Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have always done a basic shop in Tesco at Port Solent so that we at least have food for the first morning in the campsite (if we crossed on the 08.15 to Ouistreham, we didn't get to the campsite until 20.30 so had nothing for breakfast). When we crossed in 2018, we were on the overnight to Ouistreham and were due on site in time for the communal Sunday lunch barbecue so I picked up food for that before we boarded. Friends used to take their food for the fortnight with them (they are vegetarian so a lot of it was long-life. For me, the big attraction of self-catering in France is exploring the supermarkets and markets and experimenting with different foods.

One year, when the kids were quite young, we took supplies of Cathedral City Mature Cheddar and other staples with us in case the kids wouldn't eat local foods. In the end, the Cathedral City wasn't opened and I didn't want to carry it back to Scotland, so we made ourselves very popular with the students who had been employed on-site for the summer to run the kids clubs etc and who were craving some British food.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bob, er... I don't mean to pry but.... how do you know what the inside of a golf ball tastes like, was it a college or Uni initiation type of thing?

Poor snail! 😁

A friend and I cut one open with a hacksaw once and small bits of elastic flew in all directions. In the middle was a small ball of very dense rubber which fell out of the shell and bounced around the

19 hours ago, elaine80 said:

I have always done a basic shop in Tesco at Port Solent so that we at least have food for the first morning in the campsite (if we crossed on the 08.15 to Ouistreham, we didn't get to the campsite until 20.30 so had nothing for breakfast). When we crossed in 2018, we were on the overnight to Ouistreham and were due on site in time for the communal Sunday lunch barbecue so I picked up food for that before we boarded. Friends used to take their food for the fortnight with them (they are vegetarian so a lot of it was long-life. For me, the big attraction of self-catering in France is exploring the supermarkets and markets and experimenting with different foods.

One year, when the kids were quite young, we took supplies of Cathedral City Mature Cheddar and other staples with us in case the kids wouldn't eat local foods. In the end, the Cathedral City wasn't opened and I didn't want to carry it back to Scotland, so we made ourselves very popular with the students who had been employed on-site for the summer to run the kids clubs etc and who were craving some British food.

The Carrefour and Lidl are easy enough to access just off the ferry, plenty of quality fresh produce and all of the other usual suspects. The Carrefour also had an English section and kids can spend a bit of time looking at the live lobsters swimming around next to the fish counter.

On the E46 out of Caen on the way to Bayeux, come off at the first roundabout, left & first right down to the end (couple of minutes) there's an excellent fresh fruit and veg supermarket, Grand Frais Carpiquet, top boulangerie too.

Half decent site in Isigny by the canal/river well worth a stopover.

https://www.grandfrais.com/magasins/carpiquet

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Carrefour’s English section in Cherbourg - made me realise what it was like to be in someone else’s country and see a few shelves with British stuff on it.  Bit like a few years ago when supermarkets often had small spaces for Eastern European stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Susan Boyle is responsible for what UK food our Super U stocks .... Well, she is a dead ringer for her! Nice woman but not very imaginative. The French can be tempted by lots of UK products and not just baked beans, Coleman's mustard and wine gums ...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jonno said:

The Carrefour and Lidl are easy enough to access just off the ferry, plenty of quality fresh produce and all of the other usual suspects. The Carrefour also had an English section and kids can spend a bit of time looking at the live lobsters swimming around next to the fish counter.

On the E46 out of Caen on the way to Bayeux, come off at the first roundabout, left & first right down to the end (couple of minutes) there's an excellent fresh fruit and veg supermarket, Grand Frais Carpiquet, top boulangerie too.

Half decent site in Isigny by the canal/river well worth a stopover.

https://www.grandfrais.com/magasins/carpiquet

Thanks. Coming off the overnight ferry, everything is shut. One year we stopped at the Hyper-U at Challans just before we got to our campsite but it's often a toss-up between getting there before reception shuts for lunch or stopping for food, leaving us sitting in the car for a couple of hours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colin said:

Susan Boyle is responsible for what UK food our Super U stocks .... Well, she is a dead ringer for her! Nice woman but not very imaginative. The French can be tempted by lots of UK products and not just baked beans, Coleman's mustard and wine gums ...

I avoid the UK aisle in Super U in St Gilles Croix de Vie. I don't go to France to eat the same food I eat at home.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, elaine80 said:

I avoid the UK aisle in Super U in St Gilles Croix de Vie. I don't go to France to eat the same food I eat at home.

A few British people living over here frequent that section, along with some curious French, but it appeals mostly to summer tourists from north of the ditch.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, colin said:

 but it appeals mostly to summer tourists from north of the ditch.

No I can`t understand it either Colin...it would be the aisle we would avoid. Buying local, wherever we are, is part of the fun surely.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paully said:

No I can`t understand it either Colin...it would be the aisle we would avoid. Buying local, wherever we are, is part of the fun surely.

You are part of the enlightened minority.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Paully said:

No I can`t understand it either Colin...it would be the aisle we would avoid. Buying local, wherever we are, is part of the fun surely.

Good!  More wine gums and teabags for me. Although I wouldn't bother going to Vendee to get them. 😉

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Good!  More wine gums and teabags for me. Although I wouldn't bother going to Vendee to get them. 😉

Ed

I`ve told you your Teabags will have to be Yorkshire and I`ll put wine gums on the smugglers list...On the subject of French food, which has nothing to do with Cotentin, anyone know the name of the large lettuce, resembling a green mop head, sold in supermarkets..absolutely gorgeous they are. I`ve forgotten

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Paully said:

I`ve told you your Teabags will have to be Yorkshire and I`ll put wine gums on the smugglers list...On the subject of French food, which has nothing to do with Cotentin, anyone know the name of the large lettuce, resembling a green mop head, sold in supermarkets..absolutely gorgeous they are. I`ve forgotten

This one maybe. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.carrefour.fr/p/salade-batavia-3000001040194&ved=2ahUKEwi977SN6JjuAhVsxYUKHZHoCFEQFjAQegQIIhAB&usg=AOvVaw0UtYFSP0KiwISASc0zo0BQ

Ed

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

Many of us, especially our French (now alien 🤣) neighbours enjoy eating snails!

They’re on my wish list of things to try.  I ordered them once in a restaurant - or thought I did; got my French mixed up and accidentally ordered andouillette instead! 🤮

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Friend of mine, a real innocent abroad, thought he was being a bit flash and ordered Steak Tartare, on the basis he loved steak (medium rare) as well as Tartare Sauce.....You can imagine his face when it arrived 🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paully said:

I`ve told you your Teabags will have to be Yorkshire and I`ll put wine gums on the smugglers list...On the subject of French food, which has nothing to do with Cotentin, anyone know the name of the large lettuce, resembling a green mop head, sold in supermarkets..absolutely gorgeous they are. I`ve forgotten

Might be Lolo Rosso?.  I can't handle British teabags, too wishy washy. Assam everytime preferably loose and sometimes mixed with the odd scoop of Ceylon.

I go for this stuff.

https://www.brewteacompany.co.uk/

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jonno said:

Might be Lolo Rosso?.  I can't handle British teabags, too wishy washy. Assam everytime preferably loose and sometimes mixed with the odd scoop of Ceylon.

I go for this stuff.

https://www.brewteacompany.co.uk/

Barry's Tea from Ireland , my UK friends in France described it as gunpowder .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...