DFDS Rosslare - Dunkerque

I agree that we need to wait to see how the situation develops. LOTS of variables from what happens to controls to long term availability of ships. UK-Republic trade and GB-NI trade must surely rebuild, but how much will shift to Republic-continent if the hassle levels remain high remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pelagos this morning at Dunkerque , she is chartered until end of May 

A truck driver video report from a Rosslare - Dunkerque crossing:  

Posted Images

Most of the initial surge in interest in direct sailings was probably triggered by perceived/feared hassle rather than actual hassle (because actual hassle was an unknown).  But, as you say Colin, there are a lot of variables, and how things will settle down ultimately will take a while to become clear.  You’d think that some sort of net shift away from the landbridge would be likely, although probably not in the numbers seen in January.  It will all also be tied up in whether there is also a net shift towards unaccompanied freight.

23 minutes ago, paulbeara said:

“The new freight ferry is DFDS’ “Ark Dania” with a capacity of 188 truck units (including 12 driver accompanied units and 176 unaccompanied units/trailers).”

It shows the increasing importance of unaccompanied trailers

58 minutes ago, David Williams said:

“The new freight ferry is DFDS’ “Ark Dania” with a capacity of 188 truck units (including 12 driver accompanied units and 176 unaccompanied units/trailers).”

It shows the increasing importance of unaccompanied trailers

Or just the lack of tonnage.

Apparently two extra sailings a week in each direction.

It will be interesting to see how they replaced one (or both?) of the Gotlands in the coming months. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ark Dania was meant to be doing Rosslare sailings from 01/04. Still no sign of it anywhere near there, or in the DFDS timetable/freight booking engine. 

Either plans have changed or there have been some delays in securing additional useful Rosslare slots?

52 minutes ago, lg12 said:

Ark Dania était censé faire des croisières Rosslare à partir du 01/04. Toujours aucun signe de celui-ci à proximité, ou dans le moteur de réservation d'horaires / de fret DFDS. 

Soit les plans ont changé, soit il y a eu des retards dans la sécurisation d'emplacements Rosslare supplémentaires utiles?

She will come  friday  at Dunkerque according Dunkerque port website  :)

It looks like Ark Dania will operate as follows:

Tuesday & Saturday / Dunkirk 03:30 Rosslare 10:30 (arriving Wednesday & Sunday) - 28 hour crossing 

Wednesday & Sunday / Rosslare 12:30 Dunkirk 22:30 (arriving Thursday & Saturday) - 29 hour crossing 

--

If there are no further changes to the schedule, it would give DFDS:

From Rosslare, two sailings on Wednesday and Saturday but still none on Thursday.

From Dunkirk, two sailings on Tuesday and one every other day.

• 2 weeks later...

For want of a better place to post this, I have seen an announcement of a Grimaldi RoRo service between Antwerp and Cork.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, colin said:

For want of a better place to post this, I have seen an announcement of a Grimaldi RoRo service between Antwerp and Cork.

Service starts 2nd week of May and following from Grimaldi Group press release

The vessel deployed on the Antwerp-Cork service will be the Italian-flagged ro-ro unit Eurocargo Bari, which has a length of 200 metres, a beam of 26.5 metres, a gross tonnage of 32,632 tonnes and a service speed of 23 knots. She can transport 3,850 linear metres of rolling freight as well as 200 cars, thanks to her hoistable decks.

10 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Just a general question hit does anybody think any of these new  Eire/Euro ferry routes could become passenger services using cruise ferries? L’Q.

I guess there could be some tourist and even business car or foot passenger traffic in both directions? From Germany, Holland, Belgium to Ireland and the reverse. As we all know, a smart ferry with good food is THE way to travel.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, colin said:

I guess there could be some tourist and even business car or foot passenger traffic in both directions? From Germany, Holland, Belgium to Ireland and the reverse. As we all know, a smart ferry with good food is THE way to travel.

I agree.... would be a fantastic experience on a nice ship!

12 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Just a general question hit does anybody think any of these new  Eire/Euro ferry routes could become passenger services using cruise ferries? L’Q.

If passengers are prepared to pay about €1000 return and suitable tonnage can be found then maybe. For me, no. This is about freight, nothing more, nothing less and I wouldn't be surprised to see DFDS switch to a couple of Ro/Ro's instead of the passenger ships they currently charter.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

There already are passenger services with IF and BF's seasonal service, would there be a market for others to try?