Rosslare Europort

1 minute ago, RickOShea said:

If the freight route works and it needs to be accompanied, rather than unaccompanied, the cost of also carrying tourist traffic is reasonably marginal.  It would definitely attract some trade in summer.  But I recall trips on the (wonderful) OSCAR WILDE on Rosslare - Cherbourg out of season and even she was mainly freight.

that would be my thinking - which is why I cant understand why P&O haven't attempted a seasonal approach to PAX on their Zeebrugge route (it's packed in the summer, and this is a simple overnighter - not a 24hr crossing). I digress

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EXACTLY! We are talking about 500% starting from a very small number.  The last figures I analysed suggested STENA HORIZON was averaging 70 freight units a sailing with 3 sailings each way per we

I`m at a loss to understand why the Welsh Government would get involved. Yes the reduction of traffic will cause a reduction in port charges but thats all. These lorries roll off at Holyhead and by an

Couple of pics of Drottens arrival from Rosslare Europort twitter    

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

that would be my thinking - which is why I cant understand why P&O haven't attempted a seasonal approach to PAX on their Zeebrugge route (it's packed in the summer, and this is a simple overnighter - not a 24hr crossing). I digress

P&O has been making huge losses on that route for years and that's clearly a problem stretching beyond the passenger side of the business.  I suspect the current tonnage just isn't viable based on the traffic mix.   It might be viable with Visentinis but then you are into the problems of the Hull berths.

Just now, RickOShea said:

P&O has been making huge losses on that route for years and that's clearly a problem stretching beyond the passenger side of the business.  I suspect the current tonnage just isn't viable based on the traffic mix.   It might be viable with Visentinis but then you are into the problems of the Hull berths.

So the story goes - but you have to ask why it either wasn't closed long ago or a different approach tried. My guess is that it was actually profitable for part of the year. But we are on the wrong thread here - apologies - it's my fault

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, David Williams said:

That is going to dwarf the once a week BF service

The BF service should still be viable overall.  

But let's see what ships are running in summer - there is going to be a bloodbath on the routes to Ireland.  An incredible number of vessels added yet if anything freight will decline.  Which routes are winners and losers only time will tell.

Another factor here is that as well as losing traffic to the EU routes, the ROI - GB routes will likely lose traffic to NI - GB routes as there is likely to be less bureaucracy for those routes.

But right now we have no clue how this will all play out.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

The BF service should still be viable overall.  

But let's see what ships are running in summer - there is going to be a bloodbath on the routes to Ireland.  An incredible number of vessels added yet if anything freight will decline.  Which routes are winners and losers only time will tell.

Another factor here is that as well as losing traffic to the EU routes, the ROI - GB routes will likely lose traffic to NI - GB routes as there is likely to be less bureaucracy for those routes.

But right now we have no clue how this will all play out.

Will BF be so concerned in reference to their Connemara sailing to Cherbourg. She is more strategically important for the Bilbao crossing and BF will be making profit from the rail link which, apart from themselves, both Stena and I.F. will take advantage of?

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Will BF be so concerned in reference to their Connemara sailing to Cherbourg. She is more strategically important for the Bilbao crossing and BF will be making profit from the rail link which, apart from themselves, both Stena and I.F. will take advantage of?

The Cherbourg route will make decent passenger revenue alone in summer.  Costs are pretty low for that operation.

5 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

Marine Traffic says Foreteller is headed for Falmouth but current position is mid way between Pembroke and Rosslare - is she popping into the latter for a berthing trial?

Yes - she will do berthing trials at Rosslare today and tomorrow.  Not quite sure why as she has been there before.

Given the recent schedule ‘agreement’ reached with Irish Ferries I await with interest what their response to this will be...!

Some great photos of Stena Foreteller arriving this in Rosslare this morning here: 

2 hours ago, LHCity said:

Irish Ferries is the only company to have not yet announced anything to strengthen its links with the continent?

That's because there are no other ships to charter, they'll have to make do with the four they've got and I assume their winter maintenance programme is about to begin.

Visentini's don't grow on trees, what does that leave, Stena's Sassnitz languishing in a Scandinavian dock somewhere?

They could have Barfleur for a couple of months of course, you'll get 75 trucks on her?

42 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

they are already reported to have looked at European Seaway (and presumably rejected either based on conversion or running costs)

And 'Burgundy.

Industry sources are not ruling out that this could still happen..

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting to note this week that Irish Ferries boss was still promoting the UK landbridge as the most suitable route for hauliers from the northern half of Ireland (shorter sea crossings less prone to cancellations, etc.) 

However just spotted that from mid week WB Yeats swaps routes with Epsilon. Irish Ferries must have noticed that all ferries leaving Rosslare for France are fully booked.

2 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

However just spotted that from mid week WB Yeats swaps routes with Epsilon.

But just for one return crossing on wed 6th .

On 05/01/2021 at 08:54, Chef said:

But just for one return crossing on wed 6th .

Looks like WB Yeats is off to France again on Friday. A haulier was quoted in the Irish Times earlier in the week that he couldn't get a booking on the Epsilon so looks like IF have responded