• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pelagos this morning at Dunkerque , she is chartered until end of May 

A truck driver video report from a Rosslare - Dunkerque crossing:  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Personally my gut is saying that DFDS will in time continue with a 2 ship operation, Drotten & Visby, then begin to exploit their 29kt capability.

Only if it is commercially viable at that speed. Drotten is well on her way from the Baltic. Expected 0600/25th in Dunkerque. 

8 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

Only if it is commercially viable at that speed. Drotten is well on her way from the Baltic. Expected 0600/25th in Dunkerque. 

So is this going to be a fourth ship on the route then?

24 minutes ago, Gareth said:

So is this going to be a fourth ship on the route then?

Not that I know of. Optima Seaways is due back in the Baltic at the end of the month. 

I would be surprised if Optima stays but you never know.

I also have some doubts about the commercial viability of running Visby/Drotten at 28-29kt over such a long route. It would also put into question the 23hr driver rest argument DFDS has been selling...

Edited by lg12
1 hour ago, lg12 said:

I would be surprised if Optima stays but you never know.

I also have some doubts about the commercial viability of running Visby/Drotten at 28-29kt over such a long route. It would also put into question the 23hr driver rest argument DFDS has been selling...

The route will loose a bit of its attraction if the crossing time was shortened, as 24 hours on the ship counts as a driver’s weekly rest break. This resets their week and allows a full week’s work when they get off in Dunkirk. 

1 hour ago, disco3 said:

The route will loose a bit of its attraction if the crossing time was shortened, as 24 hours on the ship counts as a driver’s weekly rest break. This resets their week and allows a full week’s work when they get off in Dunkirk. 

Maybe top speed heading west then.

A few points;

1. Remember what was said earlier in the thread.  Yes, you could get more sailings out of the DFDS ships but you'd end up with a schedule nobody wanted to use.

2. Destination Gotland require DROTTEN or VISBY to maintain their peak season schedule.  Whether a derogation to the tender can be secured is a separate question.  Both ships are currently only on charter until April.  (As is KERRY as far as I know).

• Like 1
On 1/23/2021 at 11:34 PM, RickOShea said:

A few points;

1. Remember what was said earlier in the thread.  Yes, you could get more sailings out of the DFDS ships but you'd end up with a schedule nobody wanted to use.

2. Destination Gotland require DROTTEN or VISBY to maintain their peak season schedule.  Whether a derogation to the tender can be secured is a separate question.  Both ships are currently only on charter until April.  (As is KERRY as far as I know).

Visby is chartered for 6 month and Drotten 2 month only 🙂

Edited by jujudu62100
9 minutes ago, jujudu62100 said:

Visby is chartered for 6 month and Drotten 2 month only 🙂

Navitaship shows VISBY at 4 months and DROTTEN at 3 months, this takes both up to the end of April.  From what Destination Gotland has said publicly there is an option to take VISBY to 6 months.

image.png.733a77ce968d3525d5eec4a24300156a.png

Nice ship.

Shame about the name.

MV Drotten sounds like the name of a sludge carrier, certainly not sounding like a ship you would want to spend the first day of your holidays on...

• Like 2

Does anyone here think this, are any other Euroeire services will potentially offered as passenger cruise ferry services (when normality returns) in the future? Would be fantastic to experience such a crossing for me personally.

On 29/01/2021 at 21:18, Le Quiberon said:

Does anyone here think this, are any other Euroeire services will potentially offered as passenger cruise ferry services (when normality returns) in the future? Would be fantastic to experience such a crossing for me personally.

Let's first see which of these additional services exist when normality returns.  Freight is increasingly flowing without delays. 

This weekend we have seen the first realities of direct, KERRY missed a roundtrip from Dunkerque, CAP FINISTERE cancelled to Bilbao (Cherbourg instead, rather than on Monday). STENA ESTRID 10 hours late so far departing Dublin for Cherbourg.....

• Like 2

Just to add - STENA ESTRID left at 0130 instead of 1500, VISBY seems to be running a few hours late to Dunkerque due to the weather, KERRY has missed a round trip (ex Dunkerque Friday), DROTTEN left Dunkerque for Rosslare at 0230 rather than 2300, STENA HORIZON is a few hours late.

Irish Ferries has fared much better WB YEATS has a delay on her Dublin - Cherbourg sailing of 1 hour and it looks like EPSILON was pretty much on time on Cherbourg - Dublin.  STENA FORETELLER looks pretty much on time.

As said above, CAP FINISTERE's Friday Rosslare - Bilbao sailing went to Cherbourg instead and will sail back as normal from there on Tuesday (so Bilbao - Rosslare and Monday's Rosslare - Cherbourg also dropped).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite a few media reports in recent days about 20+ Amazon trucks on DFDS Irish sailings. Unaccompanied obviously, so also helps make good use of lane meters without eating into the limited number of cabins. 

It would be interesting to get some more details on this. Only to Ireland? Or also returning on direct ferry rather than cheaper landbridge? Are they returning empty or with exports? 

Full U.K. customs control enforcement is due from April and June so we will see if that has any impact on landbridge traffic. 

11 hours ago, lg12 said:

Quite a few media reports in recent days about 20+ Amazon trucks on DFDS Irish sailings. Unaccompanied obviously, so also helps make good use of lane meters without eating into the limited number of cabins. 

It would be interesting to get some more details on this. Only to Ireland? Or also returning on direct ferry rather than cheaper landbridge? Are they returning empty or with exports? 

Full U.K. customs control enforcement is due from April and June so we will see if that has any impact on landbridge traffic. 

We can talk all we like about time and hassle - cost is also a factor and Direct is much more expensive.

Amazon would be direct both ways if unaccompanied.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Buzzbee said:

Indeed, link to RTE article is here, as lg12 reported, 20+ Amazon trucks per day on DFDS Dunkirk-Rosslare:

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2021/0211/1196595-amazon-europort/

Article also quotes Glenn Carr, general manager of Rosslare Europort,  about extending operations to 24 hours a day, adding slots etc.

Good luck to them.  The key evening slots are almost saturated now.

20 hours ago, lg12 said:

I have no problems if we lose all landbridge traffic, however for purely Irish loads going to Europe the TIR system should make the paperwork and checks simple.

The issue is that it will be a lot more difficult to drop part loads in the UK or pick up stuff on the way through.

I still think that this trend will end up with containers, unaccompanied has inefficiencies as well

• Like 3