps, however CF still seems to be going to Spain

Edited by David Williams

So is CF going back into Service on May 17th as she is still showing on the Freight timetables as doing Bilbao-Portsmouth from May 17th.

Just thought on maybe that is why she is on her way down to Spain at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Armourique, there has been comment about her operating a round trip weekly to Poole, this does not appear in any timetables but she is certainly crossing to Poole. However, each time she's berthed at Poole a bunkering vessel appears from Solent Bunkering, is this the main reason for the trip across?

21 minutes ago, Barry Thomas said:

Armourique, there has been comment about her operating a round trip weekly to Poole, this does not appear in any timetables but she is certainly crossing to Poole. However, each time she's berthed at Poole a bunkering vessel appears from Solent Bunkering, is this the main reason for the trip across?

Is this not a freight-only route and therefore published in the freight timetables?

Ed

37 minutes ago, Barry Thomas said:

I would agree if it was actually shown; hence my previous comment regarding the web-site..............

Well she is due to operate Roscoff to Cork this evening so perhaps they are adding some unlisted freight sailings to and from Poole each weekend to satisfy demand.

Ed

Both her Poole-St Malo and Cork-St Malo sailings are temporary arrangements until the passenger schedules start up again.  They are in the pdf timetables that are downloadable from the freight site, but BF will not have gone to the trouble of creating them as “routes” in the main website timetable infrastructure.

Barf will probably take over if she is hauled out of Caen next month, I wonder if she will end up doing something different from plodding her normal route?  She could end up doing Portsmouth calls as well.

On 22/05/2021 at 14:46, Cabin-boy said:

Is this not a freight-only route and therefore published in the freight timetables?

Ed

We bunkered her last week and she was pretty full from what I saw, plenty of lorries coming off.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, seadog said:

We bunkered her last week and she was pretty full from what I saw, plenty of lorries coming off.

In Poole?  That’s good to hear.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

BF seem to have pushed the restart in France back to 28 June.

Bretagne, Barfleur , Amorique & CF seem to restart schedule on 28 June.

PA restarts on 6 June

Normandie allowing cars from 21 June

Ps this is based on them being ‘Sailing Full’

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I suspect this new quarantine will be a temporary measure for 4 weeks to try and stop the variant. In all reality we must be close to herd immunity now so the variant spread in the UK will be limited. France will likely do what they did back in March (11th?) where they just suddenly lifted restrictions because the Kent variant had by then become the dominant variant in France so continued restrictions were not necessary.

It is all getting quite tiresome now isn't it?

• Like 2

Just now, SRN4 said:

I suspect this new quarantine will be a temporary measure for 4 weeks to try and stop the variant. In all reality we must be close to herd immunity now so the variant spread in the UK will be limited. France will likely do what they did back in March (11th?) where they just suddenly lifted restrictions because the Kent variant had by then become the dominant variant in France so continued restrictions were not necessary.

It is all getting quite tiresome now isn't it?

Indeed..far too tiresome and uncertain to plan anything involving France for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2

In all reality we must be close to herd immunity now

Not unless you vaccinate all the kids who will oftherwise constitute a reservoir for reinfection for a very long time yet plus the overall takeup in the adult population is nowhere near the level it needs to be, hence the urgency to improve vaccination in the 'hot spots'.

No two countries have handled the pandemic in the same way, the've all done their own thing so they are now out of step with each other and are responding to their own priorites whinch inevitably often conflict with those of other nations. Even in the UK the member countries were determined to do their own thing for various reasons (often political) and look at just how complicated things have got in the UK alone!

• Like 3

Sailing update, he also has a go at the UK Government !

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus/ceo-message

Dear customers, friends and colleagues,

Earlier this week I expressed my hope that Spain would be added to the green list following the UK government’s first review of the traffic light system, expected next week. You may recall that Covid-19 cases in Spain have fallen to their lowest level since August last year. The vaccination campaign continues apace and, since Monday, Spain has welcomed UK visitors without any need for a PCR test.

That’s the good news. However, yesterday I’m afraid we received some bad news from France. British visitors will be required to quarantine upon arrival for (we believe) 7 days for an unspecified duration.

We have to respect the decision of French government, but it is an enormously frustrating development. The fact that counterparts in UK failed to add India to the red list immediately, as the catastrophic health crisis in that country was unfolding, is a mystery to me.

Despite very real progress on vaccination in the UK and suppression of the virus, this failure has needlessly and negligently left the door open to a new danger. France has acted on the basis of Covid transmission hotspots that are emerging throughout the UK which it sees as a threat.

So while we are planning to increase services to Spain, as I mentioned on Monday, I’m afraid that we have been forced to take difficult decisions on services to France. These will, once again, affect many thousands of travellers’ plans for which I apologise in advance.

Starting with the good news: in addition to Portsmouth - Santander sailings on board Galicia, I am delighted to confirm that Pont-Aven will re-start services from Plymouth to Santander. The first departure leaves on 6th June 2021. Two weekly return-crossings will take place.

I know how much this service means to the south west of England and their counterparts in northern Spain. When Ireland opens its borders, we will once again consider the Roscoff-Cork leg of our flagship vessel’s normal workload.

However, cross-Channel services connecting the UK and France on Armorique (Plymouth-Roscoff) and Normandie (Portsmouth-Caen) will not be carrying passengers until at least 20th June 2021. Furthermore services for Barfleur (Poole-Cherbourg), Bretagne (Portsmouth-St Malo), and Cap Finistère have been cancelled until at least 27th June 2021.

Whilst I appreciate that any cancellation will cause inconvenience and disappointment, I hope the details in this link bring clarity:

• Like 2