DFDS Rosslare - Dunkerque

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pelagos this morning at Dunkerque , she is chartered until end of May 

@tarbyonline has put together an overview of the VISBY for any of you interested   https://www.niferry.co.uk/visby-dfds-destination-gotland-2/

Two Visentini ship yesterday at Dunkerque , Kerry and Pelagos      

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, CH1 said:

Will they receive the DFDS standard livery (for Visby and Kerry) or will we see them into something more bland ? 

Given timescales - I would doubt any DFDS livery will appear.  Not really needed for a freight service, though for PR purposes might be worth timing any media coverage with OPTIMA SEAWAYS sailings.

Very good loads on recent DFDS services.

Some reports of sailings from Rosslare fully booked until March (which does not mean the sailings actually depart full). 

• Like 1

They could get at least one more sailing in each direction per week between these three ships.  They do a lot of hanging around.

By using each ship on a 3-day repeating schedule, they could get daily departures from Dunkerque at 1000 and from Rosslare at 1845.  Seven departures per week in each direction as opposed to the current six.

That would make a lot of sense. They just couldn’t do two Saturday departures from Rosslare. 

DFDS seem to be trying to get a 30% fare premium compared to the Cherbourg sailings.  

For the moment, Irish Ferries seems to be the cheapest. 

On 16/01/2021 at 12:43, Gareth said:

They could get at least one more sailing in each direction per week between these three ships.  They do a lot of hanging around.

By using each ship on a 3-day repeating schedule, they could get daily departures from Dunkerque at 1000 and from Rosslare at 1845.  Seven departures per week in each direction as opposed to the current six.

I am assuming that departure times are based around haulier feedback.  When we were setting up Rosslare - Montoir - Gijon, the feedback was always the later the sailing the better.  

On 17/01/2021 at 07:57, lg12 said:

That would make a lot of sense. They just couldn’t do two Saturday departures from Rosslare. 

DFDS seem to be trying to get a 30% fare premium compared to the Cherbourg sailings.  

For the moment, Irish Ferries seems to be the cheapest. 

I've heard similar about fares and that Stena and IF are competing heavily on price (to protect both their Direct and Landbridge routes).

Two Saturday departures are required because there seems to be huge demand and the ships are Covid limited to one driver per cabin.

7 hours ago, RickOShea said:

I am assuming that departure times are based around haulier feedback.  When we were setting up Rosslare - Montoir - Gijon, the feedback was always the later the sailing the better.  

The times I used are based on their weekday timings.  They just get changed around at the weekend, which is what leads to the extended hanging around, and is why they are limited to 6 (rather than 7) departures per week.  As you say, though, this may be in response to what hauliers want by way of weekend provision.

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

The times I used are based on their weekday timings.  They just get changed around at the weekend, which is what leads to the extended hanging around, and is why they are limited to 6 (rather than 7) departures per week.  As you say, though, this may be in response to what hauliers want by way of weekend provision.

There's usually some careful consideration behind apparent madness.  It was the same at LD.  Sunday Spain to France, weekend Poole to Spain roundtrip, Friday ex Ireland - everything else was based around that.

So you needed to depart Spain to France early enough on Sunday to give the Monday arrival time needed, but needed to depart Ireland late enough on Friday to have any chance.  So you ended up with a ship hanging around Rosslare for 24 hours Thursday to Friday then a rapid turnaround in France.  Had things worked out, I was going to explore opportunities of a trip to GB during the layover......

Just saying..it's easy to see a schedule and think "they could do x or y" but it's usually for very good reason.

Edited by RickOShea
30 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

Just saying..it's easy to see a schedule and think "they could do x or y" but it's usually for very good reason

That's why they are the experts, and we are the enthusiasts. I would never second guess what decisions successful company makes only that of the failed ones. 😉 

2 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

That's why they are the experts, and we are the enthusiasts. I would never second guess what decisions successful company makes only that of the failed ones. 😉 

Trust me even "failed ones" can make sound decisions but lots of factors conspire to ruin even the most sound business plan 😛

Or get additional use of the existing ships? With the Drotten coming soon, they will have two very capable ships alongside Kerry.

I can't imagine it turning into a 4 ship operation.

Edited by lg12

Actually, maybe they would.

If we allow 6 hours for turnaround, then effectively one round trip by each ship takes 60 hours.  168 hours in a week, 3 ships makes 504 ship-hours available per week.  504/60 is 8.4.  So theoretically, some sort of timetable could be devised to get 8 round trips out of 3 ships.

Goodness knows what sort of departure times it would involve.  Certainly not a regular time each day.

I’ll have a play and see what sort of schedule would be possible.

The Rosslare port manager has said  there are slots available that they would like to make use of, a four and a half hour availability of all berths between 23:30 hrs and 04:00 and a few during the day .