• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pelagos this morning at Dunkerque , she is chartered until end of May 

A truck driver video report from a Rosslare - Dunkerque crossing:  

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

'IF' this is the case, it certainly does not appear to affect DFDS. Their three ships keep plodding on regardless and they even take a 4th ship (Calais Seaways) to Dunkerque when Calais is closed.

As Colin touched on, a big advantage for DFDS's new route from Ireland to Dunkerque, is the road network. Direct into most of Europe without the need to use Toll roads, unlike Le Havre.

DFDS in partnership with LD have also created a substantial transport hub at Dunkerque too. I also think that there are few out there who perceive Dunkerque to be a small port when in reality it's the opposite, If I remember correctly the port can handle vessels with a draft in excess of 20m.

We drove to Dover from Pembrokeshire in 2013, the journey took almost 10 hours, that allied to the HGV driver restrictions would mean a two day journey. I can see the advantage of having a direct sea route, as DW highlights it's a substantial rest period.

Mind you you could easily use that as an advantage in sailing to all of the French channel ports.

2 hours ago, jonno said:

I also think that there are few out there who perceive Dunkerque to be a small port when in reality it's the opposite, If I remember correctly the port can handle vessels with a draft in excess of 20m.

Dunkerque is France's third largest port behind Marseille and Le Harve. It can cater for the largest box boats, the largest gas carriers and like you say, deep draft vessels. Oh, and ferries.

It also has Damen dry docks and a floating dock.

4 hours ago, David Williams said:

I think that 24 hours is more significant than the shorter ones offered by Cherbourg due to the extremely complicated drivers hours rules !

Though increasing regulation of driver hours and driver shortages is exactly the reason why unaccompanied makes increased sense where it is in any way possible.

5 minutes ago, colin said:

Visby? What is she? Charter from somewhere?

Destination Gotland vessel.  They have confirmed she is to be chartered but not to whom.  Multiple reports on Ferries! group on Facebook, that she is Rosslare - Dunkerque bound. 

Link to the Swedish press release confirming the charter from 20 December until May 2021.

https://gotlandsbolaget.se/m-s-visby-chartras-ut/?fbclid=IwAR2TjKe760Rd-bcec9FDi_DBIkRld4wpMLEl_VMVzNF17wTgG02WQiLFv1E

Details of the vessel https://gotlandsbolaget.se/en/publikationer/ms-visby/

11 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Only Visby I am aware of is the Destination Gotland vessel - but she is somewhat more pax orientated then Kerry

She is but DG ships have a configuration very specific to that trade.

She will be fine with drivers only but her facilities are actually very limited even for a short crossing.  Most passengers on the Visby route only want to travel so most of the accommodation is simply aircraft type seating with a smallish self-service restaurant and small shop/reception.

Edited by RickOShea
Clarifying language
  • Like 1
Just now, David Williams said:

Looks like the initial ships are just a stop gap to start the route and check viability, it just shows the muscle of the bigger players to launch a route with 3 ships !

I think this is key here.

There is little doubt that things won't go smoothly initially and hauliers will be panicky about interruption to the supply chain so I'd be shocked if there wasn't a lot of interest in this route in January.  This will inevitably be much more expensive than Ireland - Wales and Short Sea.

Will there be any demand if things settle down?

How long will things be difficult?

These are simply questions we don't know and taking three ships on short-term charters is probably very low risk to DFDS with potentially a very big reward. It also provides business continuity should Dover lose a lot of traffic.  Adapting to a changing market is the secret to a business staying viable and relevant. 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, colin said:

Very much a "statement of intent" by DFDS which may discourage some of the other rumoured services?

Definitely, and if the BF Ireland / Spain route starts getting decent traffic on it, BF may well end up with a competitor with deeper pockets- a service that runs 2 times a week is probably not enough. 

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Definitely, and if the BF Ireland / Spain route starts getting decent traffic on it, BF may well end up with a competitor with deeper pockets- a service that runs 2 times a week is probably not enough. 

Albeit that the geographical areas served are quite different. West France, Spain, Portugal, North Africa against central and eastern Europe.

2 minutes ago, colin said:

Albeit that the geographical areas served are quite different. West France, Spain, Portugal, North Africa against central and eastern Europe.

Agreed, however

• DFDS manage 2 ships (though subsidised) into Normandy
  • DFDS will be running 3 ships out of Rosslaire and making contacts with the Irish transport companies.
  • Ships move between routes very quickly - it is all about efficiently running them.

• Like 1

If the DFDS timetable gets confirmed, Saturdays could be pretty busy in Rosslare:

DFDS Rosslare - Dunkirk

Saturday 14:00 
Saturday 23:00 

Stena Rosslare - Cherbourg

Saturday 16:30 (every 2nd week) 

Stena Rosslare - Fishguard

Saturday 08:00 
Saturday 18:10 

Irish Ferries Rosslare - Pembroke

Saturday 08:45
Saturday 20:45

Been on her, she's a nice vessel with nice ensuite cabins, fast too, she's no Corellian freighter able to do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs but I reckon she'd out run both the Cap & the Pont.

Bit of a waste having a 30kt ship pootling along to Dunkerque in 24 hours.

Large vehicle decks, (3-6 I think?) bistro and restaurant on deck 7 and deck 8 is all cabins.

42 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Rosslare to Le Havre has been mentioned once or twice.

Word from my contact in Rosslare is that the Dunkerque route is instead of Le Havre. The Irish funding was more than what the TEN-T money would have been and DFDS were keen to use their own expanding facilities in France.

The option is still there so you never know but I doubt there's still the appetite now we have two operators serving Cherbourg and DFDS/LD sewing things up further east. 

There's another rumour regarding BF eventually wanting a two ship operation based at Rosslare, possibly Connemara or similar serving France and eventually the Cap serving both Spanish ports but in his defence maybe a little too much Bushmills had been imbibed by then!