Vaccinations

Apparently Quantas are going to change their rules so that only those who have been vaccinated can travel.  Wonder if this will be likewise for all airlines plus cruise and ferry travel.  Also, unless you get some kind of card given you that is stamped, how can you prove you have been jabbed.  I am having the jab when allowed but will probably upset a lot of the anti vaxxers!!

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/qantas-only-accept-passengers-had-151705037.html

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This may be of interest to some. Dad had his vaccination last Friday. Mum went with him and asked if it was possible for her to be done as well. No problem both done at the same time which makes

There is a joke doing the rounds on social media here in France that the best way to persuade the French population to get vaccinated is to tell them that everyone else in the world has it but that th

Good news today. We are now vaccinating more rapidly than the virus is spreading. Those in groups 3 and 4 should to get their vaccine this week and a few hospitals will begin offering a 24/7 serv

Posted Images

It will quickly become compulsory to board any train/boat or plane.. equally be required for check in to any hotel or accommodation anywhere in the world..

Forcing this issue forces the vaccinations..win win for Governments..like you I'll do it in order to get back to some sort of life, but can't say I view it with any sort of joy

• Like 1

I suspect the proof of vaccination will be linked to the NHS app and the default will be that you have it on your phone to show anyone who wants proof. Maybe there will be an option to print it out like the system with the passenger locator forms currently. For sure it will be required for overseas travel ultimately.

I think many of the people being branded "anti-vaxxers" are just people with concerns about a vaccine that has been brought out so quickly, seems reasonable to have such concerns. Anyway, I don't think anyone is likely to be upset with your own personal decision about having the vaccine, that's your business and no-one else's  🙂

• Like 1

I don`t think it will be the app..The Government have contracted the security systems printers De La Rue to provide certificates complete with security hollograms and watermarks. I wonder if these will have sufficent details on to enable travel on them, as well as passports, such will be the security of the document. As always time will tell but I would expect them to be rolled out fairly soon next year.

Any attempt to introduce a paper based system would be immediately undermined by forgeries. Quite possibly there would be ways of subverting electronic systems as well plus not everyone has a smartphone.

A logical place to store the information would be on the passport system to which immigration authoritie have access but this would be a huge job plus just adding it once won't be enough if regular booster shots are required.

Surely the only hard evidence of fitness to travel that would work would be reliable 'instant' tests at the point of boarding and maybe arrival but these would need to be better than those we have today.

With regards to the De La Rue initiative, again the certificates might only have limited validity if boosters are needed. Plus if every country does it's own thing regarding 'certificates' (with differing degrees of reliability) it will be a nightmare for airports as you can bet you will need a certificate to get on the plane and it will need to be accepted at the other end when you get off. (same applies to ferries of course)

And as for those who have not been vaccinated for one reason or another, it will be a complete quagmire in balancing the rights of the individual against the safety of the population at large.

Just imagine, come next Easter, all us oldies have been jabbed and merrily jet off to Spain, Greece and all points warmer (if they'll have us) but younger people with families may be confined to the UK until late summer or beyond.

This one will run and run...

Edited by cvabishop

When you think about it, it’s a bit like humans having to have a Pet Passport.

On a sort of much, much larger scale and one requiring a much higher degree of security. A letter from your Vet (sorry, GP) won't hack it.

Whatever form it takes it needs to be universally recognised and accepted. That's a big ask. The nearest we have to that at the moment is human passports.

Edited by cvabishop

Can't I get it on a sugar lump? George Orwell wrote that we are all terrified of something. For me it is hypodermics! Bizarre seeing how often I have been stabbed in the last few years. Only passed out once, at the lab, when the technician had to fill more than 20 of those nasty little vials. He was brilliant. I lasted till he finished, then disconnected when he turned away. Came too to discover he had raised the leg supports and sides of the chair. We smiled at each other, exchanged a few words, then I took another short break.

When my doc says the vaccine is ready and good for me, I will look away so that I can't see the syringe...

I will look away so that I can't see the syringe...

Try doing that during a course of eye injections as I have been having all year! Actually they don't bother me very much now, much better than the dentist. I do get the impression from the medical staff that other patients don't quite see it in the same way though...😲

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

The nearest we have to that at the moment is human passports.

Unless they make passports obligatory for people then they will have to find some way to resolve the problem of French travellers (and other EU nations) who only have ID cards. Plus what happens to the Schengen open borders system? How about under-skin microchips for everyone like for pets?

Ed

How about under-skin microchips for everyone like for pets?

The anti vaxxers are gonna love that...

Leaving aside the Schengen issue, passports are already obligatory for international travel. Schengen may no longer be viable if EU countries want to maintain control of their own borders for pandemic purposes. Rock and a hard place.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

The anti vaxxers are gonna love that...

Leaving aside the Schengen issue, passports are already obligatory for international travel. Schengen may no longer be viable if EU countries want to maintain control of their own borders for pandemic purposes. Rock and a hard place.

I'm meeting a group of doctors in about 10 minutes so will ask them how they see the problem being solved.

Ed

In China they are proposing everyone is given a centrally linked QR code which will contain vaccination information as well as other "necessary health data'. President Xi Jinping said "We need to further harmonise policies and standards and establish 'fast tracks' to facilitate the orderly flow of people".

Privacy rights campaigns are obviously having kittens over this.

QR code tattoos anyone?

How many countries will refuse uk tourists where they can’t prove they have had a a COVID vaccination? And will the UK allow non vaccinated individuals to leave the UK on holiday days n the first place? 

Well quite, but the issue is just what  constitutes  acceptable proof and how can you verify it?

2 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Well quite, but the issue is just what  constitutes  acceptable proof and how can you verify it?

This will soon be irrelevant as an issue, however I understand that the World Health Organisation were thinking about it - they are responsible for the Yellow Fever Certificate and that is just paper.

• Like 1

One doctor has a yellow vaccination card for his professional inoculations including yellow fever but that's obviously open to fraud. Certificates could be issued but again there is a risk of counterfeiting. Passports could have the information added to the chip but that would then require doctors and hospitals to have the appropriate equipment to update them. The concensus seemed to be a system linked to your individual social security account which would generate a unique time-limited code for each trip (a bit like the DVLA codes for car rentals). This numerical code (with a QR code probably) when presented in conjunction with a passport or ID card would be required by hotels and transport operators at check-in and could be checked or scanned depending on the equipment available. 

Ed

46 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Our local daily paper headlined today that vaccination centres  in Nottingham will be ready by December 1st, and supplies of the Pfizer vaccine will arrive on 9th.  Source attributed to Nottingham CCG.  Sounds good .........

Well, I hope that the process is up to it with 3 different vaccines, 1 with 2 different dosages. I imagine that the second shot must be the same type !

• Like 1

Just been reading an article in one of the Sunday Papers (behind the usual paywall) but states that Government and Airlines current thinking is for a stamp of some sort being placed in your passport, to confirm you have been vaccinated. Johnson did mention the Pet Passport scheme.Obviously the exact type and security are still being worked on (cue De La Rue)  but the Airlines, all over the world, are very keen indeed to get their industry back up. 

It may well boil down to different lines at various ports of disembarkation.........Clean and Unclean😁.......or something like that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1