Rosslare Europort

Penlan

I wonder what sort of proportion of lorry traffic on our congested roads this landbridge thing accounts for.  The welcome reduction is probably a drop in the ocean, but I guess every little helps!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I wonder what sort of proportion of lorry traffic on our congested roads this landbridge thing accounts for.  The welcome reduction is probably a drop in the ocean, but I guess every little helps!

Yes, in a somewhat twisted way, reducing demand at Dover / Tunnel is probably welcomed?

Stena also cut back sailings on Holyhead - Dublin over this weekend. A total of 12 return sailings on Irish Sea over 5 days. Seems last week they transported just four artics on four sailings. Mostly down to Brexit paperwork and reluctance of hauliers to risk being turned back.

• Like 1

So I wonder what sort of proportion of the freight carried on the Eire - England / Wales routes prior to this year was Landbridge traffic?  Versus how much was actually UK - Eire traffic?

On 11/01/2021 at 08:20, Gareth said:

So I wonder what sort of proportion of the freight carried on the Eire - England / Wales routes prior to this year was Landbridge traffic?  Versus how much was actually UK - Eire traffic?

The figures quoted by ICG lately is that 80% of UK  - ROI is not landbridge if I recall correctly.

As I have said here and elsewhere, right now nothing means anything.  We won't have the full picture until summer at least.

• Like 1

Have Irish Ferries seen the error of their ways having previously said that the landbridge was stiil the way to go? This weekend see WB Yeats and Epsilon on the Dublin-Cherbourg route - does anyone have the lowdown on this U-tiurn?

Also watched Boris appearing before parliamentary committee yesterday; he insisted that UK - Ireland/N. Ireland traffic was running smoothly. This is not what We're seeing in the Irish media. Some hauliers also complaining of being bounced off DFDS ferries from France by vital medical supplies.

Which seems to be mainly the fault of the hauliers for not having bothered to sort out the new required paperwork despite plenty of time to do so......That was according to Irish Customs as quoted in RTE News a few days ago. Quite believeable I have to say..Once it all settles down I suspect Irish Ferries prediction may still be correct. Be interesting to see the level of the more expensive direct services in say 6 months time...

The Rep of Ireland and Northern Ireland are both in the same customs union , there are no shortages or empty shelves in supermarkets in the Republic but there are in Northern Ireland , how come ! my local Tesco ( a UK company) here in Ireland is fully stocked .

Edited by Chef

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Which seems to be mainly the fault of the hauliers for not having bothered to sort out the new required paperwork despite plenty of time to do so......That was according to Irish Customs as quoted in RTE News a few days ago. Quite believeable I have to say..Once it all settles down I suspect Irish Ferries prediction may still be correct. Be interesting to see the level of the more expensive direct services in say 6 months time...

Much of the detail of procedures for many sectors were not made available till late December. Many non UK national vets in the food chain have left the country. The new customs online systems are not ready.

Other than that it is a walk in the park?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colin said:

Much of the detail of procedures for many sectors were not made available till late December. Many non UK national vets in the food chain have left the country. The new customs online systems are not ready.

Other than that it is a walk in the park?

No idea Colin, you may be right. I was quoting exactly what Irish Customs themselves said. They have as a result extended non enforcement of the rules but were very critical of hauliers. 

On 13/01/2021 at 20:30, Stena Galloway said:

Just seen a post on Twitter that Stena Embla is going into service between Rosslare and Cherbourg from tomorrow.

And here she is arriving bang on time in Cherbourg this afternoon and absolutely rammed with freight, the same on the return sailing this evening. WB Yeats also packed to the gunwhales, so is Epsilon tomorrow....

I love the one of the old chap fishing, totally uninterested by a brand spanking new ferry sailing past his rod and line.....

Chris

441F05C1-298B-419E-BE96-616E97A3C8BA.jpeg

1CD9B7FF-F4E3-4535-8173-6D57ABEAF635.jpeg

86B4AA96-C62D-4396-A510-25B3632F9578.jpeg

17801A33-DF63-4177-842F-8EF851899800.jpeg

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

And here she is arriving bang on time in Cherbourg this afternoon and absolutely rammed with freight, the same on the return sailing this evening. WB Yeats also packed to the gunwhales, so is Epsilon tomorrow....

I love the one of the old chap fishing, totally uninterested by a brand spanking new ferry sailing past his rod and line.....

Chris

441F05C1-298B-419E-BE96-616E97A3C8BA.jpeg

1CD9B7FF-F4E3-4535-8173-6D57ABEAF635.jpeg

86B4AA96-C62D-4396-A510-25B3632F9578.jpeg

17801A33-DF63-4177-842F-8EF851899800.jpeg

Great pics Chris. Must say I find these vessels very attractive looking.

• Like 1

Thanks SG and yep I agree, both inside and out and they're quiet too. I'm just hoping after months (even years) of dithering Stena finally see the light and put an E-Flexer on the route full time. It needs one for many reasons, and the DFDS options to Dunkerque are far from being a universal success judging by comments from freight drivers I've spoken to recently...

Chris

The finish in them is excellent. Travelled on Estrid when she was covering Belfast - Cairnryan and was thoroughly impressed. 

Wonder if Stena would look at putting another Visentini opposite the Horizon. As much as the Foreteller can carry more freight the lack of drivers must be costing them. Also wonder where the 240m E Flexes will end up. Only time will tell.

I wonder which routes will suffer the most from the (20%) reduction in landbridge that might be lost due to Brexit - it's basically 2 ferries that need to come off the Irish Sea (Ireland to UK). Is there enough volume for 2 ferries Ireland-South Wales in the long term?

On 14/01/2021 at 09:05, Chef said:

The Rep of Ireland and Northern Ireland are both in the same customs union , there are no shortages or empty shelves in supermarkets in the Republic but there are in Northern Ireland , how come ! my local Tesco ( a UK company) here in Ireland is fully stocked .

Things have improved a lot in supermarkets in the North this week.

Seems it was just hauliers/retailers/suppliers adjusting to the new situation.

I think one of the big things hitting the landbridge isn't just Brexit but the Covid testing.  (Despite Ireland currently having the highest infection rate in the world).

Stena Estrid is scheduled to do a Dublin to Cherbourg on the 23rd of January returning on the 24th. This is as well as having the sailing from Rosslare to Cherbourg which is scheduled to be the Stena Horizon.

Edited by Stena Galloway

47 minutes ago, lg12 said:

Rosslare next Monday evening looks like fun:
Stena (Fishguard) 18:10 
DFDS 20:00
Brittany Ferries 20:00
Irish Ferries 20:45
Stena (Cherbourg) 21:30

And a free EU approved ham sandwich for every truck driver  heading to the continent .

18 hours ago, Gareth said:

Fishguard must be the most vulnerable.  Fishguard and one of the seven ferries sailing from Dublin to the UK.  Maybe the third Liverpool ship?

I think you're right - Fishguard is a long way from anywhere but I'm convinced the Stena Europe would continue elsewhere as it's had a lot of investment in recent years. Likewise the 'odd' Liv-Dub ship - I know it's not always true but routes often work best with a single ship or a matching pair. Both of these would roughly equate to the extra ships going from Rosslare to France. However, subsidies can often disguise the commerciality of any route, by sea, air or land.

• Like 1

All seems to be working out in Rosslare this evening. 5 departures in a little over 3 hours must be the busiest the port has been in some time (not counting he Embla anchoring outside port and Visby arriving), and shows there is still room for growth with the current infrastructure. 

The main complication I can observe is Foreteller. Anchoring outside port since yesterday, berthed for 3 hours around lunchtime today (fuelling? loading some cargo?), went out anchor again, came back to berth this evening to get ready to depart to Cherbourg this evening.

13 hours ago, lg12 said:

All seems to be working out in Rosslare this evening. 5 departures in a little over 3 hours must be the busiest the port has been in some time (not counting he Embla anchoring outside port and Visby arriving), and shows there is still room for growth with the current infrastructure. 

I am not sure I can agree with that.   Unless the Inishmore stops her Welsh sailing, there is almost zero berthing capacity left at useful time slots.  (Maybe Thursday or Sunday when there is no sailing to Dunkerque but that's it and there is surely a good reason why nobody has taken these slots).

Additionally. it's very clear the check-in facilities, port lay out and access roads are creaking under the pressure.  These things could be addressed (e.g. the huge amount of unused foot passenger parking that even in normal times is only heavily used on rugby weekends) but you can't deal with that quickly.