Jump to content
News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2021 Latest News


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Gareth said:

For those of you who, unlike Ed 😉😁, are interested in these things, Cotentin is berthing bow-in at PIP3.

I'm not disinterested but until you are able to precede the announcement with a virtual drum-roll I might find it difficult to show the appropriate level of enthusiasm. 😃 Anyway, keep up the good work! 

Ed

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CAP FINISTERE in Le Havre tonight (from Southampton's quay) : 

Pictures of the day 😉 View from the SS FRANCE :    

Armorique  coming into Poole, courtesy of the fjb webcam.  Seen two bods down at the Haven taking pics...😁

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Gareth said:

No, stern in everywhere for several years now.  She stopped berthing bow in at Santander when the wider linkspan was installed.  Stayed stern-in throughout when she deputised for Connemara at Rosslare too.  I think it’s because her bow access is far too narrow compared with her stern.

Everything is stern in at Rosslare. You're probably right about CF, we haven't sailed on her to or from Santander for a while now, we favoured the Saturday am departure on BDS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lampypete said:

Cotentin currently rumbling into PiP, louder than Etretat! 

She does rumble - heard her from Bournemouth Pier once, never hear Barfleur or any other ship do this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just occurred to me, I wonder why they don’t squeeze in a Poole-Cherbourg round trip out of Armorique, instead of her sitting in Poole for 15 hours while the Cherbourg route is suspended (?).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Just occurred to me, I wonder why they don’t squeeze in a Poole-Cherbourg round trip out of Armorique, instead of her sitting in Poole for 15 hours while the Cherbourg route is suspended (?).

Maybe at the time she would be in Cherbourg the port is already full of other ships and there is no spare linkspan available.

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Maybe at the time she would be in Cherbourg the port is already full of other ships and there is no spare linkspan available.

Ed

Plenty of availability - the normal Poole berth (berth 2) is currently disused.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Just occurred to me, I wonder why they don’t squeeze in a Poole-Cherbourg round trip out of Armorique, instead of her sitting in Poole for 15 hours while the Cherbourg route is suspended (?).

I think the purpose of these rotations is to support Brittany as a region.

 

Also I'm not sure there is much benefit in squeezing in sailings (and their running costs) when Portsmouth - Caen is still a viable option that's not too far out the way for haulers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope in better times can take a trip on her again on one of her stand ins for Barfleur.  (Which I suppose she technically is doing now as Barf is somewhat unavailable) Hopefully better times ahead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scarlton said:

I think the purpose of these rotations is to support Brittany as a region.

Yes, I agree.  It’s just that the suspension of Poole-Cherbourg was not in the original plan, and there is an obvious opportunity to reinstate the route on one day per week without having to activate Barfleur.  It was just a thought, and I’m sure BF would have done it if the custom had been there.  Clearly, it isn’t.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David Williams said:

It really is about time that BF announces the May cancellations, I just hope they don't announce on a Friday evening and then go home ! - They have done that before.

They are already supposed to be at home. And if they aren't they should be. 😀

Ee

Edited by Cabin-boy
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David Williams said:

The UK call centre is in the UK !

Ah. I was thinking of the IT team who would be putting the information online. I assumed they would be in France but maybe not. 

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cabin-boy said:

Ah. I was thinking of the IT team who would be putting the information online. I assumed they would be in France but maybe not. 

Ed

Who knows where the IT team come from, however they don't stay around to answer the phones !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m afraid I am a bit cynical about all this, probably because of my experiences with BF last year (that will linger long in my memory).  My view is that they have known for a long time that sailings are not going to run, but they continue to market them with the sole purpose of taking people’s cash so that they can keep it and then issue credit notes.  To that end, they will delay announcing cancellations for as long as possible and then announce them at the most inconvenient time for people to request refunds.

I’m sorry I feel that way, but I’m afraid the history of last year (together with some very revealing comments about the mindset of the company in the media by Roue) point inescapably to that being the case.  In his own words, BF does not exist to provide a service to customers, it exists to provide employment to French seafarers.

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

continue to market them with the sole purpose of taking people’s cash so that they can keep it and then issue credit notes

That is so last year !

Since late summer they have been better - they give you a week to move to another crossing (that is why the sailing stays in the schedule for a week or so), after the week (or so) they give you a repayment automatically.

The only slight sting is that if you paid with a credit note, you will get a credit note back as repayment is always back to the method of payment.

When my Easter outbound was cancelled I got a combination of a credit card refund plus a £10 voucher reinstated.

ps and I also got the inbound refunded even though the sailing was still in the schedule (MSM)

pps and the inbound was on a different ticket

Edited by David Williams
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, David Williams said:

That is so last year !

Ok, well it sounds like there has been progress on their refusal to give refunds then.  But even if the mechanics have changed, the principle hasn’t - they are taking payment for sailings they know are not going to run in order to boost their cashflow.  They know there will be some refund demands, but also that they can meet them out of other bookings for later sailings.   But it is still not in their cashflow interest to announce sailings as cancelled before they have to, and they will continue taking bookings for them until that moment comes.  It’s a desperate cycle they have got themselves into, and I’m afraid integrity towards customers is taking second place to the need to pay the bills at the moment.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paully said:

More Gerald Ratner😁

As long as it doesn't turn into a William 'D-Fens' Foster situation then the people of Roscoff can sleep safe in their beds. 🤣

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Ok, well it sounds like there has been progress on their refusal to give refunds then.  But even if the mechanics have changed, the principle hasn’t - they are taking payment for sailings they know are not going to run in order to boost their cashflow.  They know there will be some refund demands, but also that they can meet them out of other bookings for later sailings.   But it is still not in their cashflow interest to announce sailings as cancelled before they have to, and they will continue taking bookings for them until that moment comes.  It’s a desperate cycle they have got themselves into, and I’m afraid integrity towards customers is taking second place to the need to pay the bills at the moment.

 

Do you really think that any one will book a crossing in May now, unless they really need to get to France.  It doesn't take much to realise what's going on in France for the next couple of months.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...