1 hour ago, Gareth said:

They’re on my wish list of things to try.

You can and collect snails from my garden anytime.

Nigeria have really big ones. Taste a bit like the inside of a golf ball. Had them with a kind of pale flaky meat I thought was perhaps tuna. Only after I'd finished did my Nigerian client tell it was grasscutter. Grasscutter is a kind of rat.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bob, er... I don't mean to pry but.... how do you know what the inside of a golf ball tastes like, was it a college or Uni initiation type of thing?

Poor snail! 😁

A friend and I cut one open with a hacksaw once and small bits of elastic flew in all directions. In the middle was a small ball of very dense rubber which fell out of the shell and bounced around the

1 hour ago, BobCrox said:

We always took Cheddar cheese to give our French neighbours. Much appreciated

Well, I have definitely educated in this thread. I thought France was the cheese capital of the world, and you could get every shape and size there!

Every day is a school day, as they say.

16 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Nigeria have really big ones. Taste a bit like the inside of a golf ball. Had them with a kind of pale flaky meat I thought was perhaps tuna. Only after I'd finished did my Nigerian client tell it was grasscutter. Grasscutter is a kind of rat.

I once had a giant African snail as a pet. We bought it for a fiver at Windsor Safari Park. It didn't do much but did get even bigger eating all the kitchen peelings. It died and was disposed of after a year or so. I suspect that it would have been rather rubbery if we had eaten it.

Ed

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Not the same as being prepared by a talented French chef! 😁

42 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Bob, er... I don't mean to pry but.... how do you know what the inside of a golf ball tastes like, was it a college or Uni initiation type of thing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
3 hours ago, jonno said:

A friend and I cut one open with a hacksaw once and small bits of elastic flew in all directions. In the middle was a small ball of very dense rubber which fell out of the shell and bounced around the garage for several minutes until we could catch it. Ed. 

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

A friend and I cut one open with a hacksaw once and small bits of elastic flew in all directions. In the middle was a small ball of very dense rubber which fell out of the shell and bounced around the garage for several minutes until we could catch it. Ed. 

Poor snail! 😁

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Gareth said:

bounced around the garage for several minutes until we could catch it.

Ed the technical term for this elastic escape is B'Diong! when said experiment is conducted in a controlled bench test environment you also experience the accompanying snapping noise, technically referred to as Twang!

• Thanks 1

Excuse me if I've picked the wrong forum, but I think it's food related. Does anyone know what all the short wheel-based Polish registered vans carry? Everywhere we've been in France, Spain, etc we seem to encounter them on non motorway roads, avoiding tolls.

30 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Excuse me if I've picked the wrong forum, but I think it's food related. Does anyone know what all the short wheel-based Polish registered vans carry? Everywhere we've been in France, Spain, etc we seem to encounter them on non motorway roads, avoiding tolls.

It's not generally food but high-speed courier services.  They are often used in the automotive industry - Scania here use them a lot. The rules are complicated but they aren't required to takes the same statutory rest periods (so are often dangerously tired) and I believe can only make two stops in any country where they are not registered. (I'll try and check the exact details.) There are apparently ways to get around that ruling. 

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

Here's an article about it in French. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.ouest-france.fr/economie/transports/routes/transport-ces-camionnettes-de-l-est-zigzaguent-avec-la-loi-5617384&ved=2ahUKEwjeoLrF7ZruAhWyzYUKHRhjBRU4ChAWMAJ6BAgJEAE&usg=AOvVaw0meSeymbsz3jeOMBIMUa8-

It's three loading and unloading operations per trip and then they must go home again.  As I said they get around that by illegally using truck stops as their 'home base'. For example an HGV will arrive with a full load which is then distributed among 10 smaller trucks who drop off those pallets and pick up more on the return and then repeat the cycle. Nobody actually checks if the van heads back to Poland between loads and if the Police question the drivers they state it's always their first shipment - if they speak French that is, which is rare. They are often seen parked up outside Lidl and Aldi stores as that's where they do their food shopping. 

Ed

To go back to food, there was an article in the Connexion some time ago suggesting that a no deal Brexit would result in problems taking dairy foods etc into the EU, the implication being that a deal would avoid this. So it is surprising that the Government did not include this issue in negotiations. Norway is not in the EU but is not subject to the ban. I agree with what previous commentators, I love French food and  especially the cheese but arrival times mean it is not always practical to go shopping as soon as you get there. I have even been asked to bring cheddar for French friends.

😒

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brexit/No-British-meat-or-cheese-allowed-in-luggage-after-no-deal-Brexit

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, DucdeNormandie said:

To go back to food, there was an article in the Connexion some time ago suggesting that a no deal Brexit would result in problems taking dairy foods etc into the EU,

This would suggest that our negotiators read Connexion. Apparently our ministers didn't have time to read the agreement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/13/fisheries-minister-admits-not-reading-brexit-bill-as-she-was-at-nativity

• Like 1

Yes I agree strange that it wasn`t included in the December accord..However I believe it is being addressed..The UK and Spain are presently in talks re the border/food etc regarding Gibraltar, as they are going to be part of Schengen. They presently have a ferry doing the run between Algerciras and Gib to get round the food problem. Both the EU and the Government of Gibraltar are interested parties to the talks which are due to last 4-6 months. It is within this context that agreement will be reached, on all sorts of things as well, which due to EU involvement will resolve the food import problem. 

Politics being the tit for tat game it is, Spain are talking about lifting the ban on UK warships calling in Spain to or from Gib and allowing RAF flights to overfly Spain enroute to their base there.Getting an agreement on milk and Cheddar should be child`s play after that😂

Yes let's hope it is sorted.  I can imagine the queues at Ouistreham in the summer peak period if cars are regularly searched for contraband of UHT milk etc and if it is all confiscated and destroyed will mean more food waste. At the moment France is in the forefront of the war on food waste.   The poor hauliers have had a lot to deal with over the past few months without losing their lunch as well. Limiting imports to personal use would contain any risks.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any information as to how Irish Republic Customs are handling this issue with regards to meat & dairy in personal goods brought over from the UK. Could mean no Compton Bassett Stilton and proper black pudding from Waitrose when we next pop over to England (whenever that will be).

4 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

Does anyone have any information as to how Irish Republic Customs are handling this issue with regards to meat & dairy in personal goods brought over from the UK. Could mean no Compton Bassett Stilton and proper black pudding from Waitrose when we next pop over to England (whenever that will be).

https://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/products/colston-bassett-stilton. Ships abroad!

6 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

Is this one negated by NI being in the single market? I don't see why it should but that would mean checks at Larne and Cairn Ryan instead.

Either way, I suggest it would be a brave or foolhardy Irish or UK government that attempted to confiscate personal food being transported between the two. 

3 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Is this one negated by NI being in the single market? I don't see why it should but that would mean checks at Larne and Cairn Ryan instead.

Either way, I suggest it would be a brave or foolhardy Irish or UK government that attempted to confiscate personal food being transported between the two. 

Not sure why NI is relevant to the question?  I think he was asking in relation to UK-Eire sailings.

14 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Not sure why NI is relevant to the question?  I think he was asking in relation to UK-Eire sailings.

I suppose you are right. But unless there are checks on UK to NI sailings, what's the point in having them on UK-EIRE sailings. I could bring my bacon sandwich from the UK into the EU very easily via this route, if I felt dastardly enough...

Just now, VikingVoyager said:

I suppose you are right. But unless there are checks on UK to NI sailings, what's the point in having them on UK-EIRE sailings. I could bring my bacon sandwich from the UK into the EU very easily via this route, if I felt dastardly enough...

Indeed!

1 hour ago, VikingVoyager said:

Irish Customs are operating a relaxed approach to customs rules for a few months as a form of transition .

• Thanks 1